The Student Room Group

Farage accepts Clegg invitation for live EU debate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26287197

After Clegg asked Farage yesterday to participate in debate with him over Eu for May's election Farage has now agreed to take part saying he can hardly wait

So does Clegg stand a chance on a debate with Farage solely on the EU? I have a feeling the debate is going to make or break the libdems and ukip

Scroll to see replies

''I've got to say yes, because we need to have a national debate on what I think is the most important issue this country has faced for hundreds of years.'' - Nigel Farage

Wut?

Anyways, this is interesting. I wonder how it'll pan out.
Should be interesting, but I think a large part of it might be preaching to the choir on both sides - I doubt there are many people stuck unsure between UKIP and the Lib Dems.
Original post by Ace123

After Clegg asked Farage yesterday to participate in debate with him over Eu for May's election Farage has now agreed to take part saying he can hardly wait

So does Clegg stand a chance on a debate with Farage solely on the EU? I have a feeling the debate is going to make or break the libdems and ukip

Farage doesn't even know his manifesto from 2010 and you expect him to have an articulated, non-populist debate based on facts? He just needs to be seen having a pint and fag, complain about immigrants and 'the evil EU', and his popularity soars - it is really grim!

I hope Clegg manages to make himself heard with strong, truthful and sensible arguments.
Reply 4
This could be funny to watch. Maybe not as bad as Nick Griffin on question time, but close.
Farage is a fantastic orator. I think he'll do great.
... m glad it is happening..
Original post by Jefferson Disk
Farage doesn't even know his manifesto from 2010 and you expect him to have an articulated, non-populist debate based on facts? He just needs to be seen having a pint and fag, complain about immigrants and 'the evil EU', and his popularity soars - it is really grim!

I hope Clegg manages to make himself heard with strong, truthful and sensible arguments.

Agreed.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

I'll be honest I don't think the EU as is is perfect, but I think it could be a very good thing if they get it right. Leaving will not change the EU (or if it does shake them into action we'll still be on the outside), the best way forward I think is to try and negotiate a better deal for the whole thing, rather than just for Britain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ace123

Holy crap! I thought this was a joke or an invitation for a radio debate or something, not an actual genuine TV debate.

I actually really like the idea, especially if the Tories and Labour are kept out since they can't decide where they stand. In addition, while i don't believe in a referendum right now i think that a Euro-election debate is a very good idea between the In's and out.

To be honest i suspect if its televised that who wins will be less important than how many Tory and Labour voters are persuaded to abandon them in the Euro elections, this is a very shrewd move by Farage and Clegg as it's free publicity. In addition i do agree with you that it's a litmus test for 2015, it's a test for Ukip of whether they can debate in a professional and gaff free manner and it's a personal test for Clegg because either people will be reminded of his 'betrayal and complicity' or they may begin to forgive him as they see he does have a genuine interest in the country afterall.

I suspect Farage being the better orator will give him an advantage but then speeches are different to being able to debate on your feet. I think of the 3 mainstream leaders Clegg is actually the most natural speaker of the three anyway so i don't think he'll too badly.

Original post by anarchism101
Should be interesting, but I think a large part of it might be preaching to the choir on both sides - I doubt there are many people stuck unsure between UKIP and the Lib Dems.

If the Tories and Labour don;t compete but it still generates interest then it's essentially free publicity to draw people flirting with 'In' and 'Out' to their camps on the Europe issue.
Farage will destroy Clegg.

LEAVE THE EU
Original post by TheHistoryStudent
Agreed.<br />
<br />
Please rate some other members before rating this member again.<br />
<br />
I'll be honest I don't think the EU as is is perfect, but I think it could be a very good thing <i>if</i> they get it right. Leaving will not change the EU (or if it does shake them into action we'll still be on the outside), the best way forward I think is to try and negotiate a better deal for the whole thing, rather than just for Britain.
<br />
<br />

The EU will fall apart without the UK.
Yes Nige, 'ave 'im.
Reply 12
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
<br />
<br />

The EU will fall apart without the UK.

very true the EU is very dependent on UK money and we are one of the only big contributors besides Germany/France if we left they will be in troubke without our £55mil a day. The only possible argument Clegg could make Brits will listen to is on trade but the EU would never stop it because the EU economies will collapse in weeks without UK considering the massive deficits we have with almost all EU nations
Original post by Ace123
very true the EU is very dependent on UK money and we are one of the only big contributors besides Germany/France if we left they will be in troubke without our £55mil a day. The only possible argument Clegg could make Brits will listen to is on trade but the EU would never stop it because the EU economies will collapse in weeks without UK considering the massive deficits we have with almost all EU nations

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.
Reply 14
This could be pretty good - I can't wait!

If Clegg performs well it could give him some much needed public confidence. If Farage under-performs (he has a reputation as a ferocious and feared public figure) it could rock UKIP since he's the face of the party (most people wouldn't be able to name a UKIP figure other than Farage).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by anarchism101

I'm unsure on the particular issue. I don't think I'm uncommonly poorly informed.

I would love to see a single market without all the trimmings. I'm even in favour of free movement of persons. But on the EU as it stands, I'm not sure.

Original post by Burridge
(most people wouldn't be able to name a UKIP figure other than Farage).

Most UKIP politicians apart from Farage appear to be complete idiots. There was one on I think last week's question time who just performed atrociously.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Most UKIP politicians apart from Farage appear to be complete idiots. There was one on I think last week's question time who just performed atrociously.

That'll be Paul Nuttall, no doubt. He's the Deputy Leader, but he's a bit of a clown to be honest. He frustrates me so much!
Original post by Burridge
That'll be Paul Nuttall, no doubt. He's the Deputy Leader, but he's a bit of a clown to be honest. He frustrates me so much!

It turns out it was Janice Atkinson. Someone has helpfully collected together all her stuttering here:

(Though she is perfectly right on smoking in cars, imho)

I must say I rather enjoy Godfrey Bloom, but he's gone, sadly. Obviously he has some silly views, but he's quite funny and occasionally say something absolutely right, e.g.:

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Hope there won't be a plane crash.
Farage is going to use ****ty obvious rhetoric and make no decent point other than talking about how the EU eat newborn babies, Clegg is going to trip over himself and **** his pants.

#eudebate

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending