The Student Room Group

SAAS (Students Award Agency for Scotland) HELP!!

Hey, I'm wanting to know if anyone can help me or can shed some light on my situation.

I am a Scottish student applying to an English University and have been made a conditional offer.

My basic question is will SAAS help pay my 9k tuition for University for the 4 years I will be there???

I have previously studied a HNC/HND but that was Art and Design.
I now want to go to university to study Korean, a completely different subject area. I checked a pdf by SAAS and it said that if a student changes a subject area of study then they can be entitled to full payment of their new course if it's a different subject area. (All to so with new '+1' system) Regardless if they have previously studied a HNC/D.

I have tried phoning SAAS but i get no luck either i get passed to the wrong person, or i'm left on the phone for hours (exaggeration). I still keep trying but no luck.

Much help would be appreciated to anyone and everyone.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They will only pay tuition fees if you are studying in Scotland: https://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/young/funding_available.htm. What you've said about changing course is correct, yes (check example 7 here as it applies to you: https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf). You'll be entitled to a loan/bursary, but not tuition fees.
Reply 2
Original post by mythtakes
They will only pay tuition fees if you are studying in Scotland: https://www.saas.gov.uk/full_time/ug/young/funding_available.htm. What you've said about changing course is correct, yes (check example 7 here as it applies to you: https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf). You'll be entitled to a loan/bursary, but not tuition fees.

I'm a little confused now (Got through to someone at SAAS)
They said i would be entitled to payment for just years 2,3 and 4 and that i would have to pay my university 9k fees for 1st year??

I mentioned the plus one but apparently this only allows for payment of my second year as i have only 2 years of payment left after my HNC/D.
(Just to say i only had to apply once for my art course it wasn't 2 separate courses, HND year 1 and 2)

I'm really stressing now, if thats the case i can't go to uni as i can't afford the 9k fees.
Student finance go by years of study not by how many years you received funding. Your HND was 2 years so...

New course (4years) - previous studies (2years) + 1 gift year = entitled to 3 years funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As mentioned above, loan/bursary you will get, tuition you will have to stump up yourself.
Reply 5
Hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind. I'm kinda in the same situation. I live in Scotland and I studied a HNC. I'll be entering first year at uni in September in Scotland. So this means SAAS won't pay my uni tuition fees, but will give me a bursary? Can someone confirm? I thought it was the other way around for some reason!

Does anyone know how this money has to be paid? I.e. do I pay it in one lump sum before the start of uni in September, can I pay through direct debit? Any help is appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SELiza
Hijacking your thread, hope you don't mind. I'm kinda in the same situation. I live in Scotland and I studied a HNC. I'll be entering first year at uni in September in Scotland. So this means SAAS won't pay my uni tuition fees, but will give me a bursary? Can someone confirm? I thought it was the other way around for some reason!

Does anyone know how this money has to be paid? I.e. do I pay it in one lump sum before the start of uni in September, can I pay through direct debit? Any help is appreciated!

Since you get a +1 year of funding, you should get your 4 years paid for you (assuming the HNC was 1 year).
Reply 7
Original post by Ecosse_14
Since you get a +1 year of funding, you should get your 4 years paid for you (assuming the HNC was 1 year).

Yep the HNC was only for one year. OK, thank you! You've kind of put my mind to rest lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Knalchemist
Student finance go by years of study not by how many years you received funding. Your HND was 2 years so...

New course (4years) - previous studies (2years) + 1 gift year = entitled to 3 years funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry its been a while,
Wondering if you could answer another query.
Even if i can't get student finance for 1st year at an English Uni could i still apply for a loan for the 9k in first year??
Reply 9
I'm a single parent who's daughter is going to uni. Is there any extra help other than loan, bursary, grants etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danderlilly
Hi, sorry its been a while,
Wondering if you could answer another query.
Even if i can't get student finance for 1st year at an English Uni could i still apply for a loan for the 9k in first year??

... no.

You can only receive a maintenance loan.
Original post by Bluebells60
I'm a single parent who's daughter is going to uni. Is there any extra help other than loan, bursary, grants etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really.

If you're a single parent on a low wage your daughter will be more than comfortable at University money wise.
Reply 12
Mmm. Don't think so lol. I have two small children too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Individual universities will have a number of scholarships and bursaries for widening access that you should look into if you haven't already. :smile:
Reply 14
ok thanks.
Reply 15
do i need to apply for these direct to the university once i sort out funding elsewhere.
do i need to apply for these direct to the university once i sort out funding elsewhere.

Scholarships and bursaries go direct to the university or charity. All the info will be on each individual university website.
Hello i am hijacking the hijackers thread please excuse new here and don't know where or how to post exactly. My situation is this last year i was studying HNC Construction Management and for reasons i shall not go into i missed the last two months of the year i believe there was only two units remaining. Do i have to re-sit the full year? Which i am thinking will be the case if so will SAAS fund me? Someone told me i should just progress onto HND? I am really baffled as to where i stand if anyone can enlighten me it would be much appreciated,
Steven Murphy
Reply 18
When can we start an application for September 2015 starts

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's only from the April every year, so you'll have to wait until then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending