The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Cambridge (Mathematics + Physics)

Hi,

I am an international applicant (birth year:1996), attending year 13 now at a boarding school (UK). I originally applied to Queens' for Maths + Physics in the 2014 round. Got a second interview at Girton and finally received a rejection email 2 wks post interview.

I was offered a place to study a different subject at Imperial. Can I go to Imperial and then reapply to Cambridge in yr 1? What options do I have? Which college should I reapply to?

Here are my IGCSE and AS Level results.

IGCSE:6A* 4A
A Level: Mathematics (599/600)
AS Levels: Chemistry (299/300)
Physics (289/300)
Biology (287/300)
Further Maths (296/300)

I also have to mention that I flunked my STEP I exam quite badly in my AS year and I had a very serious medical condition in the past year (luckily it's under control now).

Thank you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I thought I can't apply to cambridge if I accept my defer entry to imperial (if I can convince them to defer my application)
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
Original post by Apologetic Cube
Were you rejected on the basis of your STEP I score? I'm presuming your interview didn't go swimmingly either, seeing as you have a high UMS...

You can certainly reapply to Cambridge having worked on the weak aspects of your application. As for initially attending Imperial and applying to Cambridge? You have to bear in mind that Cambridge will see that you decided to attend Imperial in order to study another degree and so questions may be raised with regards to your dedication to the course.

If you're worried that you may be rejected again by Cambridge and then not have a place at Imperial, you could always defer entry to Imperial and apply to Cambridge during your gap-year...

You cannot reapply through UCAS for any University if you hold an offer deferred or not.
You cannot apply to Cambridge if you have started university elsewhere unless you intend to withdraw and study a different course and you have strong support from the university you attend. This is partly because otherwise a huge number of people who tried to get in first time would give it another go.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html

It should be remembered that the average UMS of maths applicants is incredibly high as they all tend to verge on 100% in their maths. Only half of those who get offers will go on to achieve their STEP offers.You will be taking a huge risk if you withdraw from Imperial and try again. If he took STEP 2& 3 this summer and achieved 1,1 he would probably stand a chance but post qual applicants have to show ongoing maths in their GAP year and are sometimes asked to achieve S,1 in STEP or more.
OP, you can't apply while in 1st year at Imperial, and you can't apply while you have a deferred offer. To reapply you need to turn down your Imperial offer this year and reapply to all your universities in the next UCAS cycle.

Given your grades, it may be possible to email Imperial and ask them what their views are on you reapplying and if they'd be likely to remake the offer for you. They won't take this in a negative way.
Original post by Colmans
You cannot reapply through UCAS for any University if you hold an offer deferred or not.
You cannot apply to Cambridge if you have started university elsewhere unless you intend to withdraw and study a different course and you have strong support from the university you attend. This is partly because otherwise a huge number of people who tried to get in first time would give it another go.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/otherroutes.html

It should be remembered that the average UMS of maths applicants is incredibly high as they all tend to verge on 100% in their maths. Only half of those who get offers will go on to achieve their STEP offers.You will be taking a huge risk if you withdraw from Imperial and try again. If he took STEP 2& 3 this summer and achieved 1,1 he would probably stand a chance but post qual applicants have to show ongoing maths in their GAP year and are sometimes asked to achieve S,1 in STEP or more.

Wouldnt someone with 1,1 or S,1 stand a pretty good chance?
Reply 6
Original post by newblood
Wouldnt someone with 1,1 or S,1 stand a pretty good chance?

An S, 1 yes, provided they were able to demonstrate that they were keeping their maths up in the Gap year and their maths at interview was OK.
1,1 probably, but it might not be enough to guarantee entry to the most competitive colleges such as Trinity.
Reply 7
Original post by dlatg
Hi,

I am an international applicant (birth year:1996), attending year 13 now at a boarding school (UK). I originally applied to Queens' for Maths + Physics in the 2014 round. Got a second interview at Girton and finally received a rejection email 2 wks post interview.

I was offered a place to study a different subject at Imperial. Can I go to Imperial and then reapply to Cambridge in yr 1? What options do I have? Which college should I reapply to?

Here are my IGCSE and AS Level results.

IGCSE:6A* 4A
A Level: Mathematics (599/600)
AS Levels: Chemistry (299/300)
Physics (289/300)
Biology (287/300)
Further Maths (296/300)

I also have to mention that I flunked my STEP I exam quite badly in my AS year and I had a very serious medical condition in the past year (luckily it's under control now).

Thank you.

What happened? Can int'l students reapply to Imperial or Cambridge if they are enrolled in a U.S. uni?
You could always do a BSc at Imperial and do Part III at Cambridge in the MASt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending