The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open Plus (2+2 scheme)

I think it be nice to share experiences on Open Plus. For those who don't know it is for the sciences and students do their first year with Open Uni and then go off to a brick university for the final two years full time and obtain the degree from the brick uni.

Ive read a few threads here and there on the forum but theres not much about.

Im going to try for the Physics route and I am doing level one MST124 and S104 hopefully doing level 2 modules in October 2014.

Anyone else doing Open Plus?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
i am thinking of doing the open-plus with the physics route too but i will have to wait until next October to start :frown:, how is the course content so far? how much are the tuition fees. will you be a mature student when you start the 2nd year, i am 24 at the mo and will be pushing 26 when i start the uni phase :s-smilie: , i am thinking of going Lancaster uni as well, as they are one of the highest ranking physics uni's in the country, thinking of the physics, astrophysics and cosmology route
(edited 10 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Jason13
i am thinking of doing the open-plus with the physics route too but i will have to wait until next October to start :frown:, how is the course content so far? how much are the tuition fees. will you be a mature student when you start the 2nd year, i am 24 at the mo and will be pushing 26 when i start the uni phase :s-smilie: , i am thinking of going Lancaster uni as well, as they are one of the highest ranking physics uni's in the country, thinking of the physics, astrophysics and cosmology route

hi.

Yea you would have to wait till October to start the courses, enrolment is September. I'm 27 now and If i get through... I will be 28 on second year entry. I'm not going to let age stop me doing something I want, you shouldn't either. In any case, I work full time along with the studying because level 1 and level 2 modules are not too difficult.

I found the content relatively easy at level 1 and its around A-level standard most of it. Level 2 I hope is better. I am a welsh student, So my fee's are quite low compared to England (because we are poor people :frown: ) the tutoring and help you can get if you are stuck is not great as its all online. Let me know if you need to know more detail.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Davidswift9

however the tutoring and help you can get if you are stuck is not great as its all online. Let me know if you need to know more detail.

Hi!

I'm considering this scheme as I don't want to take 3 full years out of work, but this is the aspect I'm worried about. I once tried a home study course through ICS and the materials were so confusing, and you don't have the benefit of a teacher to talk you through it all. Do you find the learning materials easy to follow with the OU?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Doblet90
Hi!

I'm considering this scheme as I don't want to take 3 full years out of work, but this is the aspect I'm worried about. I once tried a home study course through ICS and the materials were so confusing, and you don't have the benefit of a teacher to talk you through it all. Do you find the learning materials easy to follow with the OU?

Thanks!

There is a massive difference from ICS. My text books on Science and Maths are very good but im doing year 1 study at the moment and cant speak if the advanced topics are of the same calibre, but I would assume they are just as good.

No teacher can be an issue, there are many on my course that write they are struggling in the course forum but there is access to a tutor who will respond in 48hours (its normally quick). Tutorials at local universities are every couple of months and there are also online tutorials (like a conference call via open uni software). I found Youtube to have a wealth of tutorials on subjects when i have been stuck on science areas because I like to find out where im going wrong straight away rather than delay my learning waiting for a response from a tutor.

It is difficult teaching yourself and you have to be very strict on when you will study. Its a big decision and it is best to research information on degree you plan to study because OU degrees do not always bring the same benefits as a degree from a brick uni.
Reply 5
Thanks a lot for your response! I'm glad to hear that the materials so far are good. That's a big factor in my decision. I had been considering starting with Birkbeck, which has a Certificate of Higher Education in Physics and Maths. Physically attending classes would make me feel more confident, but it has its downsides, and doesn't leave me with the same option of second year entry afterwards.

I've heard a lot of positives about the Open University, and when I contacted Queen Mary, University of London about the programme they said that their OpenPlus students do very well. For me, it'll come down to confidence in my ability to home-study. It's helpful to hear from someone who's already doing it!
Reply 6
Original post by Doblet90
Thanks a lot for your response! I'm glad to hear that the materials so far are good. That's a big factor in my decision. I had been considering starting with Birkbeck, which has a Certificate of Higher Education in Physics and Maths. Physically attending classes would make me feel more confident, but it has its downsides, and doesn't leave me with the same option of second year entry afterwards.

I've heard a lot of positives about the Open University, and when I contacted Queen Mary, University of London about the programme they said that their OpenPlus students do very well. For me, it'll come down to confidence in my ability to home-study. It's helpful to hear from someone who's already doing it!

Another thing i didnt bring up is the level 1 study is very basic in science and maths. Each topic in a module starts off like GCSE and progresses gently to about A-level standard. The books are structured and explained very well, there is no assumption that you may know certain aspects. Queen Mary is very popular in the open uni students forum

Quick Reply

Latest