Archurus23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm not doing well in it at all but I'm told that I will need an A if I'm to get into university. Does anyone doing A level French have any tips for me. An A in French for me does not look likely. Especially not now. And especially not how difficult I'm finding it to study
Sano16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I do a level french edexcel syllabus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Archurus23
Rep:
?
Yay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Archurus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sano16)
Hey, I do a level french edexcel syllabus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sano16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's good - I got an A in the mock but only just! What about you?
florence1028
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi -fellow frenchie come to join your conversation . I also do the edexcel syllabus, are you guys doing AS or A2 at the moment?
chloevictoria
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I also do the Edexcel French syllabus! I'm doing A2 at the moment
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bonjour à tout

En ce moment, j'étudie AS mais je dirais que mon niveau de français est A2 ish... alors, si vous voulez parler en français, j'essaierai de parler avec vous!

J'étudiais A2 mais il a pris trop de temps, alors j'ai arrêté.
chloevictoria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Archurus23)
I'm not doing well in it at all but I'm told that I will need an A if I'm to get into university. Does anyone doing A level French have any tips for me. An A in French for me does not look likely. Especially not now. And especially not how difficult I'm finding it to study
First and foremost, I bet you're doing better in French than you think

What exam board are you on? What do you specifically need tips for? Is it writing, speaking, listening or reading? Identify your weaknesses and then focus on them.

If it's writing then I recommend revising lots and lots of impressive structures including the subjunctive and incorporating a variety of tenses such as the conditional. A good example of this is the use of 'si' clauses, where you have to use the imperfect in the first half of the sentence, followed by the conditional (example: si j'étais riche, j'acheterais....).

Exam boards also love love love it when students use idioms (phrases which have no direct translation into English). It shows you know your stuff and you're thinking in French, not just translating your ideas straight into French.

If it's speaking and listening, then what I found useful was to regularly listen to French music/French radio, listen to/watch French news every day without fail (sounds sad, but it works and does wonders for your pronunciation and the authenticity of your accent). I used websites such as tf1.fr. For speaking practice, record yourself speaking in French and listen back to it - what mistakes did you make (if any)? how could you improve?

As far as reading is concerned, try to read the news on a regular basis (in French of course) and see if you can understand what's going on before you read the English version. You could also try to read a few short stories in French to broaden your vocabulary if you feel like challenging yourself

I hope this helped a little bit! This is what got me through AS
Bonne chance
thatitootoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Bonjour à tout

En ce moment, j'étudie AS mais je dirais que mon niveau de français est A2 ish... alors, si vous voulez parler en français, j'essaierai de parler avec vous!

J'étudiais A2 mais il a pris trop de temps, alors j'ai arrêté.
Don't scare people with your French, you
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thatitootoo)
Don't scare people with your French, you
:lol: it wouldn't scare even an ASer
Lovinlife2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I didn't do French at A level, but I did German at AS which I've now dropped and ended up getting a D despite achieving an A at GCSE and working really hard for this subject!

I don't think anyone should take a language at A level unless they are genuinely talented at the language
Archurus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloevictoria)

What exam board are you on? What do you specifically need tips for? Is it writing, speaking, listening or reading? Identify your weaknesses and then focus on them.

If it's writing then I recommend revising lots and lots of impressive structures including the subjunctive and incorporating a variety of tenses such as the conditional. A good example of this is the use of 'si' clauses, where you have to use the imperfect in the first half of the sentence, followed by the conditional (example: si j'étais riche, j'acheterais....).

Exam boards also love love love it when students use idioms (phrases which have no direct translation into English). It shows you know your stuff and you're thinking in French, not just translating your ideas straight into French.

If it's speaking and listening, then what I found useful was to regularly listen to French music/French radio, listen to/watch French news every day without fail (sounds sad, but it works and does wonders for your pronunciation and the authenticity of your accent). I used websites such as tf1.fr. For speaking practice, record yourself speaking in French and listen back to it - what mistakes did you make (if any)? how could you improve?

As far as reading is concerned, try to read the news on a regular basis (in French of course) and see if you can understand what's going on before you read the English version. You could also try to read a few short stories in French to broaden your vocabulary if you feel like challenging yourself

Bonne chance
Sorry. I've been quite busy recently. My exam board is OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Archurus23
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloevictoria)

Bonne chance
Thank you. Do you think it can be done in a month?

Posted from TSR Mobile
chloevictoria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Archurus23)
Thank you. Do you think it can be done in a month?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe! I guess it depends
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads