The Student Room Group

Easy Highers?

I'm wondering about Maths, chemistry and biology highers. If youve done them, how difficult did you find it? How much did you have study for them? Was it a big jump from previous courses?

Also, if you've done all 3... I know its a subjective thing, but what one do you think's the easiest to pick up and do well in?
Reply 1
Original post by requi
I'm wondering about Maths, chemistry and biology highers. If youve done them, how difficult did you find it? How much did you have study for them? Was it a big jump from previous courses?

Also, if you've done all 3... I know its a subjective thing, but what one do you think's the easiest to pick up and do well in?

For me it's:
biology (easiest to hardest)
maths
chemistry

But then again everyone is different.
Original post by requi

Biology is the easiest - have a moderate interest in the subject and look over your notes every week and you will get a high mark.
Maths is slightly harder, but if you work at it and try pastpapers you will eventually get to the point where it is easy. The actual maths at higher isnt challenging, its just the volume of work is. Keep on top of it!
Chemistry is ok, there are a couple of challenging things to get your head round and alot of info, but if you keep working at it and try pastpapers every so often it becomes straightforward.

(Assuming youre doing the old highers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha for me it goes easiest to hardes : Maths, Chemistry, Biology.
Reply 4
It depends what sort of learner you are (although none of them are easy). I like lots of content and less problem solving so I prefer biology then chemistry and maths, although I really enjoyed all 3 at higher. I'd say perhaps biology was a little too simplified at higher for my liking, although there were other people who found it really hard so it just depends.

Also consider your choices for next year - i.e. which of those might you take to AH?
(If your'e wondering about AH, maths is a total killer, biology is a huge leap from higher but really interesting and chemistry is somewhere inbetween.)
Reply 5
Original post by Pennyarcade
Biology is the easiest - have a moderate interest in the subject and look over your notes every week and you will get a high mark.
Maths is slightly harder, but if you work at it and try pastpapers you will eventually get to the point where it is easy. The actual maths at higher isnt challenging, its just the volume of work is. Keep on top of it!
Chemistry is ok, there are a couple of challenging things to get your head round and alot of info, but if you keep working at it and try pastpapers every so often it becomes straightforward.

(Assuming youre doing the old highers)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope Maths isnt a huge jump from Nat5. Ive heard chemistry is one of the hardest highers for most people too :/ and biology has a reputation of being purely memory/fact based. Do you think it could be crashed without much difficulty in 5th year?

Thankfully were doing the old highest next year. Damn sqa.

Original post by Sparticon
It depends what sort of learner you are (although none of them are easy). I like lots of content and less problem solving so I prefer biology then chemistry and maths, although I really enjoyed all 3 at higher. I'd say perhaps biology was a little too simplified at higher for my liking, although there were other people who found it really hard so it just depends.

Also consider your choices for next year - i.e. which of those might you take to AH?
(If your'e wondering about AH, maths is a total killer, biology is a huge leap from higher but really interesting and chemistry is somewhere inbetween.)

I prefer problem solving to content :P Biology doesnt exactly require hours on top of hours to memorise the content though right?

Is AH basically first year uni?

And how much of the biology courses are to do with humans? Plants are booooring.
Reply 6
Original post by requi
I prefer problem solving to content :P Biology doesnt exactly require hours on top of hours to memorise the content though right?

Is AH basically first year uni?

And how much of the biology courses are to do with humans? Plants are booooring.

Well in higher I know people who put in hours every day to learn the content. There is far more content than at SG or Nat5, but I found that the hard parts were just a few topics which you did lots of at revision time. But it will take a long time to revise biology.

If you mean AH then yes, it takes hours and hours (and yeah, it is about first year uni level), but it's interesting. AH has a molecular biology topic (relevant to humans and animals), an ecology topic (plants, animals and the environment, but most of it is higher) and a topic which your school will choose. Our school do Physiology, Health and Exercise for that one (all about humans). I think the other options are biotech or animal behaviour.

As there is no AH human biology you'll need the plant stuff from higher for topic 2 so it's kinda useful to have, but they'll teach you it if you've only done human biology at higher.

Neither higher or AH have loads of plant stuff though I'd say. I mean it's there but it's not even half the course and it tends to be the easy stuff. :smile:
Original post by requi
I hope Maths isnt a huge jump from Nat5. Ive heard chemistry is one of the hardest highers for most people too :/ and biology has a reputation of being purely memory/fact based. Do you think it could be crashed without much difficulty in 5th year?

Thankfully were doing the old highest next year. Damn sqa.

Maths is a decent jump, but put in the work and you will be fine.
Crashing what? If you mean chemistry then id imagine that would be a difficult crash as you do require alot of sg knowledge for some of the topics (the first 5 multiple choice questions are SG knowledge)
If you meant biology then yes it is an easy crash. I joined the class without even knowing how to label a cell and got 95% in the prelim. As I said, since it is memory based, just review your notes every few days and you will do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Pennyarcade
Maths is a decent jump, but put in the work and you will be fine.
Crashing what? If you mean chemistry then id imagine that would be a difficult crash as you do require alot of sg knowledge for some of the topics (the first 5 multiple choice questions are SG knowledge)
If you meant biology then yes it is an easy crash. I joined the class without even knowing how to label a cell and got 95% in the prelim. As I said, since it is memory based, just review your notes every few days and you will do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, well done
Biology is easiest out of those three (if you are doing revised highers)
I take maths and chemistry. Both are a big jump from standard grade - especially chemistry, which I didn't expect! Maths requires a lot of practice of questions, and chemistry you need to learn the notes then apply it to questions, also calculations

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending