The Student Room Group

Help a guy with skincare/facewash

I have sensitive skin on my face, i.e. get spots whenever I use any sort of face wash. I saw a thread in here about guys using several things to keep their face looking clear, but I can't use anything because of the sensitive skin.

I duno what 'skin type' I have - sometimes it's oily and sometimes it's dry (and looks like it needs exfoliating, but I cant use an exfoliator because of sensitivity).

I occasionally come up with huge, ugly red spots.
Normally I don't have the huge spots, but have like 'flat spots' if that makes sense (red but not really bumpy). I get blackheads on my nose area (side) and also dry/dead skin elsewhere (closer to nostrils).

I've tried clearasil facewashes and Simple exfoliating face wipes, but my skin doesn't agree with anything.
All I use is soap, twice daily, lukewarm water, without rubbing the skin too much with hands/towel.

Help please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Oh, and tea tree stuff is probably the worst for my face. I tried a soap and a face wash/scrub.

Posted from TSR Mobile
STOP USING SOAP!!!! NOW!!!!!! Seriously, it sounds as though you are washing away all of the natural oils from your skin (Which your skin needs) and because of that your skin is completely drying out!! Also, because your skin hates the foaming soap facial washes it becomes sensitive, which means it is hard to exfoliate. Therefore your pores are becoming blocked up with dead skin cells and HEY PRESTO. spots! Simple really.

So here is what you should try-

You need to get a cleansing balm to start with, this is an oil (YES AN OIL) that will emulsify excess oil off your skin (not strip it away as soaps do) and when you add water it will turn into a milky substance and wash away leaving no residue of oil. I would recommend Emma Hardy's Cleansing balm. It is a bit pricey but your skin sounds like it needs some TLC. You then need to try a clay face mask which will help to clear any impurities. Follow up with a natural facial oil- you will need like a drop but this will help replenish your skin and most of all provide your skin with some oil that it needs. I would recommend doing this at night only to start with as your don't want your face to look too shiny. I use the Raw Skincare face masks followed by their serum which works great for me.

Try that for at least 4 weeks, if it still isn't clearing up speak to your doctor. He/She will probably recommend that you try something called Quinoderm but that is incredibly strong stuff for getting rid of spots but is also extremely drying (probably not great for someone with already very dry skin) and I would recommend that as a last resort ONLY!

I hope this helps! Please share how you get on!

Original post by Needadvice1
I have sensitive skin on my face, i.e. get spots whenever I use any sort of face wash. I saw a thread in here about guys using several things to keep their face looking clear, but I can't use anything because of the sensitive skin.

I duno what 'skin type' I have - sometimes it's oily and sometimes it's dry (and looks like it needs exfoliating, but I cant use an exfoliator because of sensitivity).

Normally I don't have the huge spots, but have like 'flat spots' if that makes sense (red but not really bumpy). I get blackheads on my nose area (side) and also dry/dead skin elsewhere (closer to nostrils).

I've tried clearasil facewashes and Simple exfoliating face wipes, but my skin doesn't agree with anything.
All I use is soap, twice daily, lukewarm water, without rubbing the skin too much with hands/towel.

Help please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I had similar problems in my mid to late teens, I tried alsorts of "fancy products" most of which made me break out more, go really red or have a rele shiny forehead

in the end I read up and found I may have had sensitive skin, so I started using the nivea sensitive range, havent had any facial skin problems since, their post shave balm stuff is great too! ( use to get bad razor bump/rash)

might not work for you but if you feel up to it, give it a try, could work for you too!
Reply 4
Original post by sprinkleoflove
STOP USING SOAP!!!! NOW!!!!!! Seriously, it sounds as though you are washing away all of the natural oils from your skin (Which your skin needs) and because of that your skin is completely drying out!! Also, because your skin hates the foaming soap facial washes it becomes sensitive, which means it is hard to exfoliate. Therefore your pores are becoming blocked up with dead skin cells and HEY PRESTO. spots! Simple really.

So here is what you should try-

You need to get a cleansing balm to start with, this is an oil (YES AN OIL) that will emulsify excess oil off your skin (not strip it away as soaps do) and when you add water it will turn into a milky substance and wash away leaving no residue of oil. I would recommend Emma Hardy's Cleansing balm. It is a bit pricey but your skin sounds like it needs some TLC. You then need to try a clay face mask which will help to clear any impurities. Follow up with a natural facial oil- you will need like a drop but this will help replenish your skin and most of all provide your skin with some oil that it needs. I would recommend doing this at night only to start with as your don't want your face to look too shiny. I use the Raw Skincare face masks followed by their serum which works great for me.

Try that for at least 4 weeks, if it still isn't clearing up speak to your doctor. He/She will probably recommend that you try something called Quinoderm but that is incredibly strong stuff for getting rid of spots but is also extremely drying (probably not great for someone with already very dry skin) and I would recommend that as a last resort ONLY!

I hope this helps! Please share how you get on!

But like, soap's the only thing keeping my skin clean and spot free. When I slow down on the soap, I normally get spots again.

Clay masks n'all are maybe a bit too much :colondollar:

I have like whiteheads too apparently, but my skin is often oily so I'm not sure the oil treatment will be suited to me. I'm thinking of seeing someone about this, like maybe at Boots. What do you think? Feels a bit weird to think of since I'm a guy, idk.

Thanks for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by LukeM90
I had similar problems in my mid to late teens, I tried alsorts of "fancy products" most of which made me break out more, go really red or have a rele shiny forehead

in the end I read up and found I may have had sensitive skin, so I started using the nivea sensitive range, havent had any facial skin problems since, their post shave balm stuff is great too! ( use to get bad razor bump/rash)

might not work for you but if you feel up to it, give it a try, could work for you too!

Cheers pal, I didn't know they had a sensitive skin range. Might look into those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Cheers pal, I didn't know they had a sensitive skin range. Might look into those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

they are in like white and clear bottles etc, I first tried the normal one but it was slightly fragrenced or somthing and use to make me crazy red lol

their sensitive range is one of the more gentle washes ive ever used tbh hope it helps worth a try anyway.
Hi!

I also have sensitive skin and ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) seems to help ... I dilute it with one part water if needed .... It helps regulate sebum production, clears the pores and also, gives my face a nice glow ... try and see if it works for you.

I wash my face with water and then, use ACV dabbed in a cotton ball and wash off after 20 minutes.

Best Regards
(edited 10 years ago)
Never ever use soap! It strips the skin of natural oils! Instead use a cream cleanser. Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser is the best. It can treat your skin whilst moisturising it to prevent dryness (which could also be the cause of the acne) but also has borage oil and eucalyptus which control oil production. I really recommend it. Also, as a spot treatment try using toothpaste (something minty not something like sensodyne!)
Reply 9
Cetaphil.
Simple face cleanser is good...

and lol you can't just use face wipes.
Original post by xoflower
Cetaphil.
Simple face cleanser is good...

and lol you can't just use face wipes.

Cetaphil contains mineral oil which isn't the best ingredient
Reply 11
Original post by Feartheunknown
Cetaphil contains mineral oil which isn't the best ingredient

Oh I didn't know. Then again most face products don't have the best ingredients. But I used to use it and it was the only thing that cleared my skin. :smile:
Oh I didn't know. Then again most face products don't have the best ingredients. But I used to use it and it was the only thing that cleared my skin. :smile:

Don't get me wrong, there isn't exactly solid evidence suggesting that it is bad for you it is just that it isn't exactly the best ingredient to use (because of its origins) but also because it is an irritant. I have heard dermatologists recommend it but perhaps they do so because it is very basic (in terms of its ingredients). Many affordable prducts have good ingredients (or atleast have these "bad" ingredients in low concentrations or are redeemed with other ingredients such as antioxidants etc or plant extracts to reduce irritation of ingredients like mineral oil).
Reply 13

Help please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For spots, try Zenerit. A wonder- lotion! It was that rolling top, you roll it over the spot only, and in one day, it's gone! When the spot is just coming, apply three times a day - the next day, it's gone! If it's too bad and huge, can take couple of days.
My skin is oily, but if I wash it, even with water only, it becomes red, and dry and comes off in flakes, it's painful. But, if I don't wash, I go around, shining like an oiled frying pan! So, I usually buy a washing soap free gel. Wash my face with it. Then, while it's still wet, use a moisturizer, which says "For oily skins, matte", that is, stops facial oil. Then I let my face dry. If there are too much of moisturizer on my face after it dried, I use lotion "matte for oily skin". Then, I am set for the day. I use different brands, when I have money, Avene, now I found a supermarket brand which suits me. You should try different brands to see what suits you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Feartheunknown
Don't get me wrong, there isn't exactly solid evidence suggesting that it is bad for you it is just that it isn't exactly the best ingredient to use (because of its origins) but also because it is an irritant. I have heard dermatologists recommend it but perhaps they do so because it is very basic (in terms of its ingredients). Many affordable prducts have good ingredients (or atleast have these "bad" ingredients in low concentrations or are redeemed with other ingredients such as antioxidants etc or plant extracts to reduce irritation of ingredients like mineral oil).

What affordable products do you recommend?
What affordable products do you recommend?

Well it does depend on your skin type and skin's needs. But in terms of brand, St Ives do good exfoliators (with natural exfoliators) I particularly like their Olive Scrub as it moisturises the skin and deep cleans thanks to the olive oil it contains also it's paraben free and less than a fiver. I like La Roche-Posay Effaclar cleanser as it is good for oil control- it respects the skins pH level (the product is pH 5.5) and it's paraben free. It doesn't contain soap or alcohol so it won't dry out the skin (also free from colorants so minimises irritation). I love the nivea body lotion express hydration as it contains minerals and is free from irritants (mineral oil and colourants). Alos nspa is a great brand I love their products and they are always on offer (2 for a fiver for example). The Body Shop do good products which are also on offer usually (for example their hand creams are usually half off many times a year and their cleansers and moisturisers are good - i have used the tea tree range and the aloe range. Also the brand bulldog (which is a mens range) but their products (which are on offer at boots right now!!) have very superior ingredients. I love their eye roll on it has avocado oil, cucumber oil, ginseng extract and it is not tested on animals. Gosh cannot think of any others from the top of my head! :smile: Since we're sharing, how about you???
Reply 16
This is what I have told other people.

First off, find a gentle cleanser, you don't want anything that strips off your oil. When oil is stripped from your skin, it is left dry, so your skin goes into overdrive to combat the dryness it's feeling by producing more oil. You don't want that.

I would recommend the oil cleanse if you don't want a long skin care routine. The oil cleanse cleanses and moisturises at the same time. You will need castor oil which can be found here. Castor oil is the oil that helps to cleanse the skin.
Then you will need a moisturising oil such as avocado oil, macadamia oil, rosehip oil or argan oil. Make sure all of these oils are cold pressed. They wont be hard to find, I've added links to all of them so you can get a good price.
Then you will need a flannel to gently rub it all off, then you are done. You can get a pack of flannels for £2, I think, at Primark.

What you need to do is put a little bit of castor oil into your palm, then add the same amount of another oil on top, then just rub it across your dry face. Gently massage for a minute, especially your nose if you have blackheads. You may feel something grainy on your face, that's your blackheads dislodging. Then wet your flannel with hot water, but not too hot that you can't touch it, then lay it on your face for a few seconds and wipe it all off. And if you want, splash you face with water afterwards.

I think it's best to do this at night, then wash your face with water in the morning and add a small amount of oil on your skin in the morning. Oils are very versatile and cheaper than store bought products, and will last you longer and work better. You will need to experiment. If you find that your skin is too dry, add more moisturising oil. If it's too oily, add more castor oil.

A good exfoliator, and what I use, is half a tablespoon of nutmeg with a tablespoon of whole milk (must be whole milk because it has better healing qualities. I always recommend whole foods, even milk, cheese and yoghurt.) and gently massage into your face. Don't scrub. Do that once a week.

I hope this helps. Contact me if you need any help or have any questions. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
I just wrote this in another thread but I have sensitive skin so I thought I would re-post it here.

This stuff is fantastic - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006SXDA7S - Loreal Charcoal face wash. It is pure black so it looks pretty weird, but use it every morning and you'll soon notice the difference.

I have really oily skin, and because of this I get a lot of blackheads, but after a week of this on a daily basis they had all but gone.

I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about it.
Using soap drys you skin.... bad. Therefore your problem. I use Effaclar foaming gel for oily sensitive skin from La Roche-Posay when I wash my face. It's very... foamy and I really like it. Also, dehydration make your skin produce more sebum, which will only make matters worse: oily, shinny skin. I have very sensitive skin and my dermatologist told me to try baby cream for hydratation. Best advice ever. My skin looks fresher and feels better. I use Nivea baby smoothing cream. It's quite a trick: baby products are the best for sensitive skin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending