The Student Room Group

Do you like Shakespeare?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jjj90
The St Crispins Day speech is... amazing. I just know it off by heart, it's just amazing, so rousing.

Same.

Branagh got me into Shakespeare too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah I've got a penchant for a Shakespearean tragedy. :yep:
No, he's a dickhead, made English so much more boring and confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by majmuh24
No, he's a dickhead, made English so much more boring and confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you mean more lexically complex, then sure.
Original post by jaydoh
If you mean more lexically complex, then sure.

I understand what you mean, but Shakespeare will continue to elude me. Still don't have a clue what he's on about :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
From what I've read, I do! Absolutely love Macbeth especially :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any essays for Macbeth?
Original post by majmuh24
I understand what you mean, but Shakespeare will continue to elude me. Still don't have a clue what he's on about :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither do I half the time but I read the annotated copies of his works and they tell you what terms mean in modern English :yy:
Reply 27
Original post by DouglasAdams
Not a bad point; always wondered to what extent they were ever meant to be read... Originally probably none...

My thoughts exactly. Not enjoying reading them is not a criticism of Shakespeare.
I like his works, I think a lot of people are put off because it's often given as mandatory school reading. Plus when you actually understand what they're saying a lot of it is just innuendos and dick-jokes, and who doesn't love that?
Reply 29
I have only read King Lear but thoroughly enjoyed it.
I like him so much that, if I had been alive back then, I'd have much enjoyed him using his quill pen on me!
Reply 31
Lmao after me expressing my distaste in Romeo & Juliet earlier, I just watched the 1996 film adaptation. The film is good at least :frown:
Original post by Lord Frieza
Do you have any essays for Macbeth?

Only handwritten ones :tongue:
Reply 33
Original post by Dylankj96
I'm studying English at Advanced Higher just now which is broadly comparable to A level. I would, personally, find a law degree a bit dry and boring but that's just me. I'd definitely recommend doing an English degree if you love the subject! Of course, as with any degree, there will be some aspects of it that aren't suited to you such as having to read certain set texts from an "uninteresting" time period but I think an English degree would be awesome. And, as you mentioned, you could always do a law conversion course. What universities are you thinking of applying to?

I suppose you're right, and I wouldn't exactly mind studying a few less interesting books with the opportunity to study English lit. Certainly Shakespeare and poetry would be fascinating at such a level.
I'm thinking of applying to Oxbridge, more inclined towards Cambridge, and haven't really considered anywhere else to be honest. So long as I get my grades I think I should be fine. If not, UCL and Imperial would also be lovely.
How about you?
I suppose you're right, and I wouldn't exactly mind studying a few less interesting books with the opportunity to study English lit. Certainly Shakespeare and poetry would be fascinating at such a level.
I'm thinking of applying to Oxbridge, more inclined towards Cambridge, and haven't really considered anywhere else to be honest. So long as I get my grades I think I should be fine. If not, UCL and Imperial would also be lovely.
How about you?

Good luck! But, just as a warning, law at Oxbridge is uber-competitive. A guy in my English class applied for Law at Oxford and got rejected despite having all A band 1 grades in his Int 2 exams (equivalent to all A* grades at GCSE) and all A band 1 grades in his highers (equivalent to all A* grades, if they did that, at AS) and was predicted all A band 1 grades in his advanced highers (which are a bit higher than A-level exams); so he basically, if you're comparing it, was predicated A*A*A*a and he got straight A* grades before that and he still got rejected even with loads of extra-curriculars (debating competitions and public speaking wins) and much work experience! I was gutted for him. :s-smilie: I think he's going for either UCL or Edinburgh for law now. My first choice is Edinburgh, still waiting to hear from them, and my second choice is Newcastle (got an unconditional offer from them). I was considering Bristol too, after they got back to me, but decided I'd rather Edinburgh or Newcastle.
Reply 35
Original post by Dylankj96
Good luck! But, just as a warning, law at Oxbridge is uber-competitive. A guy in my English class applied for Law at Oxford and got rejected despite having all A band 1 grades in his Int 2 exams (equivalent to all A* grades at GCSE) and all A band 1 grades in his highers (equivalent to all A* grades, if they did that, at AS) and was predicted all A band 1 grades in his advanced highers (which are a bit higher than A-level exams); so he basically, if you're comparing it, was predicated A*A*A*a and he got straight A* grades before that and he still got rejected even with loads of extra-curriculars (debating competitions and public speaking wins) and much work experience! I was gutted for him. :s-smilie: I think he's going for either UCL or Edinburgh for law now. My first choice is Edinburgh, still waiting to hear from them, and my second choice is Newcastle (got an unconditional offer from them). I was considering Bristol too, after they got back to me, but decided I'd rather Edinburgh or Newcastle.

Mmm, it is a problem, which you can do realistically little about. Hitting the right grades and still getting rejected is terrible luck.
I suppose therefore course choice does make a difference, for example law getting 5/6 applicants per place, as opposed to history's 2 makes a conversion course seem far more attractive. But as I said, sometimes it's no longer in your hands... Good luck to him, and yourself for that matter.
Your choices sound good, although obviously choice for you may depend on the geographical relation of the universities in relation to where you live, whether you want a campus uni etc. Good luck in choosing, although personally I'd rather settle for Edinburgh than Newcastle based on reputation, and the little I know about the Northern universities, which is in fact extremely little, lol.
Original post by Lucy96
Only handwritten ones :tongue:

Ah man, really wanted to read one
Reply 37
Haven't liked anything of his I've read. Especially Romeo and Juliet, what a load of **** that play/book is...
His plays are excellent but unbelievably overrated.
Reply 39
I think his name has become rather associated with boredom and schoolwork, but I'm sure there are more people that like Shakespeare out there than most would think.
I personally love the plays, and actually still find some of the jokes quite funny, but I think the dated language puts most people off.
Anyways to the point, do you like Shakespeare?

Yeah! I really like him! I especially love a Midsummers Nights Dream- I once had to play the fairy who fell in love with the donkey :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest