The Student Room Group

Anybody doing a gap year after finishing a levels this year?

Hi, I'm ryan :smile:

I'm writing this post because I've decided to do a gap year at completion of my A levels this year (2014). I decided to do this because I was tired of the education system and decided to try something new for a change (it's strange to consider that we have been in the same routine for 13 years!).

As of now (quite irresponsibly) I have no idea what I am going to do. I am considering getting an internship with a newspaper as I want to be a journalist when I finish my degree, but a part of me just wants to let loose for a year and have some fun!

This, then, brings me to the post. I had this crazy idea last night, and I have no idea whether it's viable or crazy or whatever but I just thought I'd post it.

I imagined going on a road trip with like 4/5/6 people across Britain, seeing everything and having amazing experiences. Things like going camping under a preserved sky and seeing Big Ben and everything like that (I'm obviously too poor to go abroad for a year! :')). Also, I thought it would be pretty cool to end the trip with a night in Paris or something :')

I understand there's a lot of people reading this that would be like "what on earth", but after the sheer stress of A levels just makes me want an experience like this, and I sort of wonder if there's anyone out there who agrees with me or would like to go about such an experience? Imagine waking up one morning not knowing where in the country you will be sleeping in the upcoming night! It sounds crazy!

So, anyone interested?

ps - I don't drive (sorry :P)
I'm doing a gap year 2014-2015.
Original post by keromedic
I'm doing a gap year 2014-2015.

What are your thoughts on a road trip across Britain?
Original post by RyanStraker1995

Wouldn't it be weird doing it with someone you've never met?

It would be good. I'd consider it if someone I knew already on here was doing. I'd be too shy and scared with strangers.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Wouldn't it be weird doing it with someone you've never met?

Haha that's what I thought so I started the post now so if I did find people to do it with (which probably won't happen :')) we have time to know each other and meet up first etc etc.
Reply 6
Hey! I'm finishing A levels this year too and doing a gap year before uni. I'm trying to get an internship to start in September, but I really want to travel a bit and do some cool stuff before and after! I was thinking of a similar thing to this, but going across Europe rather than just Britain - I'm dying to get outta this country haha! Would you be interested?
-Ana
Original post by anakg28
Hey! I'm finishing A levels this year too and doing a gap year before uni. I'm trying to get an internship to start in September, but I really want to travel a bit and do some cool stuff before and after! I was thinking of a similar thing to this, but going across Europe rather than just Britain - I'm dying to get outta this country haha! Would you be interested?
-Ana

Definitely! There's like 1000 things to consider such as money etc etc haha but I'm sure that can be sorted.

Message me :smile:
Reply 8
Aim high, I say. I'm having a gap year, although I have no idea what I'm going to do. I have this fear of me at an old age, where I regret not living while I had the chance. I don't want to end up like that, brooding over missed opportunities.

Then again, I'm really anxious about stepping out into the world. I've lived too much of a sheltered life I think.
I'm also taking a gap year 2014/15 and plan on travelling , perhaps volunteering . Where ? I have no clue but I've got quite abit saved aside so its only a matter of choosing when and where . The world is such a grand place and I haven't left the UK in nigh 8 years so anywhere seems appealing tbh.

All my friends are going Uni so im going to be left alone but i'm not going to let that stop me .
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
I'm also taking a gap year 2014/15 and plan on travelling , perhaps volunteering . Where ? I have no clue but I've got quite abit saved aside so its only a matter of choosing when and where . The world is such a grand place and I haven't left the UK in nigh 8 years so anywhere seems appealing tbh.

All my friends are going Uni so im going to be left alone but i'm not going to let that stop me .

I'm in the exact same position. I know that half way through my gap year I'll feel really panicy because everyone will be at uni and I'll be travelling!

Looking to get my UCAS sent off on September 1st though to make sure I've got everything sorted!
Original post by IforanI
Aim high, I say. I'm having a gap year, although I have no idea what I'm going to do. I have this fear of me at an old age, where I regret not living while I had the chance. I don't want to end up like that, brooding over missed opportunities.

Then again, I'm really anxious about stepping out into the world. I've lived too much of a sheltered life I think.

The old age thing applies to me so much! I want to look back on my life when I'm old and think "I've lived a good life" haha :')
I'm in the exact same position. I know that half way through my gap year I'll feel really panicy because everyone will be at uni and I'll be travelling!

Looking to get my UCAS sent off on September 1st though to make sure I've got everything sorted!

Got any ideas where you'd like to travel ?
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
Got any ideas where you'd like to travel ?

None at all, think I'd rather visit more places than stay in one for an extended period of time though.

Quick Reply

Latest