The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes Applicants for September 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KehRawwr
What's the best and worst thing about Brookes in your opinion?? :smile:

The best thing would probably be the quality of the teaching staff. Every one of my lecturers, seminar leaders, etc. really does care, and they're acutely aware of the fact that students are expecting more from their courses now that the tuition fee has nearly tripled.

The worst thing is likely the organisational skill of senior staff. Just as an example, we're currently having a new building approaching the end of construction. The plan is to close the entire library, mid-semester, for nearly a week, about a month before the final-year projects are due from the senior undergraduate students. This is in order to facilitate the movement of the library to the new building. It seems like it would make a lot more sense to wait until Easter, and then move the library while nobody's around.

There are obviously plus and minus points about the city, too. Oxford is nearly as expensive as London, but there's no additional "Oxford allowance" as you see from student finance for universities in London. That said, Oxford is highly cultural and there's always things going on. It's also reasonably easy to find a part-time job if the financial situation calls for it.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 381
Original post by Heather0502
The interview sounds like it was the same as yours last it. It was so lovely, just makes me want to go there even more! If I do receive a place it will be my first choice, and would apply to stay at Westminster Halls also. They were so nice but yes very pricey!

Ah good luck then!
Reply 382
Hi, I have applied for Human Biology at Brookes, the modules are very interesting and the uni itself looks appealing to me! :smile: I have had an offer from them as well! How about you? :smile:
Original post by lindars
Ah good luck then!

Woo I got in! :smile:
Original post by marky--mark
I'm a current second-year Biology student at Brookes! Ask me anything.

What do you love and what do you hate about Oxford?
I'm a current second-year Biology student at Brookes! Ask me anything.

How do/did you find the accommodation, assuming you lived/live in halls? Would there be a specific hall you would recommend or warn against? I'm a little concerned because the accommodation is pretty different from the universities where I'm from, and I can't fly all the way to England to look at the halls. :smile:
Original post by eduardoblopes
What do you love and what do you hate about Oxford?

I love the history and the character of the city. There's such a wide variety- from intimate live jazz performances in restaurants, to clubbing, to museums (including the Ashmolean museum- the first purpose-built museum in the world). There's something for anyone, and with Brookes you can go just about anywhere in the city for free or very cheaply with the BrookesKey bus pass.

What I don't like is the fact that, despite the freedom given to you by the BrookesKey, if you're in student housing you aren't allowed to have a car in the city. Shopping in the city, while adequate, leaves something to be desired. Oxford may be the only city I've ever been to where there are no 24-hour shops AT ALL within walking distance of the city centre, and past midnight the buses pretty much stop. I have a bar job and so quite often have cause to go shopping at about 2-3am and I quite simply can't.
Original post by maggiesoares
How do/did you find the accommodation, assuming you lived/live in halls? Would there be a specific hall you would recommend or warn against? I'm a little concerned because the accommodation is pretty different from the universities where I'm from, and I can't fly all the way to England to look at the halls. :smile:

Accommodation at Brookes is expensive, but most of it is really nice. I stayed in Clive Booth (non-ensuite) for my first year, and stayed in Cheney student village over the summer. Both halls have a real sense of community and are just a few minutes walk from the Gypsy Lane and Headington Hill campuses. There are shops a short walk away in most directions.

I had friends in Warneford Halls and in Paul Kent halls. Warneford was nice enough, but the rooms felt a bit pokey; this is reflected in the price though. Paul Kent is probably the nicest halls I've been to, but it's a 20-minute bus ride away from univeristy, assuming there's no traffic- and with Oxford, you can guarantee that there WILL be traffic, EVERY morning. The bus does take you directly to uni and around to town and to the city centre though, and it's all free.

I'm currently living in a private hall run by Mansion Student (a chain of student accomodation blocks across the country). It's nice but it's grossly overpriced- I'm currently paying a "discounted" rate of £150pw to live a half-hour walk from uni, and the security here is ridiculous; if you leave your bedroom to go to your kitchen and don't take your keycard with you, you get locked out and there's a £70 callout fee for someone to come let you into your own room. I would advise against renting here.
Hi :smile: I got an offer from Brookes last week for OT, and I'm probably going to firm it once I've received all my offers/rejections. I haven't had any information regarding an applicant day though, does everyone get invited to this if you have an offer or just certain students?
What is the most favoured coursework to exam ratio for a given course?

If one was to say no to alcohol for religious/health reasons, would the persons social life at Brookes go down the drain?
Reply 390
Original post by Catherine_H
Hi :smile: I got an offer from Brookes last week for OT, and I'm probably going to firm it once I've received all my offers/rejections. I haven't had any information regarding an applicant day though, does everyone get invited to this if you have an offer or just certain students?

No e mail invite to the applicant day either - have phoned twice and been told it will be sent but I need to book my train ticket as prices go up nearer the time. Could I just turn up anyway do you think - I have an offer from OB.

What I don't like is the fact that, despite the freedom given to you by the BrookesKey, if you're in student housing you aren't allowed to have a car in the city.

I was thinking of taking my car down and living in halls. There is unrestricted parking outside of Paul Kent and nearby to Crescent. I know this isn't "allowed" but do you know of anyone that has taken a car and lived in halls?
Reply 392
Original post by Heather0502
Woo I got in! :smile:

Oh wow! Congratulations! Have you firmed them? I can't wait to apply for accommodation and stuff!

Have you taken your skill tests?
Original post by Kazzyv
No e mail invite to the applicant day either - have phoned twice and been told it will be sent but I need to book my train ticket as prices go up nearer the time. Could I just turn up anyway do you think - I have an offer from OB.

I'd ring them again and ask if you can just turn up due to already having an offer. I think it would be okay as I can't imagine them being too strict, but it's worth checking :smile: I haven't been home for the last week or so as I've been on holiday so I might find an invitation from them when I get home maybe.
Reply 394
Wahhhh, just got an invite to interview at Brookes :O
(I may even have actually let out a little mini-squeal when I read the email... embarrassing...)
So super happy, as I'd convinced myself that they didn't like my application since it had been so long... Hence my over-excited need to share this :3
(I may even have actually let out a little mini-squeal when I read the email... embarrassing...)
So super happy, as I'd convinced myself that they didn't like my application since it had been so long... Hence my over-excited need to share this :3

Me too!! It's so scary! I had my first interview yesterday and I was a nervous wreck.

Does anybody have any tips for how to approach the publishing interview?
Reply 396
Original post by TheGreatGatsby_
Me too!! It's so scary! I had my first interview yesterday and I was a nervous wreck.

Does anybody have any tips for how to approach the publishing interview?

I was about to say the nerves haven't hit me yet... but then I thought about it and bam - now I'm nervous too!!!

And good luck - It's a good thing you've already had an interview - trust me it gets so much easier to (pretend to) be calm after the first one! :smile:
I was about to say the nerves haven't hit me yet... but then I thought about it and bam - now I'm nervous too!!!

And good luck - It's a good thing you've already had an interview - trust me it gets so much easier to (pretend to) be calm after the first one! :smile:

Haha! :smile:

Awh I hope so. Thanks :smile: You too! The 17th will come round so fast!

Yay!!! Congratulations! We'll have that game of true american yet. :biggrin:
Reply 399
Original post by Catherine_H
I'd ring them again and ask if you can just turn up due to already having an offer. I think it would be okay as I can't imagine them being too strict, but it's worth checking :smile: I haven't been home for the last week or so as I've been on holiday so I might find an invitation from them when I get home maybe.

Do you know what time you need to get there for ? I will be coming up from London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending