The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I expected to earn around 20k, and would have accepted £18k quite happily

Luckily I managed to secure a job that paid £25k training as an accountant in industry.
I thought I'd be living like a King, but was sadly mistaken. Expectation =/= reality. The goal posts always shift as standards rise, and I would say £30k would just about get me by. Unless of course I still lived at home with parents - in that case, I'd be laughing all the way to a Chanel bag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Pipsico
I expected to earn around 20k, and would have accepted £18k quite happily

Luckily I managed to secure a job that paid £25k training as an accountant in industry.
I thought I'd be living like a King, but was sadly mistaken. Expectation =/= reality. The goal posts always shift as standards rise, and I would say £30k would just about get me by. Unless of course I still lived at home with parents - in that case, I'd be laughing all the way to a Chanel bag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol where are you based?
Reply 3
Based in London working in the city. Graduated in 2012 with a 2:1 in Philosophy from Southampton. Just started a new job earning 17k p/a which will be reviewed in a year (business journalism) and I'm very happy to get it. Sad state of affairs really but at least my job sounds better than it is.

EDIT: Living at home with parents fortunately.
Reply 4
Hoped for about £18,000 minimum. Would have liked £20,000. Actually started my current job on a temp basis on £12,000 (!!) but am on about £18,000 (phewwww). But I second other comments about expectations of how much x salary will buy you versus reality. I live in a northern industrial city, pay £200 rent and run a tiny car using about half a tank a week, live moderately maybe going to the cinema once a week and the pub for a few at the weekend, avoid take-out, expensive coffees, etc., and I still only break even every month. I have no idea where it goes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Expectations- None

Reality - £28k excluding bonuses

Industry - FMCG
Reply 6
Expecting 80k starting salary, no less
Reply 7
Expected: 24K+

Reality: 30K + bonus

Industry: Telecommunications (management)
Reply 8
Original post by moutonfou
Hoped for about £18,000 minimum. Would have liked £20,000. Actually started my current job on a temp basis on £12,000 (!!) but am on about £18,000 (phewwww). But I second other comments about expectations of how much x salary will buy you versus reality. I live in a northern industrial city, pay £200 rent and run a tiny car using about half a tank a week, live moderately maybe going to the cinema once a week and the pub for a few at the weekend, avoid take-out, expensive coffees, etc., and I still only break even every month. I have no idea where it goes.

Thats a good mentality. In the long run you will be better off. :tongue:
Reply 9
Based and living in London
Expected 18-20k
Reality 23k
Industry: financial services
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Bill_Gates
Graduate Salary Expectations VS Reality

So graduates what did you expect to earn on graduation and what did you end up earning and in what sector? :smile:

I expected to earn at least £27k (if I couldn't get a job on at least that I'd have done a PhD).

I got onto a public sector grad scheme starting on £27,970.

Edit
Job was in the North West, my salary expectation was on the assumption I'd end up working in the south).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
Expectations- None

Reality - £28k excluding bonuses

Industry - FMCG

Original post by Gubey
Expected: 24K+

Reality: 30K + bonus

Industry: Telecommunications (management)

Original post by Quady
I expected to earn at least £27k (if I couldn't get a job on at least that I'd have done a PhD).

I got onto a public sector grad scheme starting on £27,970.

Edit
Job was in the North West, my salary expectation was on the assumption I'd end up working in the south).

Which uni and degree did you guys get?
Reply 12
Original post by Matthew7

York, Chemistry 2.i

Although thats a pretty irrelevant question tbh, The degree only gets you past the filter. Its work experience that gets you a job.
Reply 13
Original post by Quady
York, Chemistry 2.i

Although thats a pretty irrelevant question tbh, The degree only gets you past the filter. Its work experience that gets you a job.

I think a STEM degree>>>>>> my philosophy degree quite a bit tbh.

What work experience did you have prior to your role? (I assume you're working in chemistry/science/tech etc.?)
Reply 14

UCL, Classics. Finishing this year, but on track for a 1st.
Reply 15
Original post by Gubey
UCL, Classics. Finishing this year, but on track for a 1st.

Solid stuff fella. Which grad scheme?
Reply 16
No expectations, really. Knew I wanted to stay in the regions so didn't anticipate mega salary from the get go.

Got law conversion and LPC sponsorship worth £28k over two years, now training on an average of £26k over another two years.

Qualification job shouldn't be an issue - can expect £37k+ straight after I qualify.

1st class degree in a social science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Social Science @ Uni. of Nottingham
Reply 18
expectations 20k

reality 27000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Solid stuff fella. Which grad scheme?