The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zahra_d
I'm doing my coursework on the writers' presentation of the nature of love. Looking at Othello, Birdsong & Wuthering Heights. Oh we did our mocks in November, but since we'd only been focusing on coursework (and our head of sixth form was making us do a mock for English) it was just to see how we'd cope with the exam style so we weren't expected to do well, lol. I found it alright though, just recapped on wider reading from last year, did a few practice paragraphs and ended up getting a B - good luck! Hope it all goes well :smile:

What are you doing your coursework on? And which texts?

No way! I'm doing Othello, Wuthering Heights and Tess of the D'Urbervilles but our coursework is on the representations of villains. I really need to start preparing for the exam I've got so lazy, what theme did you do last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 361
Original post by hudsonxoxo
No way! I'm doing Othello, Wuthering Heights and Tess of the D'Urbervilles but our coursework is on the representations of villains. I really need to start preparing for the exam I've got so lazy, what theme did you do last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh awesome!! I love Tess of the D'Urbervilles! Man I wish we could have studied it, so jealous - last year I did my title was: “Tennessee Williams uses clothing to characterise in A Streetcar Named Desire, whereas Atwood uses it to define in The Handmaid’s Tale How far do you agree? And the second part was on how Atwood presents the act of resistance in The Handmaid's Tale.

Was really interesting to do, and I must admit the title I'm doing this year is so vast that I have to be really selective in what I write, eek! What was yours last year? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zahra_d
Oh awesome!! I love Tess of the D'Urbervilles! Man I wish we could have studied it, so jealous - last year I did my title was: “Tennessee Williams uses clothing to characterise in A Streetcar Named Desire, whereas Atwood uses it to define in The Handmaid’s Tale How far do you agree? And the second part was on how Atwood presents the act of resistance in The Handmaid's Tale.

Was really interesting to do, and I must admit the title I'm doing this year is so vast that I have to be really selective in what I write, eek! What was yours last year? :smile:

Oh sounds good :smile: I did war last year so did Journey's End, Accrington Pals and Regeneration. I can't remember the exact question but we got to make it up. I think I've seen you in another thread, you've applied for Literature at Kings haven't you? I was going to apply for it too but went for Language and Communication there instead

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 363
Yeah I have! Read about your offer, congrats! I'm still impatiently waiting, lol - what does the "communication" part entail?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zahra_d
Yeah I have! Read about your offer, congrats! I'm still impatiently waiting, lol - what does the "communication" part entail?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's basically linguistics but there's a massive choice of topics compared to other courses I have seen and thankyou! Let me know when Kings reply to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a 'screenshot' of a post on another thread,please help me if you can

'Currently I'm doing A2 Maths with MEI.I got these unit grades at AS.
c1 - 66 UMS (on resit)
c2 - 50 UMS
S1 - 53 UMS
Overall - D
Despite 'thinking' i worked hard for them exams - i realised that my faliure to get the grade that i wanted came down to my confidence when dealing with questions.I mean i did past papers before then,and i did well on them for all of the units,but when it came to the exam,somehow i lost my confidence to tackle some questions which were both easy and hard and just left them incomplete.In the case of C1,well although the grade boundaries were 61/72 for an A with me roughly getting 52/72 raw marks i just didnt feel confident.

So for resits i'm doing both C1 and C2 along with C3,C4 and M1 and to be honest,i'm actually confident I can get a B at least .I'm currently revising C3 and I like it,I can remember quite a lot of techniques,C4 is okay i think but M1 i struggle with but i'm learning slowly But the problem I have with C3 is that i keep fearing that i wont remember the stuff on the day of the exam.
My question is this - how do i improve my confidence so i do well in the exams,and secondly,but whats the best way of doing well in Maths,given my situation,I've already revised C1 and C2 and nearly done C3,as ive got 13 exams in the summer,but i really really would appreciate it if you can give me advice

Thanks'
Original post by krishkmistry

c1 - 66 UMS (on resit)
c2 - 50 UMS
S1 - 53 UMS
Overall - D
Despite 'thinking' i worked hard for them exams - i realised that my faliure to get the grade that i wanted came down to my confidence when dealing with questions.I mean i did past papers before then,and i did well on them for all of the units,but when it came to the exam,somehow i lost my confidence to tackle some questions which were both easy and hard and just left them incomplete.In the case of C1,well although the grade boundaries were 61/72 for an A with me roughly getting 52/72 raw marks i just didnt feel confident.

So for resits i'm doing both C1 and C2 along with C3,C4 and M1 and to be honest,i'm actually confident I can get a B at least .I'm currently revising C3 and I like it,I can remember quite a lot of techniques,C4 is okay i think but M1 i struggle with but i'm learning slowly But the problem I have with C3 is that i keep fearing that i wont remember the stuff on the day of the exam.
My question is this - how do i improve my confidence so i do well in the exams,and secondly,but whats the best way of doing well in Maths,given my situation,I've already revised C1 and C2 and nearly done C3,as ive got 13 exams in the summer,but i really really would appreciate it if you can give me advice

Thanks'

I am literally in the same boat as you but i got an E for AS maths (i know it's terrrrrrrrible) i'm retaking c2 and d1 along with my A2 maths so i have 9 exams. I have a tutor every friday who goes through things with me even though in class we've moved on to the next topics. Done c3 should be starting c4 after the holidays. Tbh it's all practice, practice a few questions for each topic for each exam everydsy. Doing c4 and c3 will help with AS and once you've revised AS just keep on doing past papers even the 2001 ones. It's hard to commit and practice EVERYDAY, i'm struggling to do so :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishkmistry

c1 - 66 UMS (on resit)
c2 - 50 UMS
S1 - 53 UMS
Overall - D

Thanks'

Got E in As maths but I swear the effort I put in didn't reflect on my grade. Did all past papers too.

So I'm doing AS and A2 at same time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Blade
Got E in As maths but I swear the effort I put in didn't reflect on my grade. Did all past papers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

EVERYONE always claims this

"I did all the past papers, every single one!"

This is utter nonsense. I did 22 C3 Maths papers in the run up to my A2 exam and that was not all the past papers that were available (exam board, solomon etc). If you had done all the past papers, or at least all the exam board ones, doubtless you would not have got an E grade.
Original post by prettyugly
I am literally in the same boat as you but i got an E for AS maths (i know it's terrrrrrrrible) i'm retaking c2 and d1 along with my A2 maths so i have 9 exams. I have a tutor every friday who goes through things with me even though in class we've moved on to the next topics. Done c3 should be starting c4 after the holidays. Tbh it's all practice, practice a few questions for each topic for each exam everydsy. Doing c4 and c3 will help with AS and once you've revised AS just keep on doing past papers even the 2001 ones. It's hard to commit and practice EVERYDAY, i'm struggling to do so :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i hope so - i doubt its that hard to turn it around in A2,because for one AS units are quite easy when you get 2 A2,and if you think you can do it and really commit to it,you can.I'm just in the situation where I know i get the stuff,and I want to do well so much but I just cant quite think i can remember the stuff on the day although i know it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

well if you look at my case,i didnt do all the past papers for maths particularly but i worked 5 hours a day for my other AS subjects like chemistry and biology,and i got a c and b respectively,so to be honest, i learned its about how much you understand the stuff from the past papers,not necessarily how much you do!

Original post by Surrey Bubble15
EVERYONE always claims this

"I did all the past papers, every single one!"

This is utter nonsense. I did 22 C3 Maths papers in the run up to my A2 exam and that was not all the past papers that were available (exam board, solomon etc). If you had done all the past papers, or at least all the exam board ones, doubtless you would not have got an E grade.

What did you get in that exam may i ask ? :smile:
Currently doing Maths and Physics amongst others for AS. They don't come naturally to me and I'd do anything to get a B in them. Physics I'm finding difficult (the mechanics stuff) getting E's in tests and Maths a mixture. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on revising etc I know it's early but I'm really determined! Thanks :smile:
Reply 371
Original post by nukethemaly
During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.

Congratulations on your amazing results! I am in a similar position - I had BCCD at AS, in Chemistry, Biology, Economics and Maths also due to laziness. Any tips on how to improve? :smile:
Id love to know some tips!
At AS i got CCDE (History, Psychology, Chemistry and Biology)
I need to get ABB to get to the uni i want. My biggest concern is not getting a B in biology as its my weaker subject. Im currently sitting on a C/D borderline and i just can't seem to progress!!
Reply 373
How did you go from a D in chemistry to an A* , I mean what was your plan?
I got BBEE in AS. Worked my butt off everyday in the school library and IT room-got AAA in year 13. Now at Oxford.:badger::bban:
Original post by maidoftheseas
I got BBEE in AS. Worked my butt off everyday in the school library and IT room-got AAA in year 13. Now at Oxford.:badger::bban:

Did you go through adjustment and what course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you go through adjustment and what course

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think Oxbridge participate in adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tutankhamun
I don't think Oxbridge participate in adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then how the hell did he get an offer with BBEE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Then how the hell did he get an offer with BBEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

He got AAA in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ross95
He got AAA in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but they look at your AS grades. Guess he got AAA took a gap year then reapplied

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest