The Student Room Group

Uni-one VS Uni-two etc...

I have heard people praise Southampton for Engineering all around Cambridge, infact my house-mate turned down Cambridge for Southampton- because he liked their Electronic Engineering department more.

However, when I looked around the internet, people make it seem like the least prestigious Russell Group Uni. Why isn't southampton credited for its Engineering department? Is Southampton internationally recognised?

I have also got offers from Exeter- which is apparently much more prestigious. And Queen Mary (meh).

Still waiting on Warwick.

What would you do if you wanted to move out of the UK and be able to get a job everywhere. I want to be travelling my whole life. Southampton may be well known here, but hardly knows of it elsewhere. Right?

I am going to post-offer open days to see which one I'd prefer going to..
It IS good for electronic engineering - but people not doing that subject might not know that (why would they?)

Personally I think it's generally fairly underrated as a uni though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I'm in almost the same situation. Deciding between Warwick and Southampton for Computer Science, with the former having more prestige overall, but the latter apparently has one of the best CS/EE departments in the country, up there with Oxbridge/Imperial. :dontknow:
Reply 3
Original post by TSR561
I'm in almost the same situation. Deciding between Warwick and Southampton for Computer Science, with the former having more prestige overall, but the latter apparently has one of the best CS/EE departments in the country, up there with Oxbridge/Imperial. :dontknow:

Exactly! I'm going to visit next week though- let's see how amazing their EE department actually is!

Warwick is quite good for CS btw-
But Southampton has that edge! You'll get to work closely with electronics too, and believe me that makes it a whole lot more interesting.

For Warwick, I applied to EE with CS, so.. high chance of a meet up, buddy.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
It IS good for electronic engineering - but people not doing that subject might not know that (why would they?)

Personally I think it's generally fairly underrated as a uni though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's even got a huge forest next to it! Lions and snakes all around.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
Exactly! I'm going to visit next week though- let's see how amazing their EE department actually is!

Warwick is quite good for CS btw-
But Southampton has that edge! You'll get to work closely with electronics too, and believe me that makes it a whole lot more interesting.

For Warwick, I applied to EE with CS, so.. high chance of a meet up, buddy.

Yeah exactly, it'd be much easier if their courses were different and if one was clearly better, but they're both pretty much equal! Southampton's CS/EE block is stunning though, you'll love it.
Reply 6
Original post by TSR561
Yeah exactly, it'd be much easier if their courses were different and if one was clearly better, but they're both pretty much equal! Southampton's CS/EE block is stunning though, you'll love it.

But.. EE is better at Southampton, right? :colonhash:
Reply 7
But.. EE is better at Southampton, right? :colonhash:

I'm sure it is haha. Also, I think I'd prefer having a fairly big town with Southampton rather than pretty much being stuck on campus at Warwick.
Reply 8
Original post by TSR561
I'm sure it is haha. Also, I think I'd prefer having a fairly big town with Southampton rather than pretty much being stuck on campus at Warwick.

I think CS is better at Warwick though, I've heard Warwick is good with Maths and CS
Reply 9
I think CS is better at Warwick though, I've heard Warwick is good with Maths and CS

It's up with Oxbridge for Maths, but I don't think their CS is as good as Southampton's. I think I'll pick Warwick anyway to preserve the tradition of 3 of my cousins going there :tongue:. It's only my insurance pick anyway, I'll probably not go to either.
Yeah, it's even got a huge forest next to it! Lions and snakes all around.

:lolwut:

Southampton isn't the jungle m'dear.
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
:lolwut:

Southampton isn't the jungle m'dear.

They even have hedgehogs.
I have heard people praise Southampton for Engineering all around Cambridge, infact my house-mate turned down Cambridge for Southampton- because he liked their Electronic Engineering department more.

However, when I looked around the internet, people make it seem like the least prestigious Russell Group Uni. Why isn't southampton credited for its Engineering department? Is Southampton internationally recognised?

I have also got offers from Exeter- which is apparently much more prestigious. And Queen Mary (meh).

Still waiting on Warwick.

What would you do if you wanted to move out of the UK and be able to get a job everywhere. I want to be travelling my whole life. Southampton may be well known here, but hardly knows of it elsewhere. Right?

I am going to post-offer open days to see which one I'd prefer going to..

Southampton's engineering department is accredited.

It doesn't really matter whether your people on the internet think that Southampton is the "least prestigious" Russell Group university. It is honestly completely irrelevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending