The Student Room Group

Good A-Level Choices To Become A Qualified Accountant?

Hi

I'm currently in year 11 and I am choosing my A-Levels to become a Accountant but im not sure if their the right choices?
So i was wondering if some one would offer their advice.

My A-level choices are:

Biology (back up)
Chemistry or ICT (back up)
Accounting (Accounts)
Economics (Accounts)

Are these good choices to make to have the best shot at becoming a qualified accountant and getting into a good uni, (Oxford Brookes).

Thanks in advance.

DerekODwam
Reply 1
If you're looking to go to oxford (or somewhere like that) then I would suggest maths a level along with other traditional subjects. Accounting isn't really necessary but it would help.
A good combination would include Maths. An excellent combination would include Further Maths. Accounting is not essential (and sometimes even discouraged - make sure to check the entry requirements), but Economics would be helpful. Apart from this, 'traditional' subjects would definitely be an advantage.
Original post by paulpscully
A good combination would include Maths. An excellent combination would include Further Maths. Accounting is not essential (and sometimes even discouraged - make sure to check the entry requirements), but Economics would be helpful. Apart from this, 'traditional' subjects would definitely be an advantage.

Further Maths is entirely unnecessary
I would definitely recommend Maths A Level.
Reply 5
Hi
Maths and a combination of traditional subjects would give you the most options.

For example, for Accounting and Finance at Warwick:

"A range of Advanced/Higher Level subjects, including Mathematics or a natural science, and a humanities or social science subject is preferred for entry. However, all applications will be considered on an individual basis. Normally at least seven GCSE passes (or equivalent) grades A or B including A in Mathematics and B in English" http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/nn34/

At LSE:

"Programme requirement: GCSE pass at grade A or above in Mathematics, or A level at grade A or above in Mathematics (or equivalent). No specific subjects are required at A level, although candidates normally have A level Mathematics (or equivalent). Candidates offering A level(s) in the humanities are encouraged to apply. Those candidates who do not have A level Mathematics (or equivalent) should be prepared to develop their mathematical skills, and will be provided with support including tailored first year courses in mathematics and statistics " http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2014/accountingAndFinance/NN34_BSc_accfin.aspx

Bath have a prefered list which is worth looking at: http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/prospectus/subject/accounting-finance/entry-requirements/

Good luck
Reply 6
Maths, the rest doesn't matter so long as they are good enough to get into University.

Accounting and Economics are nearly useless at A-Level because you'll go over them in what feels like a few lectures at University.

Don't do Accountancy at University either, do something broad-based and business/economics related, doesn't make a difference to how Big 4 or other accountancy firms will look at you, but it will increase your general knowledge and really give you a good contextual understanding of the environment that companies operate in. Industry specifics you will gain primarily through the work you do when you get a job.
I'm in the same boat as you, if I don't go into accountancy it will be something similar.

i am choosing at AS next year...

1) Maths
2) Business
3) History
4) Government & Politics
Reply 8
The A-Levels you take don't matter all that much for a career in Accountancy. To go into any decent career my advice on A-Levels is to challenge yourself as far as you can without negatively impacting your grade potential. Recruiters and universities will look at grades first, subjects second.

However, if you really want to do A-Levels that will give you some useful skills as an accountant, I would advise:

ICT
Mathematics
Economics
A language

Do Business Studies if you want, but you shouldn't double up with Economics, which is the more respectable of the two. I think ICT is the most useful A-Level of all as it will be the least covered in your Accountancy studies (languages aside of course) but it's a knowledge area that is becoming increasingly important for accountants to have (and I don't just mean Excel, Accountants with VBA skills are much more sought after than those without).
Original post by DerekODwam
Hi

I'm currently in year 11 and I am choosing my A-Levels to become a Accountant but im not sure if their the right choices?
So i was wondering if some one would offer their advice.

My A-level choices are:

Biology (back up)
Chemistry or ICT (back up)
Accounting (Accounts)
Economics (Accounts)

Are these good choices to make to have the best shot at becoming a qualified accountant and getting into a good uni, (Oxford Brookes).

Thanks in advance.

DerekODwam

Hi Derek,

How's A-Level choosing going? Have you submitted your choices yet?

If you already know you're interested in studying accounting I'd recommend, as others have already suggested, popping a maths subject in there. Some humanities subjects are also respected by accountancy companies but economics is a great choice!

I would say the accountancy a-level isn't 100% necessary as not many schools actually offer this so it's unusual that a candidate will have it. However if you want to start studying already then go for it!

You mentioned you were looking to study it at university (Brookes), are you sure you want to go to uni to study accountancy. I don't know whether you're aware of the other routes into the industry - but many of them avoid the university fees and will fast track you onto becoming a chartered accountant. Companies like BDO, PwC and EY run fantastic school leaver programmes which involve training you up as an accountant whilst also paying you a salary of up to £26k aged 18!! If you know you want to go to university then why not be sponsored through it? Lots of accountancy companies will fund you through uni through scholarship/sponsored degree programmes. I'd recommend having a look before tailoring for university.

I'd also say, getting a job is more about experience than about qualifications - thousands of students will graduate university at the same time as you with the same qualification from the same or a similar course. However, what would set you apart from those on a job application. This is what you must start thinking about - even now!!!

I hope I've helped :smile: and good luck with submitting those choices!

Felicity
Original post by Felicity RMA
Hi Derek,

How's A-Level choosing going? Have you submitted your choices yet?

If you already know you're interested in studying accounting I'd recommend, as others have already suggested, popping a maths subject in there. Some humanities subjects are also respected by accountancy companies but economics is a great choice!

I would say the accountancy a-level isn't 100% necessary as not many schools actually offer this so it's unusual that a candidate will have it. However if you want to start studying already then go for it!

You mentioned you were looking to study it at university (Brookes), are you sure you want to go to uni to study accountancy. I don't know whether you're aware of the other routes into the industry - but many of them avoid the university fees and will fast track you onto becoming a chartered accountant. Companies like BDO, PwC and EY run fantastic school leaver programmes which involve training you up as an accountant whilst also paying you a salary of up to £26k aged 18!! If you know you want to go to university then why not be sponsored through it? Lots of accountancy companies will fund you through uni through scholarship/sponsored degree programmes. I'd recommend having a look before tailoring for university.

I'd also say, getting a job is more about experience than about qualifications - thousands of students will graduate university at the same time as you with the same qualification from the same or a similar course. However, what would set you apart from those on a job application. This is what you must start thinking about - even now!!!

I hope I've helped :smile: and good luck with submitting those choices!

Felicity

I agree with most of your post, but the 26k figure for school leavers seems very optimistic. Who pays that to 18 year olds? Maybe by the end of the programme, but not when you join.
Original post by Hedgeman49
I agree with most of your post, but the 26k figure for school leavers seems very optimistic. Who pays that to 18 year olds? Maybe by the end of the programme, but not when you join.

Pretty amazing isn't it?! The starting salary for many of PwC's Higher Apprentice's is up to £26,000! We couldn't believe it either! However, this is obviously dependent on the offer they give you and the living costs of the location you are based in. ** I should add, PwC is rare and that pay is by no means the 'norm'
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felicity RMA
Pretty amazing isn't it?! The starting salary for many of PwC's Higher Apprentice's is up to £26,000! We couldn't believe it either! However, this is obviously dependent on the offer they give you and the living costs of the location you are based in. ** I should add, PwC is rare and that pay is by no means the 'norm'

I still strongly doubt it, I just had a look through several reviews on that rate my apprenticeship site you linked and they ranged from £13,500 (Belfast) to £20,000 (London).

The only Big Four that publicly publishes their school leaver salary is KPMG and they pay £20k, so I would assume that is pretty indicative of the rest of them
Reply 13
Wow, they're still paying average starting salaries of £20k? It was £20k when I started in 2004; so much for inflation eh? And the older generations claim you're not being fleeced...
Original post by Hedgeman49
I still strongly doubt it, I just had a look through several reviews on that rate my apprenticeship site you linked and they ranged from £13,500 (Belfast) to £20,000 (London).

The only Big Four that publicly publishes their school leaver salary is KPMG and they pay £20k, so I would assume that is pretty indicative of the rest of them

Hi there,

Indeed - of course it varies depending on location and the candidate. That may be the case, however this is the salary PwC have told us they pay up to for their Higher Apprenticeship programme. You're right, it is very high so it's unlikely its a common pay cheque that all their intake receive.

Have a good day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending