The Student Room Group

AS biology coursework ?? !!!!

I'm doing my coursework on conservation of tigers , my method is captive breeding. What are the risks of captive breeding? I can't seem to find one main problem. What are the risks of captive breeding with the aim of reintroduction?
Original post by Dopeasstvd
I'm doing my coursework on conservation of tigers , my method is captive breeding. What are the risks of captive breeding? I can't seem to find one main problem. What are the risks of captive breeding with the aim of reintroduction?

Hey :smile:

One main risk of captive breeding is that it can result in inbreeding which is obviously an issue due to the allele frequency in the gene pool. It can cause genetic drift of a population, so specific genes can be totally eradicated from the species due to a lack of variation in the alleles and thus genetic variation within the species can decrease. Inbreeding can also actually result in immunity to specific diseases as well as abnormalities in the phenotype of the offspring. :smile: so you're best probably focusing on inbreeding.

Another issue with captive breeding is that the offspring will be brought up with a poor ability in terms of hunting for their own food etc. They will obviously have their food provided by them, and that's where the issue lies with the aim of reintroduction; they won't know how to survive on their own as they'll be limited in how they can provide for themselves as they were brought up with all of the important necessities (food, water, shelter etc) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Lucy's the resident queen of Bio Coursework :tongue:
Original post by ThePoster
Lucy's the resident queen of Bio Coursework :tongue:

Hahaha :lol: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, Your topic looks quite interesting. I think there are more benefits associated with captive breeding programme, but some risk could be like, there might be less genetic diversity because the animals are breeded in restricted conditions in farms and zoos. Anyways, my topic is completely different and more of a new discovery.

If you need further help with this topic, you could try searching WWF Site (NOT WRESTLING ):tongue:. Under their new breeding policy. Hope this helps!:smile:
Reply 5

:biggrin::biggrin: Hahaha I agree thank you lucy
Reply 6
Original post by Lucy96

One main risk of captive breeding is that it can result in inbreeding which is obviously an issue due to the allele frequency in the gene pool. It can cause genetic drift of a population, so specific genes can be totally eradicated from the species due to a lack of variation in the alleles and thus genetic variation within the species can decrease. Inbreeding can also actually result in immunity to specific diseases as well as abnormalities in the phenotype of the offspring. :smile: so you're best probably focusing on inbreeding.

Another issue with captive breeding is that the offspring will be brought up with a poor ability in terms of hunting for their own food etc. They will obviously have their food provided by them, and that's where the issue lies with the aim of reintroduction; they won't know how to survive on their own as they'll be limited in how they can provide for themselves as they were brought up with all of the important necessities (food, water, shelter etc) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:p:p thank you that was very helpful I'll stick with inbreeding. For my alternatives I talked about anti-poaching efforts to conserve tigers. I can't seem to think of another alternative with enough data for me to write do you have any ideas? I read a lot habitat conservation , but it's not very specific.
Reply 7
Original post by Changing Skies

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know for my alternatives I'm writing about conserving their habitat by monitoring the tigers and when conservationists do this is through satellite images. I thought this is a good idea for an alternative but I don't how this is a good conservation method can you help me with this please?. It's 2 marks for one alternative but you only get the full marks if my alternative is descriptive and fully explained.
You know for my alternatives I'm writing about conserving their habitat by monitoring the tigers and when conservationists do this is through satellite images. I thought this is a good idea for an alternative but I don't how this is a good conservation method can you help me with this please?. It's 2 marks for one alternative but you only get the full marks if my alternative is descriptive and fully explained.

That sounds like a good idea, yes :yep: my alternative ideas weren't obvious conservation methods but they were still considered okay. I think yours seems very plausible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Changing Skies
That sounds like a good idea, yes :yep: my alternative ideas weren't obvious conservation methods but they were still considered okay. I think yours seems very plausible :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh OK cool when did you do this coursework btw? cuz I saw that your word count was over 5,000 and we can't do more than like 2,300 lol?
oh OK cool when did you do this coursework btw? cuz I saw that your word count was over 5,000 and we can't do more than like 2,300 lol?

Last year :tongue:

I always seem to go over the word count, somehow it didn't matter too much :colondollar: my A2 one this year is about 8,000 whilst the recommended length is 3,000 :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest