The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
The South East is full of pen pushers, not manufacturers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I meant to say 'but all the manufacturing facilities of the UK as well'
Reply 6341
Seems salmond is just ploughing ahead with this currency idea.... I.dont think trying to call a bluff is a particularly good plan for an independence campaign. If Scotland gets independence the man is going to drive the country straight into a hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
Seems salmond is just ploughing ahead with this currency idea.... I.dont think trying to call a bluff is a particularly good plan for an independence campaign. If Scotland gets independence the man is going to drive the country straight into a hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Particularly when the bluff isn't a bluff. The UK politicians cannot change their minds as it would go against independent expert and official advice strongly and publicly given. Surely the SNP realises that?
(edited 10 years ago)
It doesn't really matter, (which is what I despise most about the way he's conducting himself btw) he only needs to convince people it will happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Psyk
It would be quite a strange move for Spain to refuse to recognise a newly independent country when even the country it's seceding from does. I think it's pretty safe to say they wouldn't do that even if they do block Scotland's entry into the EU.

I didn't think they actually had said they'd block Scotland's EU membership. Didn't they essentially say "no comment"?

The Spanish foreign ministry have suggested on a number of occasions that they might veto it. Mr Barroso (EU Commission President) believes that both Germany and Belgium have misgivings too!(1)

(1) http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-independent-scotland-stay-eu/17767
Original post by L i b
Because every single member state has to sign the accession treaty allowing a new member in?

Of course, but how is it justifiable to veto the accession of Scotland? If we were talking about Belarus, a country with human rights abuses, it would make sense.

I don't think Spain will veto it outright, they'll just impose full, ordinary conditions on Scotland (Euro, Schengen and border posts at Gretna, no tuition fees for rUK students, full adherence to the CFP etc) - and wait and see whether it is utterly intolerable to the Scottish administration.

I'm intrigued as to whether Salmond will turn to the euro, or create a new currency, because the pound clearly isn't going to happen.
Reply 6346
Original post by Stalin
Of course, but how is it justifiable to veto the accession of Scotland? If we were talking about Belarus, a country with human rights abuses, it would make sense.

I was just pointing to the technical mechanism. As I said, I don't think Spain would veto a separated-off Scotland's entry. However that's not really the issue at play: it's the conditions of accession. The SNP want special treatment - today Nicola Sturgeon hinted she'd not sign up to any obligation to join the Euro.

Now, realistically, would that hold? Scotland realistically has to be in the EU - we'd pretty much have to accept what's given to us. So I suspect Spain and other countries will be pushing for a 'no special treatment' deal.

I'm intrigued as to whether Salmond will turn to the euro, or create a new currency, because the pound clearly isn't going to happen.

The Euro would, presumably, be public relations suicide...
Original post by L i b
I was just pointing to the technical mechanism. As I said, I don't think Spain would veto a separated-off Scotland's entry. However that's not really the issue at play: it's the conditions of accession. The SNP want special treatment - today Nicola Sturgeon hinted she'd not sign up to any obligation to join the Euro.

Now, realistically, would that hold? Scotland realistically has to be in the EU - we'd pretty much have to accept what's given to us. So I suspect Spain and other countries will be pushing for a 'no special treatment' deal.

The Euro would, presumably, be public relations suicide...

What's wrong with EFTA?
Original post by Stalin
What's wrong with EFTA?

It isn't what the SNP is promising (which is, in fact, that Scotland won't even have a short period outside the EU) and would therefore be seen as second best to those that like to hold political parties to their promises - and, therefore, an electoral ball and chain - as well as humiliating to the SNP leadership.

how is it justifiable to veto the accession of Scotland?

Countries justify their actions in many ways, and often have no justification at all. Witness the Argentine invasion of the Falklands; no sane person would have advised it would be (a) justified in the eyes of the law or morally, or (b) ultimately successful. Yet Argentina went ahead.

If a country goes to war in such a way, who is to say what a country might do in terms of making life uncomfortable, with long delays before accession, for those that might be setting a nasty precedent for the richest part of its own country?
(edited 10 years ago)
So David bowie words are considered to be interference but when Sean Connery comments on the debate he is treated like a man of wisdom. :confused:
Original post by FinalMH
So David bowie words are considered to be interference but when Sean Connery comments on the debate he is treated like a man of wisdom. :confused:

There can only be one.
http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/02/first-post-currency-row-poll-shows-no-boost-for-no/

First poll since Osborne's currency intervention - there hasn't been the increase in the predicted No vote he was hoping for (though it's too early to say whether the Yes vote may have actually benefited from it).
Original post by FinalMH

Both of their opinions are irrelevant as neither of them live in the UK, let alone Scotland!

I hate when "celebrities" get involved with politics, especially on a scale like this where it is clear he is just trying to influence peoples' vote rather than just giving his opinion on the matter.
Watching these Olympics on BBC and realising that they're begging Scotland to vote no for independence just so they don't have to train up their own curling team for 2018.i so hope Scotland vote yes.england are so lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by krishkmistry
Watching these Olympics on BBC and realising that they're begging Scotland to vote no for independence just so they don't have to train up their own curling team for 2018.i so hope Scotland vote yes.england are so lazy.

There is a little more to it than forming a sports team, you know. It seems unlikely the UK would have a team of sufficient standard without the Scots, but only a madman would let that sway them either way in their vote.
Of course I know - in my opinion though voting yes will mean the 'new Britain' have a test if they can stand on their own two feet without relying on others for success.This country is ridiculous.It gets involved in politician stories it doesn't need to get involved it.The row about immigration has occurred for a possible viable reason that British scroungers can't get off their own backsides and find a job yet they're complaining that other ethnic groups can.economy is a mess.scotland should leave this tip of this country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue Meltwater
http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/02/first-post-currency-row-poll-shows-no-boost-for-no/

First poll since Osborne's currency intervention - there hasn't been the increase in the predicted No vote he was hoping for (though it's too early to say whether the Yes vote may have actually benefited from it).

One poll, that indicates that if the referendum were held tomorrow, the no camp would romp home.

The SNP have jumped the shark. They have no credibility on the currency issue, they have no credibility on Europe, and if they have their way, every Scottish person's pension will plummet in value when it's redenominated in the worthless new Scottish poond.
Of course I know - in my opinion though voting yes will mean the 'new Britain' have a test if they can stand on their own two feet without relying on others for success.This country is ridiculous.It gets involved in politician stories it doesn't need to get involved it.The row about immigration has occurred for a possible viable reason that British scroungers can't get off their own backsides and find a job yet they're complaining that other ethnic groups can.economy is a mess.scotland should leave this tip of this country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scottish voters are as concerned about immigration as the rest of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it isn't about England v Scotland, all the Yes voters told me so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
The South East is full of pen pushers, not manufacturers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've thought of that with the high end formula 1 manufacturing based just outside London.

Latest

Trending

Trending