The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJasper
Pork Bowl... :cry:
Ohh, I really love Hachikenkun so much, I can't think of many better realistic characters.

But he looked so god damn tasty :ninja:
Reply 6461
Episode 6 of D-Frag was hilarious. It's been a while since I've laughed this much from watching anime. :laugh:
I've got Thursday off work (largely so I can watch anime, since I'll be too busy doing other anime-related things at Telford on Saturday :biggrin:), and since we're now mid-way through the Winter season, I'll likely take it as an opportunity to watch a few of the first eps I didn't get around to in January due to my internet woes. As usual, if any of them impress me enough, I'll drop something I'm already watching to make room for them in my weekly anime lineup/blog rankings.

Winter shows I'm currently watching:
Chuunibyou Ren
Hamatora
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Nobunaga the Fool (would consider dropping)
Nobunagun (would consider dropping)
Gin no Saji S2
Space Dandy (would consider dropping)
Love Song of a Certain Pilot
Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil

Shows I'm planning on checking out:
Sakura Trick
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Saki: Zenkoku-hen
D-Frag!

Just thought I'd ask here in case there was another Winter series anyone thinks I should give a chance? Or whether any of the four I've selected are terrible? Bear in mind that I'd rather not watch every first ep of the season, I've not got the time, but I could probably fit in one or two more. :beard: Thanks in advance!
Reply 6463
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I've got Thursday off work (largely so I can watch anime, since I'll be too busy doing other anime-related things at Telford on Saturday :biggrin:), and since we're now mid-way through the Winter season, I'll likely take it as an opportunity to watch a few of the first eps I didn't get around to in January due to my internet woes. As usual, if any of them impress me enough, I'll drop something I'm already watching to make room for them in my weekly anime lineup/blog rankings.

Chuunibyou Ren
Hamatora
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Gin no Saji S2

Sakura Trick
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
D-Frag!

Just thought I'd ask here in case there was another Winter series anyone thinks I should give a chance? Or whether any of the four I've selected are terrible? Bear in mind that I'd rather not watch every first ep of the season, I've not got the time, but I could probably fit in one or two more. :beard: Thanks in advance!

Sakura Trick was pretty boring IMO as was Mikakunin de Shinkoukei. Nothing wrong with them, just rather unremarkable. D-Frag is surprisingly entertaining - very high energy and fun. I have no opinion on Saki having dropped the first season after three episodes.

My suggestions would be Noragami (absolutely gorgeous series), World Conquest - Zvezda Plot (very fun and solidly written, pity about the costume designs) and Tonari no Seki-kun (best short of the season). All three are right at the top of my favourites of the Winter season along with Space Dandy & Hozuki no Reitetsu.
Reply 6464

Chuunibyou Ren
Hamatora
Hoozuki no Reitetsu
Gin no Saji S2

Sakura Trick
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
D-Frag!

From those you've chosen, Mikakunin de Shinkoukei has been pretty good. The characters are likeable and funny, especially Mashiro.

Saki is Saki, so as someone who has been following this series, you know what to expect. I've been looking forward to this one as it focuses on the main cast of characters, who are far better, in my opinion.

D-Frag, as I've touched upon in my previous episode, never fails to make me laugh, especially the last episode. There's some subtle romance that's also nice.

Aside from those, I'd recommend Nisekoi first. Yes, it's by Shaft and Shinbo, so their signature style is present, but I'm finding it less overt than their past works. It doesn't dominate, let's put it that way. The characters are likeable and the plot/premise is funny but also ideal given the genre. My friend Rika has mentioned that the manga plummets somewhat, Bleach style, but so far the anime has been enjoyable. Let's hope the anime can avoid the pitfalls of its source material.

Buddy Complex is proving to be quite good, in typical Sunrise mecha fashion. I'm not sure whether you're that into this genre, though.

Mahou Sensou is another one that's rather generic, but hasn't been bad so far.

Z/X Ignition, despite my low expectations, is turning out to be quite fun. It's nothing groundbreaking, and the plot is only starting to take shape, but it's showing promise.

Sekai Seifuku Bouryaku no Zvezda, from what little I've seen of this series, is one that will probably turn out to be pretty good. With A-1 Pictures, you can normally expect decent production, and if the first episode is any indicator, that's what you'll get. It's hard to say how it'll pan out, though. I know Cara is watching this, so maybe she'll shed some light on this anime's potential.
Reply 6465
I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't gotten around to watching Noragami, I really need to. :redface:
Original post by Aiko
I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't gotten around to watching Noragami, I really need to. :redface:

Aiko, don't suppose you could translate something for me please (well, not translate, you can if you want but, anything new?)? =l
Like 7 weeks until April and nothing new on the new series of Fairy Tail... anything new in the below text that we don't know already? (Taken directly from Japanese Fairy Tail official website).

6bd1f3eejw1ecc8lmlaojg20pu0aegm9.gif
Reply 6467

I thought that ep 4 of Space Dandy was amazing, ep 5 was great and ep 6 has an amazing ending. It's definitely hit and miss though. I would always watch it just for the OP and ED :P
And that glorious preview~ Space Dandy is Space Dandy~

Yes, Noragami is well worth watching and so is Tonari no Seki-kun and I'm enjoying Zvezda as well, although it's not really consistent with quality and bleugh saabisu.

Noragami thoughts~

Spoiler

I finally decided to get around to watching FMA brotherhood.

I'm on epi 2 and it's pulling on my heart strings
Original post by keromedic
I finally decided to get around to watching FMA brotherhood.

I'm on epi 2 and it's pulling on my heart strings

Episodes 1-13 are basically a sped up version of the original.
Thanks for the suggestions everybody... but my Thursday anime marathon didn't happen. As you may have guessed from the weather reports and my silence, I've had no internet (or even electricity this time!) since Wednesday. Managed to read seven manga volumes during the blackout (again, the Kindle has been a godsend, though the battery went flat after that). :p:

Am currently at Aberystwyth ready for tomorrow's expo, a welcome break from doing nothing. The current Aberanime president showed me the first two eps of D-Frag!, which were alright... also the first two eps of Witch Craft Works, which were fantastic. Glad I came, since nobody else mentioned it, and I probably wouldn't have checked it out on my own. :biggrin:
Reply 6471
Original post by Scienceisgood
Aiko, don't suppose you could translate something for me please (well, not translate, you can if you want but, anything new?)? =l
Like 7 weeks until April and nothing new on the new series of Fairy Tail... anything new in the below text that we don't know already? (Taken directly from Japanese Fairy Tail official website).

6bd1f3eejw1ecc8lmlaojg20pu0aegm9.gif

Sure, it says:

Spoiler

If you're looking for an exact date, it doesn't say. :no:

Thanks for the suggestions everybody... but my Thursday anime marathon didn't happen. As you may have guessed from the weather reports and my silence, I've had no internet (or even electricity this time!) since Wednesday. Managed to read seven manga volumes during the blackout (again, the Kindle has been a godsend, though the battery went flat after that). :p:

Am currently at Aberystwyth ready for tomorrow's expo, a welcome break from doing nothing. The current Aberanime president showed me the first two eps of D-Frag!, which were alright... also the first two eps of Witch Craft Works, which were fantastic. Glad I came, since nobody else mentioned it, and I probably wouldn't have checked it out on my own. :biggrin:

Ah, must be incredibly frustrating to book the day off from work, only to yet again have no internet. I know I would be. :sadnod:

As for Witch Craft Works, it's one of my guilty pleasures of the season and I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't recommend it because it's not something that's, um, that great, I guess. :tongue: I do love the ED, though. :giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6472
Original post by JWH
Yo people I admittedly pretty much never post in here but I actually have something anime related (sort of) I think some people might be interested in :woo:. Some/ all of you may already know of this game but it's J-stars victory vs

[video="youtube;iVHX4-9rpp4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVHX4-9rpp4[/video]

I only sadly heard of this the other day and now I really hope it comes to europe. It seems to be basically be a Shounen Jump version of smash bros just over a 3d map, much prettier, a lot more playable characters and possibly more chaotic. It's 4 player fighter game (which says something for me as I never get excited for fighters). Team up moves are possible and some of the attacks are large in scale. Which isn't surprising with the likes of Luffy and Goku being playable characters. But it looks to be a pure chaos and very fun fighting game so I really want to play it haha.

Though it has also got me wishing non shounen jump characters could have been put into a game like this like Edward Elric or Eren Jaeger. As seeing a titan fighting the likes of Luffy, Tsuna and many others would be so awesome.

Missed this post. This game looks absolutely amazing. I need to get this. :giggle:
Reply 6473
I started watching NANA since it was Valentine's Day~ watched the first five eps, it's great and Romi Paku is great too. Asaka Morio, this guy directed Chihayafuru, NANA, Chobits, Kobato and Cardcaptor Sakura? I haven't seen a few of those but it's clear I need to check them out :biggrin:
And that's why Madhouse occasionally makes such great shows :3

Also, KlK ep 18 was insane. Not ~quite~ flamenco levels of insane (which just ramped up ANOTHER level which I seriously didn't think was possible, this show has pulled that at least 6 or 7 times now), but gloriously insane nonetheless. And this scene where Satsuki was knocked back and rolled again made me think of Utena ><
Reply 6474
Kill la Kill. I can't handle all these twists :coma:
Reply 6475
Original post by Aiko
Missed this post. This game looks absolutely amazing. I need to get this. :giggle:

What I really like about this (other than how pretty it looks and the pure chaos of it) is thanks to characters being from so many different worlds their fighting styles are all by the looks of it very different. This isn't surprising but I like it. As long as they keep a good variety of moves in this could be so much fun.

Though I know I am mostly going to end up just playing as Luffy most of the time :laugh:
Original post by Aiko
Ah, must be incredibly frustrating to book the day off from work, only to yet again have no internet. I know I would be. :sadnod:

As for Witch Craft Works, it's one of my guilty pleasures of the season and I'm enjoying it so far. I didn't recommend it because it's not something that's, um, that great, I guess. :tongue: I do love the ED, though. :giggle:

Very frustrating. :indiff: Wish I'd booked the Monday after the Expo instead... though I do have the coming Wednesday off, so I'll just postpone everything I'd planned to do until then. :smile:

As for the Expo itself, it was pretty good! Bigger this year as well, they'd opened up another area of the building to make room for more stalls. :biggrin: I wasn't sure what I'd end up buying there, what with my self-imposed printed manga limits and all, but the wide range of blurays on offer ensured that I spent as much as I've done every other year. :p:

Loot:

Hellsing Ultimate - xDave-'s post a couple of pages ago reminded me I should get around to it.

Lupin III ~Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna~ - Have been meaning to watch that since 2012, along with all the other titles at the bottom of this blog post... have only mangaged Nyaruko-san since then!

Roujin Z- Looks fun, and has great staff involved!

Iria - This one's on DVD. Only really bought it because I hadn't heard of it before (always a shock when that happens :p:), but the character designs appeal to me, and it seems fairly highly rated on A-P. :smile:

Soundtrack for .hack//SIGN - the OP, ED and one of the insert themes were among the first anime music files I downloaded. Probably my first time hearing Yuki Kajiura's compositions, too. Shame the series itself was so boring. :giggle:

Volume 7 of Knights of Sidonia and 14 of Psyren - again, series I was already collecting last year are unaffected by my manga ban. Bought these semi-blind, as (having no internet) I wasn't able to make a list of which volumes I already had. Skimmed through them quickly to check, and managed to spoil myself pretty badly for Psyren, but at least I didn't end up buying duplicates. :redface:

1 bottle of melon flavoured ramune (which was very tasty). Bought the original flavoured one last year, so thought I'd try a variation.

1 box of green tea flavoured mochi - haven't touched those yet, but they should make for good anime marathon snacks. :biggrin:

1 pack of Panda Pocky... may contain real panda? :dontknow: :p:
Reply 6477
Very frustrating. :indiff: Wish I'd booked the Monday after the Expo instead... though I do have the coming Wednesday off, so I'll just postpone everything I'd planned to do until then. :smile:

I have quite a bit more holiday leave at my new job, so I'm thinking of doing the same as you and booking off the occasional day or two, likely a Friday or Monday to maximise the weekend and to simply watch anime for the majority of it. I just need to iron out my travelling plans, including my trips back to Japan, before doing this.

As for the Expo itself, it was pretty good! Bigger this year as well, they'd opened up another area of the building to make room for more stalls. :biggrin: I wasn't sure what I'd end up buying there, what with my self-imposed printed manga limits and all, but the wide range of blurays on offer ensured that I spent as much as I've done every other year. :p:

That's some loot. :tongue: As someone who doesn't buy any anime, manga or related merchandise, I've always felt that expos/conventions are somewhat wasted on me. I suppose you're going for the experience as well. For instance, when I went to the New York Comic Con, the talks were very interesting and justified the visit for me. I had no desire to buy anything as my interest in anime or manga doesn't really stretch beyond watching or reading either, and given that I can easily access everything online, it seems redundant to buy anything. I know it's a bad mindset to have and I appreciate that you're not buying something solely because you haven't seen or read it, you're buying it due to the sentiment of possessing a collection. Something tangible to validate your interest, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm blabbering, it's just something I'm quite intrigued about. After all, we're both very similar in that we're not casual viewers of anime, and yet, I've never had the desire to buy anything. I suppose I have other interests that I'd rather spend money on, which is definitely a contributive factor. Although, the primary reason is definitely because I'd have little use in buying a DVD box set or a manga volume when I can easily access either online. In fact, I rarely buy DVDs or magazines at all now, anime/manga or not. Digital all the way. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
That's some loot. :tongue: As someone who doesn't buy any anime, manga or related merchandise, I've always felt that expos/conventions are somewhat wasted on me. I suppose you're going for the experience as well. For instance, when I went to the New York Comic Con, the talks were very interesting and justified the visit for me. I had no desire to buy anything as my interest in anime or manga doesn't really stretch beyond watching or reading either, and given that I can easily access everything online, it seems redundant to buy anything. I know it's a bad mindset to have and I appreciate that you're not buying something solely because you haven't seen or read it, you're buying it due to the sentiment of possessing a collection. Something tangible to validate your interest, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm blabbering, it's just something I'm quite intrigued about. After all, we're both very similar in that we're not casual viewers of anime, and yet, I've never had the desire to buy anything. I suppose I have other interests that I'd rather spend money on, which is definitely a contributive factor. Although, the primary reason is definitely because I'd have little use in buying a DVD box set or a manga volume when I can easily access either online. In fact, I rarely buy DVDs or magazines at all now, anime/manga or not. Digital all the way. :tongue:

A big part of the appeal of the Telford expo for me is meeting up with Aberanime members (mostly former members, these days), it's sort of an annual tradition for us all. Not one that Arriva Trains had bargained on when they arranged the rail replacement coach... It was 7:30 AM, and the huge vehicle was still so packed that they had to arrange taxis for a few people. :p: Not the most comfortable of journeys I've ever been on. :no:

I realize I could get the same titles in as good quality for free by torrenting, and obviously do so for the majority of anime I watch... but yeah, I'm a hoarder who likes to collect things and has little else to spend money on. Although I'm starting driving lessons next week, so I may have to adjust my monthly budget quite a bit. :yes:

On a related note, after spending so much at the expo, I don't have a lot of money left to refill my Kindle with licensed e-manga... I got through a lot of my backlog while I was without electricity. :p: So, I'll be taking the free option (admittedly for a series that I couldn't buy in English anyway) by downloading Prunus Girl. :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6479
Ok, some random thoughts from me…

The latest episode of Chuunibyou was so adorable. Nice to see some much needed progression on the romantic front.

Generally, everything about this series is so cute and amusing. It's perfect for those after work evenings where I don't want to focus too hard and can simply enjoy the antics that ensue.

Hats off to KyoAni as well. The characters are extremely fluid and often you'll see more than three of them moving in a single scene, which is a rarity in anime. You really have to appreciate the attention to detail. It's a shame, really. I understand that KyoAni have found their niche and are running with it, but such production values could be better served if they attempted something like FMP again. Maybe in the future...

Log Horizon is becoming more and more established by the episode. Everything is slowly coming together and I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Spoiler

Hajime no Ippo Rising is doing what it's doing best. There's not much to say other than that. I love how they flesh out each opponent. Every fight unfolds with the necessary amount of exposition, but still remains very enjoyable to watch and doesn't suffer from pacing issues at all. Easily one of the best series I'm watching at the moment, and there was no doubting that going into it.

Strike the Blood is a funny series. It doesn't really know where it's going. We have this set premise, and essentially 'stuff' happens (all on this one island the series is based on). Each arc has very little connection with the one before it, but that doesn't mean it's bad. The compensation is that the characters themselves develop with each arc, largely in developing a crush on our main protagonist and joining his ever growing harem. It's not a fantastic series, but I still enjoy watching it each week. I never question whether I should watch this one or not, which means it's doing something right.

Ok, I've already written an essay of a post, and it's unlikely anybody will read this… Once I start, I can't stop. I've only managed to cover four of the 28 or so series I'm following. :tongue:

Latest