The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SciFiRory
yes, very, a head of state, even a ceremonial one has a great deal of power (notional or not). probably some people would, though that would essentially make the UK a totalitarian monarchy if they did use those powers, so I would say it's pretty unlikely. technically I think there is no official "veto" but like I said the queen can essentially do so if she chose not to give a piece of legislation royal assent, though again this hasn't happened in well over a century. the UK system is fairly complicated and has bits that are very old and others that are very new tbh, I mean the House of Lords can technically block legislation and send it back to the Commons to be reviewed, but the Commons via the Parliament act can over-ride this as well, which essentially makes the House of Lords rather toothless, though in reality most legislation passes through it first time because whichever party is in power just appoints a ton more lords to have a majority in both houses, which is pretty dodgy in of itself (not to mention the Lords as with the monarchy have no public mandate as they have never been elected or even subject to a referendum on their powers). the only bit of the UK legislature that is in any way "democratic" is the House of Commons which is elected every 4/5 years by the public (though this itself is dubious as a process due to boundaries and the voting system used)

Thank you. That explained it quite nicely. I've been hearing for a number of years that some people over there wanted to do away completely with the Royal Family but I've always thought they could prove useful if ever social breakdown, war or some such calamity made normal government workings impossible. Sort of like having a spare tire if you should ever have a flat. LOL
Original post by Jordooooom
It's funny, because it's people like him and that are encouraging more people to vote yes.

Not sure your position but regardless posters like that are music to my ears. They don't realise how much this scare tactics and bullying like comments push people away from better together. Better together are losing trust left right and center.

Whats next...vote yes and Scotland will be attacked by planet Earth...
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Why borders with an independent Scotland? Why? Why? I repeat...if its not spite...then whats the rationale here?

If England votes to leave the EU there could very well be border controls.
Original post by flugelr
If England votes to leave the EU there could very well be border controls.

Agreed, so why try to scare voters with border talk, but fail to point out that if we vote no, then Englands vote could force scotland to have borders on not one coutry...but the rest of the EU.

Double standards much?
Agreed, so why try to scare voters with border talk, but fail to point out that if we vote no, then Englands vote could force scotland to have borders on not one coutry...but the rest of the EU.

Double standards much?

Personally I think one of the first things an independent Scotland should do is have an EU referendum. If we are going to intergrate more into the EU then I feel that should be a choice made by the people of Scotland.
Reply 6165
Oh, you're economically illiterate. Sorry, didn't realise.

Double standards much?

England has no power to leave the EU. The UK, however...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hardly a response that shows a "better together" attitude. Thankfully anyone with any reasonable line of thought doesn't think the way you do.

Why borders with an independent Scotland? Why? Why? I repeat...if its not spite...then whats the rationale here?

Do you want border controls to be set up with republic of Ireland? Right now there isn't any. What reason is there that you should have one with Scotland and not Ireland? Wheres your rationale if its not spite?

I guess it is spite.

So you mention NI only when it suits you? Unbelievable. How do you explain the tuition fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flugelr
Personally I think one of the first things an independent Scotland should do is have an EU referendum. If we are going to intergrate more into the EU then I feel that should be a choice made by the people of Scotland.

Well thats your opinion but I don't feel personally that there is an appetite to leave thr EU in Scotland, certainly not as much as there is in England. BBC done a poll last week that showed this.
Original post by Midlander
England has no power to leave the EU. The UK, however...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that haha, Englands vote (the people voting in England) would decide whether we leave or not. Scotlands vote wouldn't matter unless its an extremely close vote.
So you mention NI only when it suits you? Unbelievable. How do you explain the tuition fees?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to get your tartan trousers in a twist about England UK etc.

I say England just because its the most populated area we are voting to leave from. I mean no disrespect to the rUK. I'm also not trying to turn it into a Scotland v England debate. Incidentally I think that would backfire on me if I done that!

So I will use rUk from now on when I remember to, I also apologise to Wales and Northern Ireland, I feel your pain.

Happy?

Explain tution fees? I have learnt from science that questions have to be specific to get a useful answer. Can you explain specifically what you are asking me?

If its literal and you want to know what tuition fees are then I suggest you do a bit of research!
(edited 10 years ago)

Explain tution fees? I have learnt from science that questions have to be specific to get a useful answer. Can you explain specifically what you are asking me?

The obvious question is to ask for an explanation of how the SNP believes it can get away with an independent Scotland, a member of the EU, charging tuition fees to UK students when it won't charge them for Scots and other EU citizens. This would be illegal and will never be allowed to happen.
Reply 6172
I have learnt from science that questions have to be specific to get a useful answer. Can you explain specifically what you are asking me?

OK I'll try once more :smile:

Can you explain to me how it is in the rUKs interest to have this 'currency union?' I can see why Scotland want it, for a start they need sterlings 'credit history' to raise capital. For the rUK though, there are no benefits whatsoever. Scotland would be able to go on a mammoth spending spree and have it underwritten by another countries taxpayers, it would be poison politically. You must be able to see that this is not going to be allowed to happen?

There is no anti-Scotland agenda here pal, no matter how much you try and spin it. I would be the same if I was having to pay towards Albanias budget.
Do you mean English or RUK businesses? Salmond and Sturgeon seem unaware of the distinction, as do you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or Wales or Northern Ireland....the Channel Islands, Isle of Man.
I know that haha, Englands vote (the people voting in England) would decide whether we leave or not. Scotlands vote wouldn't matter unless its an extremely close vote.

I thought it wasn't about Scotland v England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
The obvious question is to ask for an explanation of how the SNP believes it can get away with an independent Scotland, a member of the EU, charging tuition fees to UK students when it won't charge them for Scots and other EU citizens. This would be illegal and will never be allowed to happen.

I'll answer that.

Because we have a devolved government, Holyrood has chosen to have free university tuition. If it offered that to its own people, by law it has to treat all EU Citiziens itself. However, the rest of the UK is a slight anomaly as the legislation doesn't apply to treating other parts of the country as it would a foreign EU national.

The problem comes however in the event if a yes vote. The rest of the UK becomes a foreign state and its Citiziens get treated the same as any other EU country.

I say England just because its the most populated area we are voting to leave from. I mean no disrespect to the rUK. I'm also not trying to turn it into a Scotland v England debate. Incidentally I think that would backfire on me if I done that!

So I will use rUk from now on when I remember to, I also apologise to Wales and Northern Ireland, I feel your pain.

Happy?

If its literal and you want to know what tuition fees are then I suggest you do a bit of research!

I make a strong point of the England/RUK difference because the former gives the impression of an England v Scotland edge to your argument. It's certainly how Salmond and Sturgeon come across.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's certainly how Salmond and Sturgeon come across.

This is something I posted to /r/Scotland the other day

Happy?

Can you explain in a scientific way why your claims are inconsistent with the evidence at hand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10575630/Alex-Salmond-tuition-fees-pledge-illegal.html

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/politics/referendum-news/tuition-fees-plan-illegal.23180402

And yet still you'll say its not true.
Surprisingly TSR seems to agree with the polling results.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest