The Student Room Group

How To Get Work Experience in NHS? :)

How do I go about getting work experience in the NHS. My school are being no help as although I got 9 As in int 2s last year they think I am too "quiet" for this kind of think
thanks, any help appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

The easiest way is if you know someone working there - who you may be able to shadow for a few days. However, if you don't have a contact you can try asking your local GP surgery/ hospital/ nursing home/ pharmacy/ etc. to ask about work experience. Depending on your age and how long you want to be there for, they may be able to offer you something.
Remember that since medicine is so competitive, it is really hard to get work experience within the NHS. Perhaps look into volunteering in a caring role - for example in an old persons home, with kids in a scouting group, etc. - this may be slightly easier to get, cater more to what you want to do, and give evidence of a longer term commitment to medicine/ nursing/ social work/ childcare/ whatever else you're interested in as well as demonstrate your ability to show initiative and go out of your way to help others.
Reply 2
How do I go about getting work experience in the NHS as I'm interested in a career in medicine/pharmacology/nursing??
My school are being no help so any advice is appreciated :smile:
Reply 3
Ring a hospital/their different departments and ask around.
Reply 4
how do I go about getting work experience in the NHS as I'm interested in a career in medicine/nursing/pharmacy?? My school are being no help so any advice is much appreciated :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by oyyoyy
Ring a hospital/their different departments and ask around.

have you done work experience in NHS? :smile:
Reply 6
was it helpful?
How do I go about getting work experience over summer? My school are being no help so any advice appreciated :smile: thanks
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Trusts will have their own schemes. Look on their websites and find the coordinator.
Reply 8
Original post by ah4p
have you done work experience in NHS? :smile:

Yeah I did a week's work experience at a GP surgery and a week at a hospital too. That being said, if you can't find work experience at a department you want (since loads of people apply to the flashy a&e/cardiology/etc wards months in advance), try and do some voluntary work at a care home etc to show you can develop your skills in other ways too.. it doesn't matter what you do and how long for (so long as it's related to health/caring professions), what matters is what you've gained from it!
Reply 9
Original post by oyyoyy
Yeah I did a week's work experience at a GP surgery and a week at a hospital too. That being said, if you can't find work experience at a department you want (since loads of people apply to the flashy a&e/cardiology/etc wards months in advance), try and do some voluntary work at a care home etc to show you can develop your skills in other ways too.. it doesn't matter what you do and how long for (so long as it's related to health/caring professions), what matters is what you've gained from it!

Thanks so much!! Really appreciate the advice :smile: It's good to hear from someone who's actually done this before, I'm getting no help from anyone else, the first thing my parents said to me when I suggested this was "you couldn't get into medicine, it'd be too hard for you, wouldn't it?”, great support :P How did you get into your GP’s? Did you phone them directly? :smile: thanks again
Reply 10
Original post by dragonkeeper999
The easiest way is if you know someone working there - who you may be able to shadow for a few days. However, if you don't have a contact you can try asking your local GP surgery/ hospital/ nursing home/ pharmacy/ etc. to ask about work experience. Depending on your age and how long you want to be there for, they may be able to offer you something.
Remember that since medicine is so competitive, it is really hard to get work experience within the NHS. Perhaps look into volunteering in a caring role - for example in an old persons home, with kids in a scouting group, etc. - this may be slightly easier to get, cater more to what you want to do, and give evidence of a longer term commitment to medicine/ nursing/ social work/ childcare/ whatever else you're interested in as well as demonstrate your ability to show initiative and go out of your way to help others.

thanks soo much for your advice, it’s really helpful J have you done work experience in NHS/nursing home etc?
J
Reply 11
Original post by shiggydiggy
Trusts will have their own schemes. Look on their websites and find the coordinator.

Reply 12
Original post by ah4p
Thanks so much!! Really appreciate the advice :smile: It's good to hear from someone who's actually done this before, I'm getting no help from anyone else, the first thing my parents said to me when I suggested this was "you couldn't get into medicine, it'd be too hard for you, wouldn't it?”, great support :P How did you get into your GP’s? Did you phone them directly? :smile: thanks again

Yeah I rang up the surgery and spoke to the head receptionist, sent off a CV and did a week of worm experience in the summer. I would recommend that you try and arrange it as early as possible, since there will be long lines of applicants like you at sought after places like gp surgeries and hospitals.

Don't let your parents get you down! If you put in the work and show genuine interest in medicine you could do it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ah4p
thanks soo much for your advice, it’s really helpful J have you done work experience in NHS/nursing home etc?
J

No problem :smile:

I shadowed a scientist in a pathology lab for a few days, but that was all I did - and I got that through a personal contact, it's pretty hard to get a proper work experience placement. However, I know friends who managed it, so as long as you are enthusiastic and proactive you should be able to persuade someone to take you on :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by oyyoyy
Yeah I rang up the surgery and spoke to the head receptionist, sent off a CV and did a week of worm experience in the summer. I would recommend that you try and arrange it as early as possible, since there will be long lines of applicants like you at sought after places like gp surgeries and hospitals

thanks again :smile: :smile: :smile: how far in advance did you apply? should I do it now??
J

Reply 15
Original post by ah4p
thanks again :smile: :smile: :smile: how far in advance did you apply? should I do it now??
J

You could do it now. I made the mistake of applying in the first week of summer, and the only time left at the gp surgery wad a 4 day week right at the end of august. But hey, it's better than nothing :P
Reply 16
Original post by dragonkeeper999
No problem :smile:

I shadowed a scientist in a pathology lab for a few days, but that was all I did - and I got that through a personal contact, it's pretty hard to get a proper work experience placement. However, I know friends who managed it, so as long as you are enthusiastic and proactive you should be able to persuade someone to take you on :smile:

That sounds really good :smile: thanks again for your help :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by oyyoyy
You could do it now. I made the mistake of applying in the first week of summer, and the only time left at the gp surgery wad a 4 day week right at the end of august. But hey, it's better than nothing :P

yeah it definitely is J I’ll do that then, thanks again J are you applying to medicine/healthcare or already studying at uni? J
Hey :smile: often each hospital has a 'work experience coordinator' so if you ring/ email them the they will send you an application form. Be sure to spend sometime on it though- my application got rejected as it was in blue pen!!
Hope this helps, good luck with medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
1. Check on your local NHS trust's website (and others near to you) if they have an actual work experience scheme. (I did this)

2. Call the hospitals up. Also, some hospitals have lists of their consultants on their websites so you can try emailing as many of them as possible. (I also did this, I attached a CV and covering letter to each email).

3. Use people - this isn't as bad as it sounds!! If you don't know anyone in the healthcare profession, I'm sure you'll know somebody who knows someday who knows someday who knows someday that's in the healthcare profession. You'll be surprised at how many people are actually willing to help.

x

Quick Reply

Latest