The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rosewater1
I'm used to some people being (more or less) a foot taller than me :tongue: :wink:

well i am a male aha so i guess its natural that i'd be taller than you, but i think being smaller is wayy better!!! if your a female that is:biggrin:

being tall as a male is awesome, i look intimidating, so i never get in fights :tongue: plus it just feels better!
Original post by lNurl
Hmm thinking maybe I should record my voice :smile:

you should!! that would be awesome!:biggrin: actually now i am curious will the tone and sound of your voice change with each language? hmmm :holmes:
Original post by S-man10
Turkish guy. Tallest at 8'3 :laugh:

damn... so close... i am 6 ft 2/3 :facepalm:
Reply 3383
Original post by TheGameOfScience
you should!! that would be awesome!:biggrin: actually now i am curious will the tone and sound of your voice change with each language? hmmm :holmes:

Will you share your voice too?
Original post by lNurl
Will you share your voice too?

i tried out vocaroo, but it said i needed some flash player to record my voice so i cant record it, but otherwise i would have:biggrin:
Reply 3385
i tried out vocaroo, but it said i needed some flash player to record my voice so i cant record it, but otherwise i would have:biggrin:

Liar :smile:
Original post by lNurl
Liar :smile:

im serious!!!!
Reply 3387
Apologies for bringing this up but quick question, what is the general feeling towards religion in Turkey? It looks like a secularized country but then there also these types of people?

images.jpg
Reply 3388
im serious!!!!

Download flash player then. I actually tried it too, it recorded but I couldn't save it idk why :frown:

HWB how do you save it?
Original post by lNurl
Download flash player then. I actually tried it too, it recorded but I couldn't save it idk why :frown:

HWB how do you save it?

but it looks dodgy lol, you dont save it, you just send someone the link:biggrin:
Reply 3390
but it looks dodgy lol, you dont save it, you just send someone the link:biggrin:

But there was upload button I think. I don't know how it works need to figure it out :redface:
but for you to be able to understand Turkish(the language with one of the hardest pronunciations)

:lolwut:

Are you joking? Let's go through the Turkish alphabet why don't we:

The following is a guide to pronouncing the Turkish letters. You'd say it in the same way as you'd say the bolded part of the word. As you can see, all of the sounds bar 'ğ' are found within English and so we actually use them all the time.

A - father.
B - brother.
C - jam.
Ç - chair.
D - dog.
E - bed.
F - father.
G - gay.
Ğ - ?
H - hat.
I - station.
İ - sit.
J - leisure.
K - kill.
L - lamb.
M - man.
N - nail.
O - sock.
Ö - bird.
P - pipe.
R - rape.
S - saint.
Ş - ship.
T - tame.
U - book.
Ü - confused (without the 'y' sound).
V - vet.
Y - yes.
Z - zebra.

Turkish is also an almost completely phonetic language so words are pronounced in almost the exact way they are written. So let's try to say 'seni sevmiyorum' using the above guide:

'Seni sevmiyorum' - saint-bed-nail-sit__saint-bed-vet-man-sit-yes-sock-rape-book-man.

As you can see, it's pronounced in exactly the way it is written. You can't say that about many other languages. It's certainly far easier than English. Plus the grammar is among the most consistent of all languages in the world and Turkish has been described by some as being the 'most logical' language. The only reason why people might ignorantly describe it as being a 'difficult' language is because it is not related to English in any way, nor any of the Romantic or even Indo-European languages for that matter. So the grammatical structure and most of the vocabulary is rather alien to most. But if you're willing to learn then I'd argue that it's possibly the easiest language in the world.

actually now i am curious will the tone and sound of your voice change with each language? hmmm :holmes:

It will. Languages are supposed to be spoken differently. Turkish, for instance, I find is spoken with a softer tone than most English dialects.

lNurl
HWB how do you save it?

Spoiler

You press the bit at the bottom which says 'click here to save'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3392
Original post by RamocitoMorales

Spoiler

You press the bit at the bottom which says 'click here to save'.

Thanks i'll try again later
dude for us its easy, because it came naturally and developed from an early age, but for other people its hard

You didn't even consider any part of the argument that I wrote. What makes Turkish more difficult than any other language? I have already listed a multitude of reasons as to why it is significantly easier than almost all other languages (particularly the pronounciation part, and even grammar). I also provided possible reasons why people might find it difficult and they are borne out of ignorance and the inability to either adapt or the lack of want to.

TheGameOfScience
but this kid can amazingly speak 20 languages, but his turkish is kinda dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiXtWcQ8GI

Actually, his Turkish is not too bad. He clearly hasn't dedicated a lot of time to it (given that he speaks 19 other language, duh), so he messed up on a few of the pronounciations and suffixes. It's obvious when someone makes a mistake in Turkish because the vowels must be said properly, so any distortion of the sounds is going to alert the ear of a native speaker. The consistency of the grammatical structure of Turkish also means that any diversion from it will also be more easily noticed than other languages.

I also doubt very much that you understand Xhosa, Swahili, Hindi and Ojibwe so for all you know he may be speaking those languages horribly as well. I don't think it's good when people adopt your line of thinking with regards to Turkish. We should be encouraging people to learn our language, not scare them away from it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by RamocitoMorales
You didn't even consider any part of the argument that I wrote. What makes Turkish more difficult than any other language? I have already listed a multitude of reasons as to why it is significantly easier than almost all other languages (particularly the pronounciation part, and even grammar). I also provided possible reasons why people might find it difficult and they are borne out of ignorance and the inability to either adapt or the lack of want to.

Actually, his Turkish is not too bad. He clearly hasn't dedicated a lot of time to it (given that he speaks 19 other language, duh), so he messed up on a few of the pronounciations and suffixes. It's obvious when someone makes a mistake in Turkish because the vowels must be said properly, so any distortion of the sounds is going to alert the ear of a native speaker. The consistency of the grammatical structure of Turkish also means that any diversion from it will also be more easily noticed than other languages.

I also doubt very much that you understand Xhosa, Swahili, Hindi and Ojibwe so for all you know he may be speaking those languages horribly as well. I don't think it's good when people adopt your line of thinking with regards to Turkish. We should be encouraging people to learn our language, not scare them away from it.

i never said and dont know who else said that turkish is more difficult than any other language! if you compare turkish to chinese, korean, it is soo much easier, i am not arguing against you, as i agree with your point! all i said was that turkish is hard due to its pronunciation by non-native speakers especially those who are learning a multitude of languages, like that polyglot kid in the youtube video, even you saw that he said some words wrong as he got confused and couldn't phonetically pronounce it. maybe that lack of want to is because they were not exposed to it like we were and encouraged to speak it and heard other people speaking it straight from birth. Also saying that our language is too is easy to learn, doesnt put much value on other people learning it, thus they think its easy and can learn it any time, so learning the turkish language isnt valued as much due to its easiness.

people should be encouraged themselves to learn turkish and not think that it is too easy so that they should learn it, they should find out how 'easy' it is for themselves and have an interest that is derived from them for learning turkish, not from the encouragement of other people based on how easy it is.
ok my fellow turks i am soo bored, so i am going to ask you a question.....

DESCRIBE WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE

:biggrin:

Well my hair is long and very light brown which is always out and I usually have a thin headband on. This thing:

Spoiler

And I have large dark brown eyes
And I'm much whiter than the average Turk :smile:

ahhhh i was hoping to get away with people describing themselves first:tongue:

but i'll describe myself for you:biggrin:, medium-light brown hair varies with sunlight, generally medium brown though, medium brown eyes with prominent limbal rings lighter than your average turks skin, i have fair skin.....

now your turn:colone:

Your hair sounds like mine :laugh:

Original post by lNurl
Fat and ugly? :smile: is that enough?

Basically dark brown hair and eyes, medium to short height, esmer :smile: Long curly hair. Average looking. :wink:

I refuse to believe that :mad:

Original post by rosewater1
Dark brown/black hair, dark brown eyes, I have olive/tanned skin but my face is slightly paler, I'm also really small at 5ft2.5 :smile:

You both sound very pretty :redface:

Original post by lNurl
I'm 5'3, I though i'm medium. :frown: time to cry

I'm 5'3 as well :biggrin:

This height has many advantages :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Good weather
Original post by S-man10
Good weather

My dad's preping the barbecue :excited:
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Well my hair is long and very light brown which is always out and I usually have a thin headband on. This thing:

Spoiler

And I have large dark brown eyes
And I'm much whiter than the average Turk :smile:

Your hair sounds like mine :laugh:

WOAHHH!! :lol: it sounds like you look A LOT like me!!! :eek: which means you must be way above average looking:wink::tongue: oh i forgot to mention that my hair is kinda wavy as well aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending