The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4740
Original post by Futuremedic2096
It will indeed, you need to add a reference to anything that isn't entirely yours or add more!

I used a lot of information but it just so happens when explaining my argument I did not need to directly quote something as such. So it won't be enough to have what my references are in the footnotes and a bibliography listing everything I used?
How many is not many?! How about you find a conflicting view to yours and the put something along the lines of on the other hand (Wilson et al) thinks this....... It's another way of accessing higher marks
Just wondering, how many audience members did you have for your presentation?
Reply 4743
Original post by Ilhajxichjabv

About 15? Everyone else doing EPQ in my year, the year 12s just starting out and then a few teachers. I did it a second time but only 1 teacher turned up. :colondollar:
Original post by Ilhajxichjabv

I only did mine to my two teachers. Would have been with the other 2 students doing it but they were late :tongue:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4745
Quick question here, I'm doing (well not really) and AQA EPQ which I submitted on my UCAS. I haven't done it (because I'm lazy) and it's due in in a week. I don't want a good grade, just a U as I have received all my offers, which don't include it. I was wondering how do you get a U? For example do I have to have a certain amount of work to hand in? or can I just give in nothing and still get a U, or will that result in something else entirely?
Thanks for the replies. I don't think we'll get a say in how many audience members we want. I'd rather it was between 5-10.
I'm about to start writing my project report, and I'm bit worried about how long it will end up - i.e. More than 5000 words! Does anyone know how far you can go over without getting penalised (do you get penalised?) Also if can I include sources as little numbers actually in the text like on Wikipedia to save on word count, or do I need to mention the author's names in the text?
Reply 4748
Original post by Rose_Wavy
I'm about to start writing my project report, and I'm bit worried about how long it will end up - i.e. More than 5000 words! Does anyone know how far you can go over without getting penalised (do you get penalised?) Also if can I include sources as little numbers actually in the text like on Wikipedia to save on word count, or do I need to mention the author's names in the text?

Check your spec re: word count, I was on Edexcel and while they recommended 5,000 words, you weren't penalised for going over - mine was closer to 9,000! :smile:

I used footnotes throughout mine and included a bibliography with all the authors names etc. I don't know the protocol, but I think either is fine! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BWCW
Check your spec re: word count, I was on Edexcel and while they recommended 5,000 words, you weren't penalised for going over - mine was closer to 9,000! :smile:

I used footnotes throughout mine and included a bibliography with all the authors names etc. I don't know the protocol, but I think either is fine! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on AQA and it really doesn't matter it's just a guide, you need to be concise and cleat though! I know it's a cliche but quality not quantity! I'm doing the number thing too, it's easier to cite and change setting to ISO 670 or something like that! If you get stuck just pm me :wink:
Thanks, I'm also on AQA and feel a lot less worried about my write up! :smile:
Reply 4751
I'm on AQA and it really doesn't matter it's just a guide, you need to be concise and cleat though! I know it's a cliche but quality not quantity! I'm doing the number thing too, it's easier to cite and change setting to ISO 670 or something like that! If you get stuck just pm me :wink:

Yep, here's hoping anyway! Yeah, footnoting wasn't easy, but it was easier than referencing throughout. :redface:

I've actually finished and I think my teacher submitted it in time for the January deadline, so I should be getting results soon! Have you finished yours? :smile:
Original post by BWCW
Yep, here's hoping anyway! Yeah, footnoting wasn't easy, but it was easier than referencing throughout. :redface:

I've actually finished and I think my teacher submitted it in time for the January deadline, so I should be getting results soon! Have you finished yours? :smile:

i though foot noting was not allowed except for appendixes
Original post by Rose_Wavy

500 word give or take BUT I'm not sure whether this includes the bibliography
Reply 4754
Original post by flou_fboco2

:confused: Like I said, I'm not too sure! I was under the impression that it was ok to put in citations for points you were making from sources and putting the source URL/reference as the footnote. But I don't know really!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flou_fboco2

I think they're allowed it's just not professional or strictly correct to use that format! 5000 words isn't a limit you can go way over! The bibliography isn't included in the word count!
I think they're allowed it's just not professional or strictly correct to use that format! 5000 words isn't a limit you can go way over! The bibliography isn't included in the word count!

ok thank you
Reply 4757
How're you guys critically analysing your sources? I've got a real mixture and I just have no clue how to do it, I also can't email my teacher cause microsoft are being rubbish. My title is: Have human needs changed and how do they affect our lifestyle?

I've got sources straight from Maslow's paper on human needs, then I've got one from a life coach's website, a paper that analyses said life coach, plus some archaeological evidence from a paper in 2012, some BBC articles, a book about language as a need, a website about human rights and one from stylist magazine about why we feel hungry (it sounds like a crap source but it's got loads of scientific info on hormones and stuff). Oh and i've quoted a documenatry from 2001.

Here's an example section:

Maslow believed that humans are motivated to achieve certain needs, and once the first and most basic are met, we move onto achieving the next, not unlike Murray’s primary and secondary needs. Maslow stated “It is quite true that man lives by bread alone when there is no bread. But what happens to man’s desires when there is plenty of bread and when his belly is chronically filled? At once other (and ‘higher’) needs emerge and these, […] dominate the organism. […] This is what we mean by saying that the basic human needs are organized into a hierarchy of relative prepotency'.” Here, Maslow explains that needs must be met in hierarchial order, that we cannot “skip” levels - we cannot begin to focus on belonging needs, without first having satisfied our basic needs and our safety needs.He also suggested that we can fluctuate between levels, for example, losing a job would affect our self-esteem, placing us back into the ‘belonging’ stage, and aiming towards self-esteem.

Any pointers on how to go about the analysing malarky would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Jody96
How're you guys critically analysing your sources? I've got a real mixture and I just have no clue how to do it, I also can't email my teacher cause microsoft are being rubbish. My title is: Have human needs changed and how do they affect our lifestyle?

I've got sources straight from Maslow's paper on human needs, then I've got one from a life coach's website, a paper that analyses said life coach, plus some archaeological evidence from a paper in 2012, some BBC articles, a book about language as a need, a website about human rights and one from stylist magazine about why we feel hungry (it sounds like a crap source but it's got loads of scientific info on hormones and stuff). Oh and i've quoted a documenatry from 2001.

Here's an example section:

Maslow believed that humans are motivated to achieve certain needs, and once the first and most basic are met, we move onto achieving the next, not unlike Murray’s primary and secondary needs. Maslow stated “It is quite true that man lives by bread alone when there is no bread. But what happens to man’s desires when there is plenty of bread and when his belly is chronically filled? At once other (and ‘higher’) needs emerge and these, […] dominate the organism. […] This is what we mean by saying that the basic human needs are organized into a hierarchy of relative prepotency'.” Here, Maslow explains that needs must be met in hierarchial order, that we cannot “skip” levels - we cannot begin to focus on belonging needs, without first having satisfied our basic needs and our safety needs.He also suggested that we can fluctuate between levels, for example, losing a job would affect our self-esteem, placing us back into the ‘belonging’ stage, and aiming towards self-esteem.

Any pointers on how to go about the analysing malarky would be greatly appreciated :smile:

What you've done sounds good, I'm a science and maths freak so can't help with the writing because I have no idea what to do! TIP you need to cite with numbers and attach a bibliography! also after a while delete this post, the exam boards use a plagiarism system which will flag up this if you include it in your project
Reply 4759
Yeah, i'm loving the number citing - I was explaining to my friend how to do it and she got all excited when she inserted a bit with a quote, and word automatically shifted the numbers up - it was hilarious!

Spooky, I've put the essay to one side for a bit (after 5 days solid, it's getting boring) to sort out my bibliography. Luckily I kept updating it as I went along so I haven't got too much work to do, but I completely changed my question after doing a fair bit of research so those sources are now irrelevant - do I still include them in my bibliography if I explain why they are there in my log? Or do I just ditch them from my bibliography?

Thanks for the heads up on deleting the post - I never thought about that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending