The Student Room Group

Not doing well in maths

There are 10 maths sets, 1 being the highest ability group, 10 being the lowest. I am in 3rd. We recently had an end of topic test and I failed that. Got the 3rd lowest in the class. My teacher said the bottom two will move down a set, so when they move down I will be the bottom of the class. We recently had parents evening too and he said that I did/do really poor in my tests and he feels that I should/could be getting double the marks but for some reason I'm not. I said that I don't have enough time to revise he said I should organise my time for each subject. I don't know why I do really bad in my tests, I just panic and I can't think properly. Some questions I know how to do but I just forget how to do some parts and I just lose marks like that. I feel really disappointed and annoyed at myself because I know that I can do better but I just fail for stupid reasons. I think that I can get a B in maths at the end of year 11 but at the moment I feel like a failure and my teacher thinks I'm a failure because I'm always failing tests. He also knows that I can do better and now I just want to show him. School half term break began today and when school starts again I want to do really well in maths but I'm going to feel like I'm really stupid in that class because the rest of the people in my class all got higher than me.
Could anyone give me any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well it is only really is important at GCSE, trust me dont worry unless your at your GCSE's, so dont stress it's not gonna get you anywhere. And by the looks of it you're in 3/10 in sets, so im guesing you're smart and LASTLY DONT JUST REVISE, BUT REVISE SMART!
Reply 2
Original post by Nadine_08
There are 10 maths sets, 1 being the highest ability group, 10 being the lowest. I am in 3rd. We recently had an end of topic test and I failed that. Got the 3rd lowest in the class. My teacher said the bottom two will move down a set, so when they move down I will be the bottom of the class. We recently had parents evening too and he said that I did/do really poor in my tests and he feels that I should/could be getting double the marks but for some reason I'm not. I said that I don't have enough time to revise he said I should organise my time for each subject. I don't know why I do really bad in my tests, I just panic and I can't think properly. Some questions I know how to do but I just forget how to do some parts and I just lose marks like that. I feel really disappointed and annoyed at myself because I know that I can do better but I just fail for stupid reasons. I think that I can get a B in maths at the end of year 11 but at the moment I feel like a failure and my teacher thinks I'm a failure because I'm always failing tests. He also knows that I can do better and now I just want to show him. School half term break began today and when school starts again I want to do really well in maths but I'm going to feel like I'm really stupid in that class because the rest of the people in my class all got higher than me.

As long you get a C in GCSE's then you're fine - if you really need help then either invest in a private tutor - or send me a private message I'm glad to help (and I've never got anything to do) - plus, stay calm - don't panic - don't stress yourself - I'm doing GCSE's as well - I did all that stressing, panicking and beating myself up in year 10 - failed every mock - then I relaxed, ignored everyone else's results - in November I got an A in maths (doing the proper paper) - all the mocks I did this year were C's and above (even English where I was expecting an F!)
I have to say, I find that whole 'ranking' system disgusting. I can't believe that you're being ranked in a Year 10 class, never mind the pressure of being told that the bottom two will be moved down - that's not a positive learning environment!
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
I have to say, I find that whole 'ranking' system disgusting. I can't believe that you're being ranked in a Year 10 class, never mind the pressure of being told that the bottom two will be moved down - that's not a positive learning environment!

I totally agree with your statement.
Reply 5

Yeah I agree but I think streaming kind of encourages competition between pupils which makes them get higher grades but to be honest all I want is a B in maths I don't care what everyone else gets.
Reply 6
Yeah I agree but I think streaming kind of encourages competition between pupils which makes them get higher grades but to be honest all I want is a B in maths I don't care what everyone else gets.

It encourages competition - but that isn't always a good thing
Reply 7
Original post by zimzim40
Well it is only really is important at GCSE, trust me dont worry unless your at your GCSE's, so dont stress it's not gonna get you anywhere. And by the looks of it you're in 3/10 in sets, so im guesing you're smart and LASTLY DONT JUST REVISE, BUT REVISE SMART!

But the thing is if I move down and get to below the 5th set I will be made to do the foundation paper and my chances of getting a B will be jeopardised.
Reply 8

i'm pretty sure most schools set for ability

my little brother, who is 6, is being moved up to the year 2 class (just for maths), he is in year 1, and i remember being set in ability by table from year 4 (maybe earlier, i might not have noticed)
How don't you have the time to revise for Maths?
Reply 10
Original post by Andy98
As long you get a C in GCSE's then you're fine - if you really need help then either invest in a private tutor - or send me a private message I'm glad to help (and I've never got anything to do) - plus, stay calm - don't panic - don't stress yourself - I'm doing GCSE's as well - I did all that stressing, panicking and beating myself up in year 10 - failed every mock - then I relaxed, ignored everyone else's results - in November I got an A in maths (doing the proper paper) - all the mocks I did this year were C's and above (even English where I was expecting an F!)

Thank you:smile:
Reply 11
Thank you:smile:

No problemo

Original post by Andy98

Original post by JPL9457
i'm pretty sure most schools set for ability

my little brother, who is 6, is being moved up to the year 2 class (just for maths), he is in year 1, and i remember being set in ability by table from year 4 (maybe earlier, i might not have noticed)

My problem isn't the setting, it's the ranking within classes. Setting is important, I accept that. What isn't helpful is having rankings within classes. It's fine to have an indication of where you are in a class, but how do you think it feels like to know you're the worst?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Andy98

Yeah I agree that it isn't a good thing. I hate the way people are always competing with each other and asking each other what grade they got. I'm just like you don't need to know what I got just think about yourself.
Reply 14
My problem isn't the setting, it's the ranking within classes.

same - part from for me it's the competition it causes aswell
Reply 15
Original post by Hormonal
How don't you have the time to revise for Maths?

I do have time but just not enough. Maths is a difficult subject.
Reply 16
Yeah I agree that it isn't a good thing. I hate the way people are always competing with each other and asking each other what grade they got. I'm just like you don't need to know what I got just think about yourself.

If they get too big-headed and I have a higher grade then I'll tell them - just to shut them up
Reply 17

Don't worry about it I personally was really, really bad at maths yet i was in set 3 doing a higher paper at some point i thought i might have some sort of dyslexia problem but i haven't at the end of it i got a grade C which was a great achievement as i was honestly expecting a fail :colondollar:

So all you need to do is structure your time well go onto google and print out a revision timetable fill that out which subject you will revise, when, for how long put in breaks and fee time for you to relax. Also try buying a diary so that you can put in dates and stuff which will make you more organised.

Also go onto you tube and type in something like how to be more organised, OR how to succeed in exams. OR how to plan my revision there are lots of great revision tips

If you're really struggling you can get a private tutor who will help you out at school or at home. Also you said that you panic during the your test ... why don't you print out past papers and practise them all at home under timed and exam conditions that way you will get used to the whole thing and when you sit the test at school it will feel more relaxing and normal. :wink:

Good Luck :ahee:
Reply 18
OP don't feel too bad, I used to be on a U for maths in year 10 when I took the higher paper as a past paper, then I worked hard and got a D twice, then worked even harder and got a B. The key is hard work, just keep practicing. And you never know, you may grow to love maths... I used to hate it and now its my life :tongue: did well at A-level despite the fact my teachers always thought I'd struggle to get a C at GCSE.

This is your opportunity to get up to date with the work you previously did this term. If you really want to do well, and I know you do, I suggest you spend 3-4 hours a day on Maths, no distractions. I know this might sound rather excessive, but since you failed your test and you want to get at least a B you have a lot to do. Just go over the questions that you did, do it again, and again until you have memorised the ALL the answers/method and that you understand the procedure in answering the questions.

I got an A* in Maths and that was through hard work. By Christmas year 11, I had already covered the syllabus as I took the liberty of teaching myself the topics as opposed to having to wait for the teacher to do it. Essentially, I was revising for 6 months, putting in an hour of work in Maths per week. You might think that I was crazy to do that but I think it would help if you get in front of the class on a few chapters when you can find the time and motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest