The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Worried about a lack of community at KCL

I've got offers from my first choice universities, Bristol and King's, and am now having to make the really horrible decision of which I want to go to. I'm leaning towards King's, but I'm worried that there might be a lack of community at King's after the first year. At Bristol, most people rent student houses in Redland or Cotham, and go out to the same clubs, but obviously in London the students don't just live in one area, and I have no idea whether or not student's tend to go to the same club nights in London, meaning that unless you were living with them, you wouldn't really see your friends, and that not living in a student neighbourhood would leave you feeling quite isolated. I was just wondering whether or not current KCL students would say that that's the case or not? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by crezias
I've got offers from my first choice universities, Bristol and King's, and am now having to make the really horrible decision of which I want to go to. I'm leaning towards King's, but I'm worried that there might be a lack of community at King's after the first year. At Bristol, most people rent student houses in Redland or Cotham, and go out to the same clubs, but obviously in London the students don't just live in one area, and I have no idea whether or not student's tend to go to the same club nights in London, meaning that unless you were living with them, you wouldn't really see your friends, and that not living in a student neighbourhood would leave you feeling quite isolated. I was just wondering whether or not current KCL students would say that that's the case or not? Thanks :smile:

I'm in exactly the same situation! I hope someone from Kings replies, this would be really useful
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2

There's plenty of community, especially if you join some societies. And if you end up making a bunch of friends in first year there's no reason you can't all live in a similar place afterwards. At one point I think there were 6 different households full of people I knew, all living within 10 minutes walk of each other.
Reply 4
Original post by ManifoldManifest
There's plenty of community, especially if you join some societies. And if you end up making a bunch of friends in first year there's no reason you can't all live in a similar place afterwards. At one point I think there were 6 different households full of people I knew, all living within 10 minutes walk of each other.

What course are you doing? :smile:
Reply 5
There is more to life than going "clubbing".
Reply 6
Original post by Book_club
What course are you doing? :smile:

Oh yeah, that'd be really useful thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Old_Simon
There is more to life than going "clubbing".

Yes, but I like going clubbing, (not quite sure why you put that in quotes, that's what it's called) and for me it's a relatively important part of the student experience. I understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but london has loads of amazing clubs and nightlife I would like to take advantage of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's my thread from last year :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2293185

I'm at KCL ATM and I'm having an awesome time, it really is what you make of it to be honest. We go to the same clubs, there's loads of events on as well and on top of that, you can go to the huge variety of clubs all over London if you feel like a change (expensive though!).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Reply 9
Original post by ManifoldManifest

That's really helpful, thank you :smile: do you mind me asking where you lived? Was one particular area popular or were people living all over london?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ForgottenAll
Here's my thread from last year :wink:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2293185

I'm at KCL ATM and I'm having an awesome time, it really is what you make of it to be honest. We go to the same clubs, there's loads of events on as well and on top of that, you can go to the huge variety of clubs all over London if you feel like a change (expensive though!).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you! So do most people go out in the union, or to places like fabric etc? And do you reckon being in the hampstead residence or the intercollegiate halls (my favourite ones) would give more or less of a community feel? Sorry about the 21 questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crezias
Thank you! So do most people go out in the union, or to places like fabric etc? And do you reckon being in the hampstead residence or the intercollegiate halls (my favourite ones) would give more or less of a community feel? Sorry about the 21 questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't give you a 100% accurate answer on whether they will give you more/less of a community feel, but I haven't met anyone living at either of those residences all year. Also, they seemed SO overpriced to me when I checked them out... in my opinion, only take them if you don't get the "main" ones.

As far as I'm aware, the two biggest bars for KCL only/mainly students go to are Guys' Bar (on the Guys' campus) and Walkabout (Stand campus). Both are really great nights out and I go every week with my flatmates/course mates. On top of that, people go to places like Fabric, Ministry, PI, etc, so there is so much variety and option for wherever you want to go on a night out.

Sorry I don't think I answered that question well, but honestly, you shouldn't doubt London nightlife AT ALL, combine it with your own effort to be a part of societies and being outgoing and you will definitely have a great time!

I don't mind answering your questions :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by ForgottenAll
I can't give you a 100% accurate answer on whether they will give you more/less of a community feel, but I haven't met anyone living at either of those residences all year. Also, they seemed SO overpriced to me when I checked them out... in my opinion, only take them if you don't get the "main" ones.

As far as I'm aware, the two biggest bars for KCL only/mainly students go to are Guys' Bar (on the Guys' campus) and Walkabout (Stand campus). Both are really great nights out and I go every week with my flatmates/course mates. On top of that, people go to places like Fabric, Ministry, PI, etc, so there is so much variety and option for wherever you want to go on a night out.

Sorry I don't think I answered that question well, but honestly, you shouldn't doubt London nightlife AT ALL, combine it with your own effort to be a part of societies and being outgoing and you will definitely have a great time!

I don't mind answering your questions :smile:

No, that's really helpful, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Just to add:

Students tend to live in similar areas. Most of my classmates are at most 15 mins away from where I got my flat, and that was without any form of planning or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest