The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheGameOfScience
if you compare turkish to chinese, korean, it is soo much easier, i am not arguing against you, as i agree with your point!

If we ignore perspectives then I'd argue that it's also easier than French, German, Russian, etc. The only reason that French and Spanish may be easier, from say an English perspective, is because English has a lot more in common with those languages whereas Turkish is completely alien (in terms of the vocabulary and grammar, not the sounds.)

TheGameOfScience
all i said was that turkish is hard due to its pronunciation by non-native speakers especially those who are learning a multitude of languages, like that polyglot kid in the youtube video, even you saw that he said some words wrong as he got confused and couldn't phonetically pronounce it.

This is where you lose me completely. I have just explained to you why Turkish could be difficult to learn (because it's alien). But the sounds and the pronounciation are easier than any other language that I know of, say for an English speaker. Maybe you'd care to actually ****ing explain to me why the sounds and pronounciations are 'difficult'?

You keep providing me with the same single infernal answer without arguing with my actual point.

Here's an example of another person who has been learning Turkish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvPSF2jKpE0.

He's clearly put dedicated his time to it, as opposed to the polygot you linked to me who obviously divides his time between all the different languages that he knows. I doubt Turkish is very high up his list of priorities. I think you're being a bit harsh too (like most Turks, which really annoys me actually), because I thought his Turkish was quite good, given the circumstances (i.e. he's learning 20 ****ing languages simultaneously, cut him some slack!)

TheGameOfScience
maybe that lack of want to is because they were not exposed to it like we were and encouraged to speak it and heard other people speaking it straight from birth.

:facepalm2:

What are you talking about? That's the same with every foreign language. That's why it's called a 'foreign language'! Most people who want to study, say Spanish, did not hear it from birth!....Grrrr. :angry:

TheGameOfScience
Also saying that our language is too is easy to learn, doesnt put much value on other people learning it, thus they think its easy and can learn it any time, so learning the turkish language isnt valued as much due to its easiness.

No, Turkish should be valued for other reasons. As I've already mentioned it's one of (if not the) most 'logical' language. Also it's exoticism, being completely unrelated to Indo-European languages, since it stems from the Altaic language family.

WOAHHH!! :lol: it sounds like you look A LOT like me!!! :eek:

So either you look like a girl or she looks like a boy. I'm inclined to think that it's the former.
(edited 10 years ago)
Not technically Turkish but engaged to a lovely one and been learning my Turkish words!

Is that enough to join? :smile:
Original post by theateam121
Not technically Turkish but engaged to a lovely one

I hope to God that you're a girl, because I'd hate to think that you were a guy who was stealing our women...

Spoiler

theateam121
and been learning my Turkish words!

You should learn the language. I've just been debating above about how easy it is.

theateam

Repeat this phrase: 'Türküm, doğruyum, çalışkanım'...no, I'm just kidding! There are no requirements to join this society.
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
c'mon.... :biggrin: /peer pressure

:cyber:

ahhhh nooooo tooo much pressure, cant handle it!!:eek3:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rosewater1
I think it sounds nice which is why I want to see it :smile: :h:

aha its not that nice:tongue: but i might pm you a pick:wink:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
If we ignore perspectives then I'd argue that it's also easier than French, German, Russian, etc. The only reason that French and Spanish may be easier, from say an English perspective, is because English has a lot more in common with those languages whereas Turkish is completely alien (in terms of the vocabulary and grammar, not the sounds.)

This is where you lose me completely. I have just explained to you why Turkish could be difficult to learn (because it's alien). But the sounds and the pronounciation are easier than any other language that I know of, say for an English speaker. Maybe you'd care to actually ****ing explain to me why the sounds and pronounciations are 'difficult'?

You keep providing me with the same single infernal answer without arguing with my actual point.

Here's an example of another person who has been learning Turkish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvPSF2jKpE0.

He's clearly put dedicated his time to it, as opposed to the polygot you linked to me who obviously divides his time between all the different languages that he knows. I doubt Turkish is very high up his list of priorities. I think you're being a bit harsh too (like most Turks, which really annoys me actually), because I thought his Turkish was quite good, given the circumstances (i.e. he's learning 20 ****ing languages simultaneously, cut him some slack!)

:facepalm2:

What are you talking about? That's the same with every foreign language. That's why it's called a 'foreign language'! Most people who want to study, say Spanish, did not hear it from birth!....Grrrr. :angry:

No, Turkish should be valued for other reasons. As I've already mentioned it's one of (if not the) most 'logical' language. Also it's exoticism, being completely unrelated to Indo-European languages, since it stems from the Altaic language family.

So either you look like a girl or she looks like a boy. I'm inclined to think that it's the former.

listen, i dont know whether you find arguing online on internet forums entertaining but i dont know why your trying to turn this into an arguement -_- maybe it gets you excited but tbh i dont care, whether people find learning turkish difficult or easy is completely subjective and depends on the individual for instance on this website>> http://www.turkishclass.com/forumTitle_17870

this guy says>>>Turkish is a very difficult language to learn, much more difficult than Spanish for an English speaker. It's well worth the effort though.

I'm an American, a native English speaker, and while I'm working very hard at it, my Turkish proficiency is improving quite slowly. I've been at it for four months now, am surrounded by Turkish speakers, and still can't hold down a simple conversation with a waiter or shopkeeper who speaks no English.

By comparison, I visited Spain and within two weeks was able to go to a strange restaurant, understand the menu even if it had dishes I'd never seen before, order my meal and make small talk with the staff.

Except for modern words like televizyon or futbol, Turkish and English share no words or roots and the language structures are completely different.

I'm hoping to be able to hold up my end of a simple conversation within a year and things may improve more quickly after that, as I'll have a reasonable understanding of noun and verb endings, which to me is the hardest part.

I too want to encourage you to work at acquiring Turkish. I'm sure your family members and Turkish-speaking friends will help you as much as they can. Get a Turkish-English dictionary and start reading anything you can get your hands on. This site is an excellent place to begin learning but there are other sites, not to mention course books. Use them all. The Lonely Planet phrase book has been a great help to me also.

Good luck!

and those are his reasons, as you can see this chap finds it difficult i am a harsh critique, so no i am not going to cut him that much slack, btw there is no need to swear, and lose your temper for this petty topic in which you want to create an argument for.
Reply 3426
How cool that there's a Turkish thread :biggrin: I'm Turkish as well and I've recently joined TSR. I'll definitly be checking this thread :smile:
listen, i dont know whether you find arguing online on internet forums entertaining but i dont know why your trying to turn this into an arguement -_-

Why do you go on forums? I go on them for various reasons, but mainly to debate. I don't go on them to make friends. :laugh:

TheGameOfScience
maybe it gets you excited but tbh i dont care, whether people find learning turkish difficult or easy is completely subjective and depends on the individual for instance on this website

Of course it's subjective. I'm not arguing that an English speaker will find Turkish easier than Spanish, because I've already stated that there are a lot of similarities between English and Spanish, compared to Turkish at least (and this is now at least the third time that I have mentioned that).

If you go back, you would realise that my original point was that I disputed your claim about Turkish being, I quote: 'the language with one of the hardest pronunciations'. :facepalm2:

I demonstrated quite clearly that every single Turkish sound could be found in English (bar 'ğ'). Every single Turkish letter is far easier to pronounce than say the Arabic 'ع'; the Spanish 'j'; the French 'r';...I could go on and on. Finally, I also showed that the Turkish language is written almost entirely phonetically (more so than Spanish, which boasts about that a great deal).

Therefore I am dumbstruck as to why you'd still remain so stubborn and stand by your claim that Turkish is 'the language with one of the hardest pronunciations'.

TheGameOfScience
and those are his reasons, as you can see this chap finds it difficult i am a harsh critique, so no i am not going to cut him that much slack

You won't cut him any slack but you have shown incompetence in Turkish throughout this thread. It seems a bit hypocritical. But I'll show you the mercy of not bringing up the numerous examples that I could.

TheGameOfScience
btw there is no need to swear, and lose your temper for this petty topic in which you want to create an argument for.

Just admit that you're wrong. :sigh:

Original post by ozi01
How cool that there's a Turkish thread :biggrin: I'm Turkish as well and I've recently joined TSR. I'll definitly be checking this thread :smile:

Hoşgeldiniz!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by theateam121
Not technically Turkish but engaged to a lovely one and been learning my Turkish words!

:wavey: Course! We're mostly a friendly bunch (*coughs* not so much RamocitoMorales and S-man10 *coughs*)

aha its not that nice:tongue: but i might pm you a pick:wink:

As the self proclaimed social inspector member of this thread, I deserve to see too. :holmes:

Original post by ozi01

And you signed up as an official member too. That means you're stuck here muhahaha

Welcome, and how about a quick introduction? :wavey:
I'm in a good mood because I finally finished my research proposal and I already got my grant money for it * :excited:

* even though it probably won't work :laugh:
:wavey: Course! We're mostly a friendly bunch (*coughs* not so much RamocitoMorales and S-man10 *coughs*)

:lol:

As the self proclaimed social inspector member of this thread, I deserve to see too. :holmes:

loooool :laugh: ok inspector budgie!, i'll send you a pm too maybe, if i pluck up the courage to upload it, but that means you and rosewater owe me a pic of yourself and your hair too:tongue:
I'm in a good mood because I finally finished my research proposal and I already got my grant money for it * :excited:

* even though it probably won't work :laugh:

congratulations!! what was your research proposal about/based on? you never know it might work! :crossedf:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3432
hollywoodbudgie

I refuse to believe that :mad:

I'm 5'3 as well :biggrin:

This height has many advantages :yes:

Ok, maybe not ugly but fat ^.^

I wish I was a bit taller, just a bit. :smile:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I hope to God that you're a girl, because I'd hate to think that you were a guy who was stealing our women...

Haha. Most definitely a girl. I've been reading your debate, it's rather interesting. I find Turkish relatively easy to learn as it's so phonetic in it's speaking. The only time I struggle is because people think it sounds 'cute' in my accent so they tend to laugh, not out of being mean though.

Then, I get all self concious because they laugh and think I've said it wrong. I love the language though, some great words, there's still a few funny sounding ones I still can't say without a giggle though!

:wavey: Thank you, I'll look out for those two. :wink:
Reply 3434
c'mon.... :biggrin: /peer pressure

:cyber:

Hello :wavey:

Introduce yourself :biggrin:

hello, im ugur. live in the uk. friends call me cem as nobody can pronounce ugur. :smile:))

currently taking gap year after a levels. applied to imperial (interview) ucl(waiting) durham(offer) kings(offer) lse (rejection :'( ).

support liverpool and besiktas!
bizim kisi bir ask hikayesi SIYAH BEYAZ film gibi biraz!

make me cig kofte and ill be your best friend :smile:
Reply 3435
next to friends i have black hair by comparison but next to other turks with jet black hair mine looks dark brown. same with eyes. looks brown but hazel/green on some days. #TurkishProblems
Original post by cem101
hello, im ugur. live in the uk. friends call me cem as nobody can pronounce ugur. :smile:))

currently taking gap year after a levels. applied to imperial (interview) ucl(waiting) durham(offer) kings(offer) lse (rejection :'( ).

support liverpool and besiktas!
bizim kisi bir ask hikayesi SIYAH BEYAZ film gibi biraz!

make me cig kofte and ill be your best friend :smile:

what course are you hoping to study if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 3437
what course are you hoping to study if you dont mind me asking?

theyre not all the same at all unis but roughly accounting and finance or maths with finance. :smile: imperial and ucl would be a toss up for firm. have an interview with imperial on wednesday.
Original post by cem101
theyre not all the same at all unis but roughly accounting and finance or maths with finance. :smile: imperial and ucl would be a toss up for firm. have an interview with imperial on wednesday.

woah congratulations, they are very prestigious uni's im guessing you did maths, further maths, physics and economics at a level, am i right?:biggrin:

btw i have also noticed that so many people are doing maths these days, or math orientated subjects, not that its a bad thing, just noticed its kind of getting common
Reply 3439
woah congratulations, they are very prestigious uni's im guessing you did maths, further maths, physics and economics at a level, am i right?:biggrin:

btw i have also noticed that so many people are doing maths these days, or math orientated subjects, not that its a bad thing, just noticed its kind of getting common

yes i would say the numbers are increasing too, but it just gives more reason for me to try get into a great uni :smile: fierce competition

Quick Reply

Latest