The Student Room Group

Having trouble with choices! Help!

I have to choose my choices for GCSE now, and I'm having trouble with choosing. My school says these options are compulsory:
-English
-English Literature
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-MFL (Modern Foreign Languages)
-PE
-PSHE
-Citizenship
-RE/RS

I get to choose 3 optional GCSE's out of:

-Art & Design
-Business (BTEC)
-Child Development
-Computer Science
-Construction (BTEC)
-Dance
-Drama
-Economics
-French
-Geography
-German
-History
-ICT (BTEC)
-ICT (GCSE)
-Media Studies
-Music
-Performing Arts (BTEC) - Music Theatre
-PE (BTEC)
-PE (GCSE)
-Sociology
-Technology - Food
-Technology - Graphics
-Technology - Product Design
-Technology - Resistant Materials/ Woodwork
-Technology - Textiles

All I want to find out is which of those is most useful. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mr...
Well what do you want to do in life
ie University courses

Well, I'm not sure what I want to do yet. All I need is some GCSE's that can help me open up choices for a good job.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr...
Well what do you want to do in life
ie University courses

I'm definitely going to Uni
Reply 3
What do you like to do ????? You need at least one science to get mostly any job. History is hard and if you dont feel confident learning facts and statistics then don't pick that. Follow your heart and pick what your favourite subjects are. I would personally recommend you pick drama, its not that hard and there is any easy exam at the end .... basically a costume for you to label and write a couple of facts on. Hope I helped.
Reply 4
Original post by kcampbell10
Art, Drama and dance are all fun and quite easy subjects .... history is hard !!!!!!!!! really hard but follow your heart and you will be ok and pass them .... you may need to know that your need at least one science to get a job.

Thanks! I'm defo doing triple science; I probably will do drama aswell! Thank you so much!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lord Pants
I have to choose my choices for GCSE now, and I'm having trouble with choosing. -snip-

Hey :smile: I'm in year 9 too and my advice would be to choose subjects you enjoy because you'll be studying them for two years and if you enjoy a subject, it'll be easier to do. What are you best at? What are you favourite subjects?

I think it'd be best to have a broad range of subjects, for example a humanity, maybe a creative like art or drama, and another one that is maybe new (economics, sociology) or something you really enjoy (extra language? ). At my school, we're advised not to use all three options on creative subjects as they want us to have depth in our choices.

You also kinda need to think about your future as some a levels require certain gcses as a prerequisite. For example , I'm thinking about French a level which needs the gcse. But some subjects (computer science is one) don't require the gcse (I think because many schools don't offer it?)

All in all, pick subjects you enjoy, think you'll do well in and show a bit of range. There's also a Year 9 thread on the gcse forum, come and join us! sorry for the mini essay here xp

Edit- totally misunderstood, at gcse it's best to get good grades rather than specific subjects, but btecs are usually seen as inferior to gcses (no idea whether this is true) but I think my point still stands :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Thank you so much Vanilla! I will keep this in mind! I'll come join you too!:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you enjoy? What do you think you will find the easiest?

Remember, your GCSE's are one of the most important things you will EVER do in life. You need to pick something that will interest you and something that you will enjoy.

DO NOT pick a subject just because your friends are doing it/they say you should. It doesn't really end too well!

Take your time and think!
Reply 8
Original post by OliverWilson
What do you enjoy? What do you think you will find the easiest?

Remember, your GCSE's are one of the most important things you will EVER do in life. You need to pick something that will interest you and something that you will enjoy.

DO NOT pick a subject just because your friends are doing it/they say you should. It doesn't really end too well!

Take your time and think!

Bit too much exaggeration there... GSCEs aren't 'the most important things you will do in your life'; you don't need the qualifications to do well.
Reply 9
I have to choose my choices for GCSE now, and I'm having trouble with choosing. My school says these options are compulsory:
-English
-English Literature
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-PE
-PSHE
-Citizenship
-RE/RS

-Art & Design
-Business (BTEC)
-Child Development
-Computer Science
-Construction (BTEC)
-Dance
-Drama
-Economics
-French
-Geography
-German
-History
-ICT (BTEC)
-ICT (GCSE)
-Media Studies
-Music
-PE (BTEC)
-PE (GCSE)
-Sociology
-Technology - Food
-Technology - Graphics
-Technology - Textiles

I did Music, ICT, History and German.

Along with English, Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology RS,

and am now doing Chemistry, Physics and Theatre studies at A-Level

Original post by Mr...
Do a Language
A Humanity
Then Something fun!!

This is very good advice
Reply 10
definitely need some sort of IT qualification. Is there only BTEC business at your school?
Reply 11
Yeah, there is thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whatever you do, don't do IT (so ling and boring) or any other tech subject (e.g. Graphics, Product Design) unless you can cope with crazy coursework demands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Tbh it depends on what you want to be when you grow up and what you want to do at university

If your not sure then keep your options open

I think our career adviser said if your not sure then to keep your options open you should pick
-A Humanities (like history, geog, re)
-MFL
-And something fun and you would enjoy

Humanities and MFL are respected by universities :smile:
Reply 14
Reply 15
-English
-English Literature
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-PE
-PSHE
-Citizenship
-RE/RS

-Art & Design
-Business (BTEC)
-Child Development
-Computer Science
-Construction (BTEC)
-Dance
-Drama
-Economics
-French
-Geography
-German
-History

-ICT (BTEC)
-ICT (GCSE)
-Media Studies
-Music
-PE (BTEC)
-PE (GCSE)
-Sociology
-Technology - Food
-Technology - Graphics
-Technology - Textiles

To open up the widest options for future work I would recommend the ones in Bold font + one of the ones in Italics - however it would be better if you picked ones that you know you will do well in
Reply 16
Original post by majmuh24
Whatever you do, don't do IT (so ling and boring)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plus if you actually want to do something with computers IT doesn't do anything - more often than not they look for Computer Science
Original post by Andy98
Plus if you actually want to do something with computers IT doesn't do anything - more often than not they look for Computer Science

Yep, and even if you do, I wouldn't choose it over other subjects like languages or humanities simply cos it's so specialized and doesn't really keep your options open.

Although, saying that, I would have loved the chance to do Comp Sci rather than ****ty IT, I hate it so much :angry:
Reply 18
-English
-English Literature
-Maths
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-PE
-PSHE
-Citizenship
-RE/RS

-Art & Design
-Business (BTEC)
-Child Development
-Computer Science
-Construction (BTEC)
-Dance
-Drama
-Economics
-French
-Geography
-German
-History
-ICT (BTEC)
-ICT (GCSE)
-Media Studies
-Music
-PE (BTEC)
-PE (GCSE)
-Sociology
-Technology - Food
-Technology - Graphics
-Technology - Textiles

My little brothers also choosing his GCSE's at the moment. I would say go with your gut instinct- I know it sounds cheesy lol
Also, bear in mind the subjects that you most enjoy-regardless of how well or badly you're currently doing in it because you can ALWAYS learn.
Wish you the very best of luck! :smile:
Do English Bacc, and then something you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest