The Student Room Group

Masters

I've got a couple of questions for when you do a Masters.
When do you apply for a masters?
Do you put your second year results down for your Masters or second year results and Januarys results for the third year.
I don't think i'm going to do so well in my second year which i'm currently in so i'm scarred about doing my Masters. Also i intend on doing my Masters to a different uni.
And final questions which is a bit of related. Which is better UCL or Loughborough for engineering?
TY in advance guys
Reply 1
Original post by bahjat93

Unlike undergrad degrees, there's no central system and most unis will manage their own Master entry process. It's usual to apply during your third undergrad year as that's when your referees will have the clearest idea of your projected final result. Generally, unis accept applications as soon as you want to apply. Popular courses at universities with good reputations can fill very soon, so an early application is advised. If there are places available, some will consider applications up until a few weeks before the course starts.

Do you put your second year results down for your Masters or second year results and Januarys results for the third year.

I can only speak for my Masters, but they only asked for my projected final degree result. They didn't ask for my individual second or third year's results.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Unlike undergrad degrees, there's no central system and most unis will manage their own Master entry process. It's usual to apply during your third undergrad year as that's when your referees will have the clearest idea of your projected final result. Generally, unis accept applications as soon as you want to apply. Popular courses at universities with good reputations can fill very soon, so an early application is advised. If there are places available, some will consider applications up until a few weeks before the course starts.

I can only speak for my Masters, but they only asked for my projected final degree result. They didn't ask for my individual second or third year's results.

I don't want to be nosey but what degree was that?
Also do you have any idea when Imperial College Londons master courses is likely to have a dead line? On there website they have a TBC on their deadline date
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88

At my uni masters applicants are asked to provide a transcript of all their results available by the time of application. So it is uni-dependent.

OP, all the unis should have details on their websites of what documentation you are expected to supply with application, including what academic results they want.
Reply 4
Original post by sj27
At my uni masters applicants are asked to provide a transcript of all their results available by the time of application. So it is uni-dependent.

That's true - as I said, I can only speak for my Masters uni. My uni didn't ask to see any kind of transcript until the day I formally enrolled, at which point I was already on my way to the first Induction Day lecture.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by bahjat93
I've got a couple of questions for when you do a Masters.
I don't think i'm going to do so well in my second year which i'm currently in so i'm scarred about doing my Masters. Also i intend on doing my Masters to a different uni.
And final questions which is a bit of related. Which is better UCL or Loughborough for engineering?
TY in advance guys

Any time from start of third year onwards normally. If you want to go as soon as you've finished your undergrad degree its typical to apply as soon as you can in third year- its normally first come first served with applications closing when they are full.

UEA asked for a transcript of my studies which has my first and second year results on it, Kings just said you can send a transcript if you want or you can put down your results manually.

And that question depends on what area of engineering I would imagine.

Also remember no student finance for postgraduate engineering courses (as with the majority of courses)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending