The Student Room Group

Irrational Indices

I was just thinking about powers, when suddenly I thought about the concept of irrational indices, which I found pretty confusing :s-smilie: Does anyone know if/how something like this would work.

For example, take

((2)2)2=22=4\left( ( 2 )^{\sqrt 2} \right)^{\sqrt 2} = 2^{2}= 4 , so what would 222^{\sqrt 2} be?

I got it as 42=4\sqrt[\sqrt 2]{4} = 4 , which makes no sense to me :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What's sqrt(2)? If you understand what means, then 2^(sqrt(2)) is 2 raised to sqrt(2).
Reply 2
Original post by majmuh24
I was just thinking about powers, when suddenly I thought about the concept of irrational indices, which I found pretty confusing :s-smilie: Does anyone know if/how something like this would work.

For example, take

((2)2)2=22=4\left( ( 2 )^{\sqrt 2} \right)^{\sqrt 2} = 2^{2}= 4 , so what would 2(2)2^(\sqrt 2) be?

I got it as 42=4\sqrt[\sqrt 2]{4} = 4 , which makes no sense to me :confused:

There isn't an "intuitive" way of looking at irrational indices as far as I'm aware.

I can think of 2 ways of looking at something like this:

One way, if you know the decimal representation of your irrational, is to look at the sequence of numbers

21.4,21.41,21.414,...2^{1.4}, 2^{1.41}, 2^{1.414},... and see if it tends to a limit. If this limit exists, then it will be the number you are looking for.

Another way is to think about how we define zaz^a in general for a complex number z and real exponent a.

If we first define the exponential function exp(z) by its standard power series and also define what we mean by the logarithm log(z) of any complex number, then we can define:

za=exp(alogz)z^a = exp(a log z)

which takes care of irrational indices as well as rational ones.
Reply 3
Original post by ThePerfectScore
What's sqrt(2)? If you understand what means, then 2^(sqrt(2)) is 2 raised to sqrt(2).

What? 2=212\sqrt 2 = 2^{\frac{1}{2}}, but I fail to see how that helps :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davros
There isn't an "intuitive" way of looking at irrational indices as far as I'm aware.

I can think of 2 ways of looking at something like this:

One way, if you know the decimal representation of your irrational, is to look at the sequence of numbers

21.4,21.41,21.414,...2^{1.4}, 2^{1.41}, 2^{1.414},... and see if it tends to a limit. If this limit exists, then it will be the number you are looking for.

Another way is to think about how we define zaz^a in general for a complex number z and real exponent a.

If we first define the exponential function exp(z) by its standard power series and also define what we mean by the logarithm log(z) of any complex number, then we can define:

za=exp(alogz)z^a = exp(a log z)

which takes care of irrational indices as well as rational ones.

This method with the exponentials and logarithms is really the way to go; though approximating the power with rationals does work (it does tend to a limit, by continuity).
What? 2=212\sqrt 2 = 2^{\frac{1}{2}}, but I fail to see how that helps :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Excuse me, I was trying to help you there. :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Excuse me, I was trying to help you there. :rolleyes:

I can't see how that would help, I knew that bit already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't see how that would help, I knew that bit already.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you know that 2\sqrt{2} is 21/22^{1/2}. Okay, then what exactly is 21/22^{1/2}?
Reply 8
So you know that 2\sqrt{2} is 21/22^{1/2}. Okay, then what exactly is 21/22^{1/2}?

As a decimal? 1.414....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Irrational powers don't 'make sense' as you might be trying to think of them. They are essentially a generalisation of rational powers that is sensible because the function axa^x for fixed aRa\in\mathbb{R} is continuous.

The generalisation is then the definition ac=limxc(ax)a^c = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to c} (a^x) for any cRc\in\mathbb{R}

This may not seem particularly nice and a bit abstract, but that's life in analysis; some generalisations of concepts need these kinds of definitions. Imagine if someone said to you "2π2^{\pi} is just 2 multiplied by itself pi times".
Original post by FireGarden
Irrational powers don't 'make sense' as you might be trying to think of them. They are essentially a generalisation of rational powers that is sensible because the function axa^x for fixed aRa\in\mathbb{R} is continuous.

The generalisation is then the definition ac=limxc(ax)a^c = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to c} (a^x) for any cRc\in\mathbb{R}

This may not seem particularly nice and a bit abstract, but that's life in analysis; some generalisations of concepts need these kinds of definitions. Imagine if someone said to you "2π2^{\pi} is just 2 multiplied by itself pi times".

This whole question stems from something I recently saw, saying that if you raise an irrational number to an irrational power, the answer can also be rational.

Wouldn't the complex exponent definition that involved taking a power series for the general exponential function be a better way to go about this?

Also, would this definition apply for all xR x \in \mathbb R , for example negative numbers as well as positive ones? (I have a feeling that this would give either imaginary or complex values)

To expand on this, what about numbers in aC a \in \mathbb C , would this definition still be valid for imaginary or complex exponents?
(edited 10 years ago)
This whole question stems from something I recently saw, saying that if you raise an irrational number to an irrational power, the answer can also be rational.

Haha, I'd imagine that was my post in the favourite proofs thread!

Wouldn't the complex exponent definition that involved taking a power series for the general exponential function be a better way to go about this?

If you want to consider negative reals, then yeah; from the perspective of complex numbers, they have a non-zero argument, which means for exponents between integers the result is going to get stuck somewhere which has an imaginary part.

Also, would this definition apply for all xR x \in \mathbb R , for example negative numbers as well as positive ones? (I have a feeling that this would give either imaginary or complex values)

You'll get complex values for negative base numbers, and it won't work as a function RR\mathbb{R}\mapsto\mathbb{R} anymore.

To expand on this, what about numbers in aC a \in \mathbb C , would this definition still be valid for imaginary or complex exponents?

Hmm.. here I'm not so sure off the top of my head. There may be problems with the arguments of the complex numbers when we try to take limits. It is a better idea to use the power series for the complex exponential in this case even if it could work out, 'cause it'll be a lot simpler.
Reply 12
Original post by firegalley246
This method with the exponentials and logarithms is really the way to go; though approximating the power with rationals does work (it does tend to a limit, by continuity).

Agreed.

The power series technique and sorting out a consistent definition of the logarithm takes more "machinery" to set up, but gives you lots of powerful results in return.

The limit idea was more my way of trying to motivate the result by suggesting that the original calculation still makes sense if you consider it as the limit of a series of rational powers that home in on the irrational.
Original post by davros
Agreed.

The power series technique and sorting out a consistent definition of the logarithm takes more "machinery" to set up, but gives you lots of powerful results in return.

The limit idea was more my way of trying to motivate the result by suggesting that the original calculation still makes sense if you consider it as the limit of a series of rational powers that home in on the irrational.

Out of interest, when/how did you come about using the limit idea (it is a good, low-level way of explaining it)? I was trying to tell some y9 students last summer about the number eπ163e^{\pi \sqrt{163}} and one of them asked about irrational powers - I told him to take the limit of rational powers, but I honestly can't remember when/how I learnt about this because I'm sure it never got taught when I was in university.
Reply 14
Out of interest, when/how did you come about using the limit idea (it is a good, low-level way of explaining it)?

I honestly don't remember either.

I don't think it was something I was formally taught - probably something I absorbed from reading a lot of separate textbooks when I was a lot younger :smile:
Out of interest, when/how did you come about using the limit idea (it is a good, low-level way of explaining it)? I was trying to tell some y9 students last summer about the number eπ163e^{\pi \sqrt{163}} and one of them asked about irrational powers - I told him to take the limit of rational powers, but I honestly can't remember when/how I learnt about this because I'm sure it never got taught when I was in university.

whats so special about eπ163e^{\pi \sqrt{163}} ?
Original post by Yung_ramanujan
whats so special about eπ163e^{\pi \sqrt{163}} ?

This link explains it a bit: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/4775/why-are-powers-of-exp-pi-sqrt163-almost-integers

what does the function j(t) mean. i know tau is ramanujans tau constant, i am aware of it but dont really know anything about it. What is the meaning of j(t)?
Original post by Yung_ramanujan
what does the function j(t) mean. i know tau is ramanujans tau constant, i am aware of it but dont really know anything about it. What is the meaning of j(t)?

It's the j-invariant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-invariant (this is getting way off-topic now).
It's the j-invariant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-invariant (this is getting way off-topic now).

i have no idea what that means but j(i)=12^3 !

TAXIS say srinivasa

Quick Reply

Latest