The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Canadian applying to the MSc in Global Health and Public Policy

I just submitted my application but have no idea how competitive this program is. I am graduating with a double major in biology and nutrition and have a 3.47/4.0 GPA in my last 2 years of study and a 3.22/4.0 GPA in my full 4 years of study. Can anyone gage what my chances of acceptance are/does anyone know any info on how competitive the program is? thank you
In my experience if you apply early enough, can write a half decent personal statement, and have the necessary entry requirements then you will get an offer. That goes for the vast majority of universities imo.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Dancingaround52
I just submitted my application but have no idea how competitive this program is. I am graduating with a double major in biology and nutrition and have a 3.47/4.0 GPA in my last 2 years of study and a 3.22/4.0 GPA in my full 4 years of study. Can anyone gage what my chances of acceptance are/does anyone know any info on how competitive the program is? thank you

That would be equivalent to maybe a 2:2? That is low, you might get an offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I just applied for the course last evening. I hope we're both successful! :smile:

I'm from North America too, but did my undergraduate at Edinburgh (still doing it for a few more months, actually) - so I know exactly where I need to stand as far as marks. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to compare it to other systems but hopefully your marks are alright.

This might help you: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/registry/exams/regulations/credit-allocation

Have you heard anything back from them yet?
My application has just been processed through EUCLID - but I'm still waiting impatiently!
Reply 4
I applied for the course too. I'm originally from the U.S. but did my undergraduate abroad in Israel. Wishing us all luck :smile:
Reply 5
Hooray! There's a few of us now it seems. Good luck!!

When did you apply? Dancingaround52 and I are currently in the waiting phase. I think she applied nearly two weeks ago judging by her first post?

I applied last Tuesday.... I wish I was more patient.

I love Israel, I was there with family in Nov. '12. :smile:
Reply 6
I applied on Jan. 14, which was quite a while ago! I applied to the program in International Politics and Human Rights as well and received my offer to that program within a few days. Still waiting to hear back regarding my Global Health application.

Awesome that you were here in Israel! It's a wonderful place (though really complicated and difficult at times), I wouldn't trade the past five years for anything :smile: Where did you stay in Israel?

Update: realized today that I got completely mixed up between Glasgow and Edinburgh. This is what happens when you are approaching the end of a 12 hour shift. :/ What I wrote above is true for Glasgow. I applied to Edinburgh on Jan. 28, but from what I understand it takes them about 5 weeks to get back to you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I applied to Edinburgh on Jan. 29... So hopefully we hear back around the same time!
I stayed in Tel Aviv near the water and then I also stayed at the David Citadel in Mamilla. It was a lovely trip!

:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by kalidurga
I applied to Edinburgh on Jan. 29... So hopefully we hear back around the same time!
I stayed in Tel Aviv near the water and then I also stayed at the David Citadel in Mamilla. It was a lovely trip!

:smile:

Got in! :smile:
Reply 9
I've not heard anything back yet. I suppose that's probably a bad sign... Oh, well. :'(

Original post by RaeRae2
Original post by RaeRae2

Do you mind telling us your stats?
Reply 11
I got an offer last night near midnight along with a response to an earlier email that I sent - they must really be working around the clock! Still waiting to hear if I've been accepted to the MPH at Edinburgh as well. If I get in to both I will have to make a decision (somehow)... If I get rejected from the other, I'll be on this course next year for sure!
Reply 12
I got an offer last night near midnight along with a response to an earlier email that I sent - they must really be working around the clock! Still waiting to hear if I've been accepted to the MPH at Edinburgh as well. If I get in to both I will have to make a decision (somehow)... If I get rejected from the other, I'll be on this course next year for sure!

Congrats!!
Reply 13
Original post by Dancingaround52
Do you mind telling us your stats?

Sure, although I'm not sure how to convert them into UK standards. I did my undergraduate in political science and literature abroad in Israel and have a scholastic index of 88%, which is considered pretty good by Israeli standards. I have about 8 months of experience volunteering with a public clinic for refugees. Anything else you'd like to know specifically?
Reply 14

Hey, just wondering if you are going to accept the offer? I'm 90% sure I will.
Reply 15
I'm not sure. I'm still waiting to hear back about the MPH at Edinburgh before I make a decision. But I will definitely be at Edinburgh again next year!! Did you apply to that one too?
Reply 16
I'm not sure. I'm still waiting to hear back about the MPH at Edinburgh before I make a decision. But I will definitely be at Edinburgh again next year!! Did you apply to that one too?

Nope. Best of luck with the other application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending