The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tara8000
and you would refer to the fine people of this great thread with the same brush? :O :wink:

I send my outermost apologies to you all! I am deeply ashamed :eek::eek::angry:
Original post by Princepieman
The Oxford shadowing day was amazing! I got a tour of the Said Business School and of New College for the first half of the day. My first shadow took me into one of his management tutorials and WOW, I've never experienced a more eye-opening experience - the level of analysis and discussion was more than anything I have witnessed at school! The tutor, rather unexpectedly, asked me to input on some of the ideas being discussed.

My second shadow gave me a tour of Pembroke and some of the *spacious* dorms, she didn't have any lectures so she decided me to show me some of her economics work. Lunch at Hertford was quite interesting... to say the least.

Overall a great day, until I found out my train was cancelled! I had to get a bus down to Coventry then concurrently connect trains to Crewe - only to find that my train to Aberdeen was cancelled. I spent the night at the station, without sleeping one wink, to catch the next train at 7am.

haha, was waiting for you to get back to ask about it! so does oxford look like the place for you? :biggrin:
WAHAY! :biggrin: have fun! don't forget to tell us all about it! :wink:

Will do:tongue:. Everyone here seems to be militant Cambridge fans:biggrin:
Original post by Red Fox

Will do:tongue:. Everyone here seems to be militant Cambridge fans:biggrin:

haha, well of course Cambridge is the better of the two :colone: but that doesn't mean we don't respect oxford :colondollar: haha so you prefer oxford, or don't know yet? :smile:
haha, well of course Cambridge is the better of the two :colone: but that doesn't mean we don't respect oxford :colondollar: haha so you prefer oxford, or don't know yet? :smile:

Can't say I have a preference yet:redface:, although I do pop onto the Cambridge applicants thread occasionally:cool:
haha, was waiting for you to get back to ask about it! so does oxford look like the place for you? :biggrin:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Though, I have to make the decision between Engineering at Cambridge and E&M at Oxford. The Said business school thoo.. so much awesome. *drools*
ABSOLUTELY!!!

Though, I have to make the decision between Engineering at Cambridge and E&M at Oxford. The Said business school thoo.. so much awesome. *drools*

hmm, I'd go for the Cambridge :wink: have you applied for Sutton trust UK summer school? :smile: maybe you'd get an idea as to which then :biggrin:
hmm, I'd go for the Cambridge :wink: have you applied for Sutton trust UK summer school? :smile: maybe you'd get an idea as to which then :biggrin:

I did, but to St. Andrews. I get to take two courses there Comp Sci. and Economics so, I'm hoping I'll be swayed towards either the engineering or econ side depending on my experience there.

I sense a very strong bias for Cambridge, how come? I haven't asked yet, but where else are you applying to (or thinking about applying to) and for what subject?
I did, but to St. Andrews. I get to take two courses there Comp Sci. and Economics so, I'm hoping I'll be swayed towards either the engineering or econ side depending on my experience there.

I sense a very strong bias for Cambridge, how come? I haven't asked yet, but where else are you applying to (or thinking about applying to) and for what subject?

haha, I always like there better for some reason, I think it's a result of my dad saying when he went to the open days all those years ago, he preferred Cambridge, also I fell in love with the place while on the shadowing scheme :tongue: i'm not sure about where else, it's generally philosophy across the board :tongue: atm it's a mashup of leeds, York, Exeter, durham, ucl, lse, heythrop college, and definitely Cambridge..... and then there's all the American unis should I make the Sutton trust us programme :tongue:
haha, I always like there better for some reason, I think it's a result of my dad saying when he went to the open days all those years ago, he preferred Cambridge, also I fell in love with the place while on the shadowing scheme :tongue: i'm not sure about where else, it's generally philosophy across the board :tongue: atm it's a mashup of leeds, York, Exeter, durham, ucl, lse, heythrop college, and definitely Cambridge..... and then there's all the American unis should I make the Sutton trust us programme :tongue:

Are you aware of the huge costs resulting in American uni as an international student!
Original post by Futuremedic2096
Are you aware of the huge costs resulting in American uni as an international student!

....yes... I have looked into these things :tongue: I would apply for scholarships ofc... If I was to get into Harvard I think they cover costs for those from poor backgrounds anyway.... they have crazy amounts of money...or at least that's what this guy whose friend goes there said... :redface:

Fair enough, it's much more of a tie for me - even after visiting Oxford. Ooh, philosophy? That's interesting, a lot of mental strain though, haha. I remember a fond conversation with a Philosophy teacher at my school, more specifically I remember scratching my head in confusion.

Nice mix of unis! I am (being forced) to apply to two Scottish universities - free tution etc... So, it looks like Oxford or Cambridge, Bristol (epic city!), UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

The US programme doesn't preclude you from applying! I would still apply to the American unis - you would get the same result either way. The sutton trust is only really there to give you advice and a feel of the university life in the states in doesn't help nor increase your chances of admission. I mean just check out my sticky for some financial aid stuff: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2160183 and the Harvard UK site: http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/Funding%20and%20financial%20aid
....yes... I have looked into these things :tongue: I would apply for scholarships ofc... If I was to get into Harvard I think they cover costs for those from poor backgrounds anyway.... they have crazy amounts of money...or at least that's what this guy whose friend goes there said... :redface:

That's ok then, I had this one friend who thought the finance worked the same as it does here! :confused::confused:youre right Harvard is crazy rich!!! I think it's one of the wealthiest instructions globally!

It can be quite affordable depending on your family income! At the universities that meet a student's financial need (regardless of citizenship), you could end up paying nothing if your parents earn less than $65,000 (£38,000). Likewise, anyone earning up to about £100,000 can receive generous grants.
Fair enough, it's much more of a tie for me - even after visiting Oxford. Ooh, philosophy? That's interesting, a lot of mental strain though, haha. I remember a fond conversation with a Philosophy teacher at my school, more specifically I remember scratching my head in confusion.

Nice mix of unis! I am (being forced) to apply to two Scottish universities - free tution etc... So, it looks like Oxford or Cambridge, Bristol (epic city!), UCL, St Andrews and Edinburgh.

The US programme doesn't preclude you from applying! I would still apply to the American unis - you would get the same result either way. The sutton trust is only really there to give you advice and a feel of the university life in the states in doesn't help nor increase your chances of admission. I mean just check out my sticky for some financial aid stuff: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2160183 and the Harvard UK site: http://www.harvard-ukadmissions.co.uk/Funding%20and%20financial%20aid

oxford and Edinburgh are my two favourite unis! I don't have 90% A* at GCSE though for oxford

yeah, it's just I want to know that I would be the right type of person, and get a feel, America would be such a big jump without a feel for the place... thanks for the proper links! :biggrin: I think i'd probably still go for Harvard and Chicago, but it wouldn't be with as much enthusiasm as if I did get on the programme, also I may want to apply for more :tongue: I have friends in texas who want me to go there, so I could always apply there.... cept the fee to apply isn't nice ;_;
It can be quite affordable depending on your family income! At the universities that meet a student's financial need (regardless of citizenship), you could end up paying nothing if your parents earn less than $65,000 (£38,000). Likewise, anyone earning up to about £100,000 can receive generous grants.

Do you know more about this because I've always wanted to study in America but discounted it due to cost! I want to do medicine by the way! Thanks. Also what's Aberdeen like I'm thinking about the uni
I just saw the link sorry
Do you know more about this because I've always wanted to study in America but discounted it due to cost! I want to do medicine by the way! Thanks. Also what's Aberdeen like I'm thinking about the uni

For medicine, it would be better to go to medical school in the UK and then apply for residency (think: Scrubs) in the US. That way you can actually live and get paid while you are in the states. If you want more info about this, feel free to PM me!

At the professional level (Medicine, Law, Business) you would need a degree already as they are al (except business) post-graduate degrees, that cost a LOT of money. At that level there are hardly any sources of funding.

It's a fairly dull city to be honest, but you can find a few things to do if you really look. There are three shopping complexes, an amusement park and a fairly sizeable city centre. The Uni is actually located a few miles away from town but you can get bus passes etc.
For medicine, it would be better to go to medical school in the UK and then apply for residency (think: Scrubs) in the US. That way you can actually live and get paid while you are in the states. If you want more info about this, feel free to PM me!

At the professional level (Medicine, Law, Business) you would need a degree already as they are al (except business) post-graduate degrees, that cost a LOT of money. At that level there are hardly any sources of funding.

It's a fairly dull city to be honest, but you can find a few things to do if you really look. There are three shopping complexes, an amusement park and a fairly sizeable city centre. The Uni is actually located a few miles away from town but you can get bus passes etc.

did you just directly quote the site with that first paragraph? :wink: :mmm:

Latest