The Student Room Group

Product design engineer with a mechanical engineering degree?

I've applied for Mechanical engineering for 2014 entry and have received all of my offers but after thinking about the future, i realised that I actually really want to be a product design engineer. I feel the job is more creative and suits me more. So basically what i'm asking is; Can I become a product design engineer with a mechanical engineering degree or is it worth me withdrawing my application for Mechanical engineering and apply next year/go through clearing to do a product design engineering degree
Reply 1
Original post by Lilbixxie
So basically what i'm asking is; Can I become a product design engineer with a mechanical engineering degree or is it worth me withdrawing my application for Mechanical engineering and apply next year/go through clearing to do a product design engineering degree

Yes, it is one of the common routes for mechanical engineers well more like ( design engineers), however it depends on what you mean by designing products...if you're talking stuff like speakers, TV's/furniture/design of appliances or bodywork type stuff then Product Design will suit you better.

Actually i remember reading somewhere that PDE is actually half mech eng and half product design (not 100% sure though).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by a10
Yes, it is one of the common routes for mechanical engineers well more like ( design engineers), however it depends on what you mean by designing products...if you're talking stuff like speakers, TV's/furniture/design of appliances or bodywork type stuff then Product Design will suit you better.

Actually i remember reading somewhere that PDE is actually half mech eng and half product design (not 100% sure though).

Thanks for replying
Yeah, i really like the idea of making consumer products rather than complex machinery and that kind of stuff so I guess i should probably go down the product design route. Although I have applied for Mecheng w/ advanced design and innovation at Bath so maybe that degree would suit me Idk.
Reply 3
Original post by Lilbixxie
Thanks for replying
Yeah, i really like the idea of making consumer products rather than complex machinery and that kind of stuff so I guess i should probably go down the product design route. Although I have applied for Mecheng w/ advanced design and innovation at Bath so maybe that degree would suit me Idk.

In mechanical engineering when they mention "design" they mean analysing complex components using modelling tools (e.g. CAD/SolidWorks etc.) and you would probably be in charge of improving the current designs and making them more efficient or even coming up with new designs and report them to a senior design engineer (this could be for machinery or structure type things, it will be more technical).

Quick Reply

Latest