The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
How so? The 50 + 1 rule may mean that the club that set the club up must own a majority, but it doesn't prevent considerable investment: deitmar hopp at hoffenheim, Bayer at leverkusen, volkswagen at wolfsburg, Adidas at bayern Munich...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It shows that you don't need to take a club away from the fans to be profitable. Leverkusen and Wolfsburg have always been company subsidiaries but the fans still have the majority shareholding.

Coventry would not be in Northampton if we had 50+1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
City v Coventry has been postponed
Original post by IMBCFC
City v Coventry has been postponed

It wouldn't have been if we were at the Ricoh.

#backtothericohwewannagohome

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Midlander
It wouldn't have been if we were at the Ricoh.

#backtothericohwewannagohome

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give us time to work on our form
It shows that you don't need to take a club away from the fans to be profitable. Leverkusen and Wolfsburg have always been company subsidiaries but the fans still have the majority shareholding.

Coventry would not be in Northampton if we had 50+1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignoring that Germany and UK are very different financially and in terms of fan attitude, what it shows is that either way, big investment is needed for clubs in the modern era. However your original point seemed to be that foreign owners are bad, which seems little more than xenophobia - for every Vincent Tan there's been a foreign owner like arsenals and a "local boy fone good" like mike Ashley - the nationality makes no difference. What makes forest a disgrace is not that the owner is foreign but that they ignore ffp, turn the place into a circus and don't look after the club

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ignoring that Germany and UK are very different financially and in terms of fan attitude, what it shows is that either way, big investment is needed for clubs in the modern era. However your original point seemed to be that foreign owners are bad, which seems little more than xenophobia - for every Vincent Tan there's been a foreign owner like arsenals and a "local boy fone good" like mike Ashley - the nationality makes no difference. What makes forest a disgrace is not that the owner is foreign but that they ignore ffp, turn the place into a circus and don't look after the club

Posted from TSR Mobile

Germany and the UK are the strongest economies in Europe and their fan bases are both traditionally working class. Sorry SLF, I just don't agree and calling me a xenophobe doesn't help your argument-Mike Ashley isn't the best example for you to pick either.

The fact of the matter is that the present model allows an owner to do what he wants with no chance for the fans to do anything about it. I repeat-Coventry would not be in Northampton with the German model.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 246
Original post by CraigWM
But your location says you're from Lestaa, yet you support Leicester. Support your local team mate. Also, why are Leicester Football Club now a bakery and putting all the other Championship teams in a bun, to make a roll or sandwich? Come on mate, general physics suggests 23 football stadiums couldn't fit into a roll. :confused:

Yoo bruv youre tryna act funny, and youre coming out with these dead jokes man go put em back in the coffin. "Lesta" is Leicester. Physics you say??
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 247
Thats the way we like it we like it like it...ohhhhhhhhooooo--ohhhhooooooooo-ohoohhhhooo........ Leicesterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr la la la la
Reply 248
Oh danny danny drinkwater
Original post by Akash16
Oh danny danny drinkwater

I struggle to tolerate Leicester fans as it is, but you're on an entirely different level.
Reply 250
Original post by Scott129
I struggle to tolerate Leicester fans as it is, but you're on an entirely different level.

Awww :frown:( Is it cause WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!????
Germany and the UK are the strongest economies in Europe and their fan bases are both traditionally working class. Sorry SLF, I just don't agree and calling me a xenophobe doesn't help your argument-Mike Ashley isn't the best example for you to pick either.

The fact of the matter is that the present model allows an owner to do what he wants with no chance for the fans to do anything about it. I repeat-Coventry would not be in Northampton with the German model.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant football economics - there's far more money in the premiership because of a greater global appeal. As for fan attitudes - it's not the class of the fans, the English fan is far more accepting of not being appreciated or respected by clubs - as an example: Leicester fans reacting to the idea of boycotting a £36 dead rubber match http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/81111-boycott-leeds-away/

Against German fans response to being charged €25 for a high level derby:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/raphael_honigstein/09/09/german.soccer.fans.protest.ticket.prices/

As for calling you a xenophobe - the original post seemed like you were saying forest are a disgrace to football because they have foreign owners.

Ashley seems a fair example - he's turned Newcastle into a laughing stock, but if you'd prefer replace him with Pete winkleman.

Yes, but the German model is hardly this investment free, good old days model people bill it as. Either way there's a lot of money going in - all the German model adds is a bit of fan power

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scott129

Oh? What happened to it being forest and derby, and us being all on our own, not cared about :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My experience of German football (Hertha Berlin and VfB Stuttgart) when on visits there is very positive and if there is also a model of ownership that prevents people such as Vincent Tan and others who most fans would not consider to be suitable football club owners from being involved, then so much the better. In fact there have been so many bad football club owners or directors in both the Premier and Football Leagues that good ones would be easier to name.
Original post by barnetlad
My experience of German football (Hertha Berlin and VfB Stuttgart) when on visits there is very positive and if there is also a model of ownership that prevents people such as Vincent Tan and others who most fans would not consider to be suitable football club owners from being involved, then so much the better. In fact there have been so many bad football club owners or directors in both the Premier and Football Leagues that good ones would be easier to name.

In fairness we have a setup that should stop the likes of tan taking charge, it's just that the fit and proper test is not fit for purpose and roundly ignored. The German model is very good, but it's not this utopia where big money investors are unheard of like some people seem to bill it.

Anyway, a Saturday without football just isn't right. Damn Preston and West Ham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In fairness we have a setup that should stop the likes of tan taking charge, it's just that the fit and proper test is not fit for purpose and roundly ignored. The German model is very good, but it's not this utopia where big money investors are unheard of like some people seem to bill it.

Anyway, a Saturday without football just isn't right. Damn Preston and West Ham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That test is farcical and does not prevent an initially well meaning investor from turning sour and wrecking the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant football economics - there's far more money in the premiership because of a greater global appeal. As for fan attitudes - it's not the class of the fans, the English fan is far more accepting of not being appreciated or respected by clubs - as an example: Leicester fans reacting to the idea of boycotting a £36 dead rubber match http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/81111-boycott-leeds-away/

Against German fans response to being charged €25 for a high level derby:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/raphael_honigstein/09/09/german.soccer.fans.protest.ticket.prices/

As for calling you a xenophobe - the original post seemed like you were saying forest are a disgrace to football because they have foreign owners.

Ashley seems a fair example - he's turned Newcastle into a laughing stock, but if you'd prefer replace him with Pete winkleman.

Yes, but the German model is hardly this investment free, good old days model people bill it as. Either way there's a lot of money going in - all the German model adds is a bit of fan power

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not for a moment have I said that money in football is a bad thing and investment should be discouraged. Not at all. My support for the German system is that fan enjoyment has not been lost from the focus of the authorities and simultaneously its clubs remain competitive at the highest level along with the national team.

There is more money in the Murdoch League which means there is even less excuse for fans being priced out of going. In Germany this just does not happen and the figures on attendance and profitability don't lie. Their approach works, and they don't gamble clubs' survival on it either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh? What happened to it being forest and derby, and us being all on our own, not cared about :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't actually agree with that view. Besides the geographical closeness, I don't like the club (or a lot of the fans) and I'd love to beat you, more so than most other teams in the league. It's just a shame that doesn't happen very often :tongue:

That bravado of "oh, we don't care about you" annoys me as well. It's so hypocritical as most of those people don't go round saying the same thing about Charlton or Blackpool, etc. The fact that they feel the need to remonstrate so much tells an entirely different story.
Original post by Akash16
Awww :frown:( Is it cause WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!????

No, don't like the club in general, if I'm honest.

How come we've never seen you on here before you were "TOP OF THE LEAGUE"?
Reply 259
Ffs, blown so many leads recently. Such negativity under Freeman. We're actually in trouble.

Quick Reply

Latest