The Student Room Group

Edexcel A/S and A/L [Please Help]

Hii All

I am just after my O/L s and planning to do London A/L s,My ambition is to be a Mechanical Engineering,and I have already chosen a higher Institute (University) to enter after my A/L s,Entry Requirements for that University is - Passes in three subjects (including Mathematics & Physics) .

Hence they don't ask Chemistry but ask for three subjects can I do Further Pure Mathematics instead of Chemistry (Because Chemistry is harder to me)

Then my Qualifications will be

Physics,General Maths & Further Pure Maths.

Also I want to know whether Edexcel recognize FP (Further Pure Maths) as a Separate Module as Chemistry.

Thanks All :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Nick Woods
Hii All

I am just after my O/L s and planning to do London A/L s,My ambition is to be a Mechanical Engineering,and I have already chosen a higher Institute (University) to enter after my A/L s,Entry Requirements for that University is - Passes in three subjects (including Mathematics & Physics) .

Hence they don't ask Chemistry but ask for three subjects can I do Further Pure Mathematics instead of Chemistry (Because Chemistry is harder to me)

Also I want to know whether Edexcel recognize FP (Further Pure Maths) as a Separate Module as Chemistry.

Edexcel will allow you to complete two maths A levels, Maths and Further Maths by completing exams for 12 different units (10 exams if you are aking the International A level where some units are compressed into single exams). There are several different combinations of units that are allowed. They are explained in the specification found on the edexcel web site.
Only your university can answer whether maths, further maths and physics meet the entry requirements, they would be fine for mech eng at every uk university i have ever looked at.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
Edexcel will allow you to complete two maths A levels, Maths and Further Maths by completing exams for 12 different units (10 exams if you are aking the International A level where some units are compressed into single exams). There are several different combinations of units that are allowed. They are explained in the specification found on the edexcel web site.
Only your university can answer whether maths, further maths and physics meet the entry requirements, they would be fine for mech eng at every uk university i have ever looked at.

Thank you very much bro,further I would like to know whether Its necessary to sit for all Units to obtain just a D pass in a Module.Also to the best of my knowledge there are only 3 FP units,Is that Right ? Then How come 12 units :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
You have to be entered for all the necessary units to get an overall A level grade. You dont have to pass them all if your goal is a D overall.

There is no A level in Further Pure Maths. There is an A level in Further Maths that includes some or all of the further pure units PLUS additional units selected from statistics, mechanics or decision.

It is all explained in the specification.
Reply 4
You have to be entered for all the necessary units to get an overall A level grade. You dont have to pass them all if your goal is a D overall.

There is no A level in Further Pure Maths. There is an A level in Further Maths that includes some or all of the further pure units PLUS additional units selected from statistics, mechanics or decision.

It is all explained in the specification.

Ohh I see,Could I know the minimum number of units I should sit in order to obtain a Grade please,Also Could you please give me the Link for the Specification :smile: Thanks in Advance
Reply 5
To be clear you have to enter for 12 units to be awarded 2 a levels.
The max standardised UMS mark for each full Alevel is 600
You would need 240 marks to be awarded an E grade they can come from 40 in each exam or 100+100+40+0+0+0 or any combination in between.
You need to decide for yourself what is the least you ought to do to scrape a pass, I wouldn't want to encourage you to take that approach.

Info about edexcel a levels can be found here
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/Pages/default.aspx
Or th new international a levels taken in some countries
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/ial/Pages/default.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
To be clear you have to enter for 12 units to be awarded 2 a levels.
The max standardised UMS mark for each full Alevel is 600
You would need 240 marks to be awarded an E grade they can come from 40 in each exam or 100+100+40+0+0+0 or any combination in between.
You need to decide for yourself what is the least you ought to do to scrape a pass, I wouldn't want to encourage you to take that approach.

Info about edexcel a levels can be found here
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/Pages/default.aspx
Or th new international a levels taken in some countries
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/ial/Pages/default.aspx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear Bro,Thank you very much,You were very Helpful :smile: I posted this on few sites but no one had answered,As am an Overseas student its bit difficult to know these facts directly.I went through the Specification today and found something that cannot be understand.could you please Explain this to me,It says Max Marks for AS is 300 and 600 for A2,As per your Explanation I thought each unit carries a weight of 100 units.Snapshot is given below.:confused:

291gowg.jpg
Reply 7
Hii All

FOR ENGINEERING maths is relevant and is needed. Just go head and see the syllabus specification on www.edexcel.com
check the past papers too. see if u can do the physics.
this is not to discourage u but many students in sL says its tough. U can choose any 3rd subject, maths is enough. but for anything see what your uni asks as for 3rd subject.
physics edexcel link is http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/physics/Pages/default.aspx use this for past paper cos syllabus has changed

edexcel subjects link is http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/Pages/default.aspx use these for past papers cos syllabus has changed

these are old gce qualifications. so better follow the new IAL syllabus

new syllabus for alevel is IAL called International Alevel
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/ial/Pages/default.aspx click this to view IAL new syllabus and paper samples. paper styles are varying. so better see
Reply 8
Hii All

dont worry about grade boundaries. grade boundaries differ according to maximum mark gained by students. 50 percent marks on as level and 50 percent marks for a2. overall. but should get high grades for as level cos a2 is tough. so if as level has high grades we can cope up with it. u will get good grades overall.
Reply 9
Original post by kers123
FOR ENGINEERING maths is relevant and is needed. Just go head and see the syllabus specification on www.edexcel.com
check the past papers too. see if u can do the physics.
this is not to discourage u but many students in sL says its tough. U can choose any 3rd subject, maths is enough. but for anything see what your uni asks as for 3rd subject.
physics edexcel link is http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/physics/Pages/default.aspx use this for past paper cos syllabus has changed

edexcel subjects link is http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/Pages/default.aspx use these for past papers cos syllabus has changed

these are old gce qualifications. so better follow the new IAL syllabus

new syllabus for alevel is IAL called International Alevel
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/ial/Pages/default.aspx click this to view IAL new syllabus and paper samples. paper styles are varying. so better see

Thank you very much :smile: :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you very much :smile: :smile:

bro r u satisfied with my explanation. clear now? dont worry.
Reply 11
Original post by kers123
dont worry about grade boundaries. grade boundaries differ according to maximum mark gained by students. 50 percent marks on as level and 50 percent marks for a2. overall. but should get high grades for as level cos a2 is tough. so if as level has high grades we can cope up with it. u will get good grades overall.

Truly speaking I just want to acquire a D pass (Overall),So sitting for 4 units in a module will fulfill my goal Right :frown:
Reply 12
Truly speaking I just want to acquire a D pass (Overall),So sitting for 4 units in a module will fulfill my goal Right :frown:

u mean 4 subjects? maths has 6 units, others also have 6 units. 3 units for AS and 3 for A2
Reply 13
Original post by kers123
u mean 4 subjects? maths has 6 units, others also have 6 units. 3 units for AS and 3 for A2

Like this,there are 6 units in Physics Right,So I just want a D Pass,So cant I do 2 Units in AS and 2 Units in A2,avoiding the two practical papers.:s-smilie:
Reply 14
Like this,there are 6 units in Physics Right,So I just want a D Pass,So cant I do 2 Units in AS and 2 Units in A2,avoiding the two practical papers.:s-smilie:

TO COMPLETE AND GET OVERALL GRADE AT ALEVEL U HAVE TO DO ALL 6 Papers. its must. if u leave 2 papers then u r not done with alevel. when fully completing alevel 6 papers overall grade d then ok. each paper has a mark worth for it. it cant be omitted. if not u have to do foundation at uni which is again alevel.:redface:
Reply 15
Original post by kers123
TO COMPLETE AND GET OVERALL GRADE AT ALEVEL U HAVE TO DO ALL 6 Papers. its must. if u leave 2 papers then u r not done with alevel. when fully completing alevel 6 papers overall grade d then ok. each paper has a mark worth for it. it cant be omitted. if not u have to do foundation at uni which is again alevel.:redface:

Understood :smile: Thanks a LOT thumbs-up-128.png
Original post by Sena5
TO COMPLETE AND GET OVERALL GRADE AT ALEVEL U HAVE TO DO ALL 6 Papers. its must. if u leave 2 papers then u r not done with alevel. when fully completing alevel 6 papers overall

grade d then ok. each paper has a mark worth for it. it cant be omitted. if not u have to do foundation at uni which is again alevel.:redface:

Does anyone know what are the subjects can do instead chemistry?
I want to do engineering
Reply 17
Original post by Vinuri20
Does anyone know what are the subjects can do instead chemistry?
I want to do engineering

Which universities do you look to graduate in?
They will have the subjects expected for entry.
If that is not possible, contact the university either via email or person and see the possible solutions to gain entry into engineering.
Remember that its not going to be just engineering but you will have to decide which type of engineer you are looking to be in the future.
Original post by Sena5
Which universities do you look to graduate in?
They will have the subjects expected for entry.
If that is not possible, contact the university either via email or person and see the possible solutions to gain entry into engineering.
Remember that its not going to be just engineering but you will have to decide which type of engineer you are looking to be in the future.

RMIT Melbourne or Vietnam. I’ve already send emails for both branches. But they didn’t respond. I like to do electrical and electronics engineering. Thank you in advance 🤗
Reply 19
Original post by Vinuri20
RMIT Melbourne or Vietnam. I’ve already send emails for both branches. But they didn’t respond. I like to do electrical and electronics engineering. Thank you in advance 🤗

Wow! First of all congratulations!!!
I'm moving to Australia!
https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/levels-of-study/undergraduate-study/honours-degrees/bh111
https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/levels-of-study/undergraduate-study/honours-degrees/bh110
The website shows that this course is not available in Melbourne as in not available for International students.

The following link shows that the course is available in Vietnam and the entry requirements for this course as an International student.
https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/international-students/apply-to-rmit-international-students/entry-requirements/country-equivalency/united-kingdom

Quick Reply

Latest