The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Hi Rosie0104,

I got accepted to city this year and my undergrad was in English Literature. I've worked as an English Language teacher (teaching international students) for 3 years and I had a relevant voluntary work and work experience. So don't give up, they do accept people from different disciplines, My advice would be to apply for more than one course, I also got an interview at Essex. Good luck :smile:
Hyey Aberdell...I got rejected from most UK unis too. I got an offer from QMU to.... can I ask how you will be paying fees?

Original post by Aberdelle
Oh no....I just got rejected... At least I have an offer from QMU, so it's not the end of the world :smile: I hope the rest of you receive positive news!!! :smile:
aAAARGH why is it sooo hard to get into this profession? Just got rejected by everywhere in England.. waiting to hear from Essex though! Nail biting few weeks ahead of me until hear! Anyone else got offers from QMU?
Reply 483
Original post by Sasha24566
aAAARGH why is it sooo hard to get into this profession? Just got rejected by everywhere in England.. waiting to hear from Essex though! Nail biting few weeks ahead of me until hear! Anyone else got offers from QMU?

Good luck. It's heartbreaking being rejected - I know how you feel as I have been rejected from 2 out of three Uni's! Not sure what else I can do to get experience and reflect - feel at the end of my tether! How was your interview with Essex? I have one soon.

Fingers crossed for us!
Interview at Essex was fine - they are the most loveliest bunch of interviewers ever! They make you feel really at ease and comfortable and the course is amazing. Fingers crossed
Reply 485
Hey Sasha :smile:
Have you accepted the offer from QMU? Well, I'm an international student and I get a student loan from back home to pay the fees...thankfully, otherwise it would've been too expensive :/ I'll definitely work on the side as well though...how about you?
(edited 10 years ago)
For me its too expensive :frown: I cant afford 16k?! im so stuck!
Hello :smile: congratulations to all the people that got a place on the Sheffield course! Unfortunately I got rejected so off to City instead! It would be really useful to get feedback about the interview, does anyone know how you go about doing this as the email doesn't say anything about feedback?
Original post by BeccaKosinski
Hello :smile: congratulations to all the people that got a place on the Sheffield course! Unfortunately I got rejected so off to City instead! It would be really useful to get feedback about the interview, does anyone know how you go about doing this as the email doesn't say anything about feedback?

congrats! would be best to ring the admissions team, or email them directly.. as a rule i don't think the unis offering this course really give out feedback but it's worth a try anyway, especially if you went to the interview and got that far :smile:
Anyone going to Limerick 2014 ? x
Reply 490
Original post by Sasha24566
Anyone going to Limerick 2014 ? x

Hi Sasha,

I'm still in the midst of decision-making but more than likely I'll be taking Limerick. It's such a well reputed course and the Dysphagia qualification is included which isn't the case for the majority of the UK-based unis!

Have you accepted and paid your deposit on a place in UL?

Dani xx
Reply 491
Hi Dani,

I graduated from UCL and always assumed that separate dysphagia qualification was not needed... I am puzzled now, and I work with dysphagia patients!
Ava
Reply 492
Original post by Ava B
Hi Dani,

I graduated from UCL and always assumed that separate dysphagia qualification was not needed... I am puzzled now, and I work with dysphagia patients!
Ava

Hi Ava,

According to the senior SLT I'm working with at the moment, it's a greater number of dysphagia competency hours which provide the additional qualification and especially in Ireland recently qualified SLTs are now having to complete cpd courses in dysphagia for even basic grade positions.

The dysphagia qualification is a small qualification which can be completed as part of cpd if not included as part of your basic degree and is not strictly necessary at the moment to work in the area but it's becoming more and more desirable to have it due to competition within the workforce.
It's just included as part of the masters at UL and from what I've been told there's talk of adding the qualification to more SLT courses but please don't quote me on that. It's sometimes confusing trying to reconcile the small differences between Ireland and the UK.

As you say you're working in the area which goes to show the qualification is not a huge issue at the moment but who knows what will be the case in the coming years.
Reply 493
Thanks for your comprehensive response Dani. Maybe I'll look at CPD courses available through the Trust I work for in the future, you never know when it may come in handy!

We had a few Irish girls on my cohort who chose the UK because of the courses being funded, except for QMU.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ava
Reply 494
Original post by Ava B
Thanks for your comprehensive response Dani. Maybe I'll look at CPD courses available through the Trust I work for in the future, you never know when it may come in handy!

We had a few Irish girls on my cohort who chose the UK because of the courses being funded, except for QMU.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ava

Hi Ava,

I do endeavour to be as comprehensive as possible haha. Sometimes I tend to ramble as a result. I hope I didn't go off on too much of a tangent there.

My two top choices were UCL and UL at home and having been lucky enough to get accepted to both I'm still weighing up. I have to admit UCL is fantastic and Anna C is a huge draw for going there. I have had such lovely chats with her and get the odd random email from her just saying something sweet. She's brilliant. She said the Irish contingent is dwindling in UCL and she wants to build it up again. I think the hardest part of possibly turning down UCL would be telling Anna haha 😄

The best of luck with work and your CPD and thanks for your reply. The forum is great for meeting those already qualified and working in the field.

Cheers,
Dani xx
Reply 495
Original post by DANI_F
Hi Ava,

I do endeavour to be as comprehensive as possible haha. Sometimes I tend to ramble as a result. I hope I didn't go off on too much of a tangent there.

My two top choices were UCL and UL at home and having been lucky enough to get accepted to both I'm still weighing up. I have to admit UCL is fantastic and Anna C is a huge draw for going there. I have had such lovely chats with her and get the odd random email from her just saying something sweet. She's brilliant. She said the Irish contingent is dwindling in UCL and she wants to build it up again. I think the hardest part of possibly turning down UCL would be telling Anna haha

The best of luck with work and your CPD and thanks for your reply. The forum is great for meeting those already qualified and working in the field.

Cheers,
Dani xx

Hi Dani,

You didn't and it is something useful to know.

I know what you mean, Anna is lovely and she does a super job at keeping everything together. I think quite a few from my cohort would have fallen to bits had it not been for her being so supportive and encouraging :tongue:. The never ending supply of chocolate biscuits and tissues also helped.

Choices are always difficult, especially when you have offers from your two top choices. I heard Limerick is really good, though my mum, who is from Galway, would have something smart to say about that!!!

UCL is great and should you opt to go there, you won't regret it. Then again, if you feel Limerick is the better choice for you, then go for it... and good luck telling Anna ;-)

Ava
Congratulations on your offers everyone! I've just accepted my offer from Reading & it's all so exciting! Has anyone else accepted an offer there? I know it's a long shot as there will only be ten of us on the programme, but it'd be lovely to get to know some others ahead of time :smile:

Daisy xx
Reply 497
Original post by Jennifer Daisy
Congratulations on your offers everyone! I've just accepted my offer from Reading & it's all so exciting! Has anyone else accepted an offer there? I know it's a long shot as there will only be ten of us on the programme, but it'd be lovely to get to know some others ahead of time :smile:

Daisy xx

Hi Daisy,

I accepted my Reading offer today too! Can't believe it's actually happening!! I'm in contact with a girl I met at the Reading interview day and I think she might be setting up a facebook page so will link it on here if she does :smile: Well done on getting in! Will you be moving to Reading?

Kelsey x
Original post by kelseyg
Hi Daisy,

I accepted my Reading offer today too! Can't believe it's actually happening!! I'm in contact with a girl I met at the Reading interview day and I think she might be setting up a facebook page so will link it on here if she does :smile: Well done on getting in! Will you be moving to Reading?

Kelsey x

Congratulations on your offer too! Firing off a private message to you now :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 499
Original post by GiGi2013
Hi Rosie0104,

I got accepted to city this year and my undergrad was in English Literature. I've worked as an English Language teacher (teaching international students) for 3 years and I had a relevant voluntary work and work experience. So don't give up, they do accept people from different disciplines, My advice would be to apply for more than one course, I also got an interview at Essex. Good luck :smile:

Hi GiGi,
Thanks, that's very encouraging to hear and congratulations on getting a place! I'm actually moving to Papua New Guinea next month to teach English. Do you have a CELTA/ Tefl qualification? Sorry to ask lots of questions but what work/voluntary experience did you have before you applied? Yes, next year I'll apply for more Uni's and hopefully be more successful.

Latest