The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Post your form vids here and you'll get feedback :smile:
Reply 21
Hour and a half of hockey today, back was quite sore to start with from yesterdays workout but eased up later on and was fine. Good warning not to overdo the deadlifts I guess.
Reply 22
In. Good DL form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Good session today. In true linear progression style hit a new PB on every single lift. #feelsgoodman

Squat
50x10
70x5
90x5
100 5x5

Bench
20x10
40x10
50x5
55 5x5
Bench form

Rows
50 2x5
55 5x5
Row form
Form advice appreciated for both of these.

Shrugs
70x8
72.5 3x8

Skullcrushers
26 3x8

Incline curls
14 3x8

Crunches 68 5x10 Tried to do 73 but it was too heavy for me to get my knees on the ground if that made sense. Kept just lifting me up so did more volume on same wright. Looked like a ****ing idiot for a while trying to get myself on the ground but am just not heavy enough :biggrin:

Decided to do some BW chins at the end just to see if I could. 3 months ago I couldn't do a single one from hanging, now I managed 5, 4.5, 5 at the end of a good workout. Pretty chuffed. 4.5 being when I couldn't quite get chin above bar, bar was at my eyes but couldn't get higher.
You're almost doing a Pendley row, without actually quite doing it. If you want to do out and out barbell rows, as ICF calls for, do them more upright (about 45 degrees), it puts you in a much stronger position.
Reply 25
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
You're almost doing a Pendley row, without actually quite doing it. If you want to do out and out barbell rows, as ICF calls for, do them more upright (about 45 degrees), it puts you in a much stronger position.

Ah cheers. I was under the impression that you should try and be as horizontal as possible and that people went more vertical as it makes it easier. I had read somewhere not to do pendlay rows as the idea was to keep stress on your back the entire time, but thought I should be as parallel as possible. Thanks for the advice though.
Original post by illusionz
Ah cheers. I was under the impression that you should try and be as horizontal as possible and that people went more vertical as it makes it easier. I had read somewhere not to do pendlay rows as the idea was to keep stress on your back the entire time, but thought I should be as parallel as possible. Thanks for the advice though.

In my experience it only makes it easier in the sense that it's easier to keep yourself balanced and your lower back arched throughout the entire exercise. The point of the row isn't so much about mastering balance in an awkward position, it's about putting as much weight into your lats as possible, and in order to do that you need to be in the most adventurous position possible, which is upright. Being more balanced and having a better/more consistent lower back arch puts your lats in a much stronger position, which means you can put more weight through them, as well as more overall tension, which is obviously the aim.

If in doubt, google 'Dorian Yates barbell row'
Reply 27
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
In my experience it only makes it easier in the sense that it's easier to keep yourself balanced and your lower back arched throughout the entire exercise. The point of the row isn't so much about mastering balance in an awkward position, it's about putting as much weight into your lats as possible, and in order to do that you need to be in the most adventurous position possible, which is upright. Being more balanced and having a better/more consistent lower back arch puts your lats in a much stronger position, which means you can put more weight through them, as well as more overall tension, which is obviously the aim.

If in doubt, google 'Dorian Yates barbell row'

Ah thanks. From the video it seems that it depends whether I'm trying to hit mid back or upper back. Will change to nearer 45 degrees in the future though as want to work the lats. Cheers.
(edited 10 years ago)
squat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-1aJCBcFI

Before anyone shoots me for squatting on the smith, I have no other option. I know it's not ideal but making the most of a bad situation. If dorian yates can use it sucessfully then I hope I can.

DL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQdziu9tahI
Bit too close, will have to try a new angle to see my upper body but can see a bit. From watching myself I think I start too far away from the bar, and also bend knees too soon on the way down, because the bar is having to come out over them rather than straight up/down. Need to get another video to see back/shoulders as I go up. Oh also ignore the fire alarm, they were testing it. I'm not casually deadlifting during a fire :biggrin:

Is that uni hockey club stash?

In regards to squat/deadlift form:

The squats are fine, but I would advise that you switch the smith machine for dumbbell rear foot elevated split squats. It's a great exercise and a perfectly acceptable replacement for a squat if there is no squat rack. They aren't fun, but you can certainly do them for 5x5. Just make sure the bench isn't too high, your stance isn't too long/narrow, that you achieve good depth and don't lean forward excessively. Your glutes and quads will be shot.

The deadlifts perhaps need some more work. At the moment, they look like more of a squat. Don't bend your knees too much. Just bend them enough so you can maintain your back alignment while sticking your bum back. The shin position should be more vertical and your head should be over the bar. Keep your back flat, shoulders back and extend through the hips bringing the bar up close to your shins, then extend your back and finish by squeezing through your glutes as opposed to hyperextending your lower back.

Hope that helps.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by BCcfc92
I
The deadlifts perhaps need some more work. At the moment, they look like more of a squat. Don't bend your knees too much. Just bend them enough so you can maintain your back alignment while sticking your bum back. The shin position should be more vertical and your head should be over the bar. Keep your back flat, shoulders back and extend through the hips bringing the bar up close to your shins, then extend your back and finish by squeezing through your glutes as opposed to hyperextending your lower back.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, will try and take that into account next time. And yes, uni hockey stash.
Nitpicking, but I think on bench you could change your grip a little so that the heel of your palm is properly under the bar. You're probably holding it a bit narrow because you notice at the bottom your forearms are pointing inwards a bit. When it sits properly on the heel you can drive the bar better. Rip has a good demo on gripping the bar somewhere.

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 31
Original post by silent ninja
Nitpicking, but I think on bench you could change your grip a little so that the heel of your palm is properly under the bar. You're probably holding it a bit narrow because you notice at the bottom your forearms are pointing inwards a bit. When it sits properly on the heel you can drive the bar better. Rip has a good demo on gripping the bar somewhere.

Sent from my HTC One

Thanks. I definetely know my bench form isn't great so good to get feedback.

Trained today as hockey cancelled (frozen pitch) and going to be away tomorrow which is when I'd usually train. As have a train to catch was pushed for time so just did what I'm used to but will investigate split squats next time.

Squat
50x5
70x5
80x5
90x5
100 5x5
Squats felt weak today, probs cause went just after breakfast and it hadn't been digested.

Deadlift
60x5
80x5
100x5
110x5
120x5
All felt easy from leg/back perspective. Only issue was grip on the higher weights - had to adjust at the bottom of each rep. Might need to look into straps. Form felt a lot better than last time having taken into account advice given from watching my video. Videoing is definetely a useful exercise.

OHP
30x8
35 5x5

Rows
50 5x4, then 10. Did 10 on last set as it was really quite easy.

BW dips (didn't do CGBP as had used barbell for rows/DL and someone wanted it)
5, 5, 4, 5. Shoulders below elbow each rep.

Straight bar curls (all benches in use)
30x 8, 6
25 x 8, 6
Both sets of 6 were attempted sets of 8 but failed.

Cable crunches
68 3x15

Did a few BW chins at the end too, 5, 5, 4, 4. Chin above bar to count.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Had a few busy/disrupted says so ended up missing a session :frown:

Away at uni for old boys and a night out sat/sun/mon, then had work 8-6 today and a steak cooking course in the evening (yumyum), then work 8-7 and hockey at 8 tomorrow. Will smash the gym on thursday.
Reply 33
Finally back in the gym, 5 days felt like ages :biggrin:

squat
50x5
70x5
90x5
105x5
Was pretty tough, glad to be done

bench
40x10
45x10
50x5
57.5 5x5
so close to using man plates

bent over row
50x7
57.5 5x5
same comment as for bench

shrugs
70x6
75 3x8

skullcrushers
26kg 3x8

incline curls
14kg DBs 8, 8, 6

was annoyed at failing last set so did 3x5 BW chins

cable crunch
68 3x15
Reply 34
couldn't train yesterday as got called up to play a hockey match last minute. Two matches over the weekend so legs were not on top form today, felt it in the squats.

Squats
50x5
70x5
90x5
105 5x5

Deadlift
60x5
80x5
100x5
120x5
140x5 - silly increase but thought **** it, I wanted that 2 plate DL. Grip massively struggled, had to pause at the bottom to reset grip after each rep. Really, really need to get some straps or something. Didn't even feel that hard on my legs, but grip was ****e.

Press
30x10 warmup
40x4 - we have premade barbells in 5kg increments, tried to see if I could get 5 reps of 40, seems I can't
35 5x5

Row -10%
52.5kg 4x5, 1x10 Did 10 on last set as was easy

BW Dips
5x5. I know supposed to be 3x8 but can't do 8 bw dips so did 5x5

Incline curls
14kg 8, 8, 5, 4. Left arm failed early so tried another set, no good. Was pissed off so did some chins as bros need more bicep work. 3x5 bw chins

cable crunches
68kg 15 15 20

As this session was a day late and I would normally train on a tuesday (can't do weds as work then hockey), will probably do a half session tomorrow with the compounds that were not done today, and will see how arms are feeling.
Reply 35
Tues 11/2/14

Bit of a random session. Usually train sun/tues/thurs but missed sun as playing hockey. Trained properly on mon so did a mini session today to do the upper body compounds not done yesterday. No legs as hockey sat, sun, big leg session monday, and also hockey on weds so they need a rest!

Wanted to bench properly but someone was using it. The sort of guy who makes ****loads of noise deadlifting 60kg which is less than he benches. Also the type to talk really loudly about the girl he shagged last weekend with his mate. Enough of that.

Did some DB bench which I haven't done since starting ICF, man it works my chest sooo much more.
Worked up to 26kg 5x5

Barbell still being used so dicked about with chins and dips until it became free. Probably a bad idea because just ended up tiring my back/biceps a bit before rows.

Rows
50x5
55x5
60 5x5 Didn't get bar to body without a bit of leg movement every rep (ie cheated). Will attribute it to being cocky and doing chins before. Will try properly next time.

Shrugs - had to use DB again as someone wanted the barbell. Seriously, national bench press day or something.
28kgs. When I had them to my side was difficult, when I tried them infront of me (ie same position as barbell shrug) was so much easier. Guess different muscle groups. 3x8 of varying positions.

My aim at the start of the session was to get a 60kg bench and 60kg row. Bench became free again at the end so thought **** it, I'll see what I can do. Did 60kg 3x5 at the end which I'm pretty pleased with considering had already done DB bench and dips.

Overall a bit of a random and probably silly session but had had a **** day at work and wanted to let off some steam. Pushing myself helps do that.

Also placed my first protein order today. Enough of my home cooked diet giving me a fraction of the protein I need. Almost forgot to get a shaker but ordered that as an afterthought!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
13/2/14

Squats
70x8
90x5
107.5 5x5

Deadlift
60x5
100x5
120x5
Grip was losing it during the 120 so didn't bother trying higher

OHP
35x5
40 5x5

Row -10%
55 5x5

Dips
8 8 5 5

Incline curls 14kgs
8, 7L/8R, 5. Left arm failing early again.

Chins 3x5 as didn't complete curls

Ab stuff
Reply 37
hey, have you noticed any improvement in your physique

assuming you've been lifting well, and eating well?
Reply 38
Original post by tehforum
hey, have you noticed any improvement in your physique

assuming you've been lifting well, and eating well?

Don't really know. Because you see yourself in the mirror every day it's hard to see change.Will take some pics in a few weeks to assess progress after like 3 months. Have definetely gotten a lot stronger though.

Plus I drink too much/don't get as much sleep as I should to get optimum gains. eg last night ended up in some freshers room and got all of 1 hour sleep before a 9 hour shift at work today. Fun. Then out tonight, hockey match tomorrow. Bodes well for a good session sunday...

I have definetely had more sucess with opposite sex over the last few months, and arms have definetely gotten bigger. Are the two related? Who knows.
Reply 39
Don't really know. Because you see yourself in the mirror every day it's hard to see change.Will take some pics in a few weeks to assess progress after like 3 months. Have definetely gotten a lot stronger though.

Plus I drink too much/don't get as much sleep as I should to get optimum gains. eg last night ended up in some freshers room and got all of 1 hour sleep before a 9 hour shift at work today. Fun. Then out tonight, hockey match tomorrow. Bodes well for a good session sunday...

I have definetely had more sucess with opposite sex over the last few months, and arms have definetely gotten bigger. Are the two related? Who knows.

hahaha

my legs have got bigger -> success with the same sex

pls

hm, yeah, though I know that my physique has improved over the last 5 weeks for sure, obviously getting stronger.

my arms need to grow - measly 13 inches

Quick Reply

Latest