The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Zoeah
Same! See you there! :smile:

ahhh sweet, 1:45?
Original post by Zoeah
Oh wow, that sounds really restrictive... which is not what you want on a foundation at all- it should be about experimenting and learning how to be self-directed! Its a shame you're having a bad experience foundation-wise, mine has been the best thing I have done so far (realllllly recommend doing one, you learn so much about yourself and your work). I'm at a very small local one, which has managed to gain a fantastic national reputation, particularly for how open it is (don't overlook local places- they're often lead by some really great people). I know someone who did hers at Oxford Brookes and she said it was really good, and she went on to get into Ruskin. :smile:

Yeah, luckily I had a fantastic A-level course which was a lot like a foundation (we had no briefs) so my work has always been very self-directed. :smile: I knew CRC was pretty bad but didn't want the extra cost of living away from home. Really wish I'd gone further afield now.
Reply 102
Hi, I haven't posted here before but I've been looking at the thread lately as the wait for goldsmiths is agonising me! BA Fine art at Goldsmiths is my first choice, and BA Drawing at Camberwell is my second. I live in London so have been able to speak to a lot of people about both courses and whilst hearing mixed reviews on the course at Goldsmiths, I've heard nothing but good things about the course at Camberwell. The independence of the course at Goldsmiths has pushed me to want to go there more, but I'm just curious as to why no one on here seems to have applied to the Camberwell Fine art courses?
Reply 103
I also really liked the idea of studying at Chelsea, it has a very good reputation and the course sounds fairly independent, but I have been put off by the large numbers on their course, and also the lack of printmaking facilities and the fact that they don't have any dark rooms, has anyone else found this?
Original post by omifeeney
Hi, I haven't posted here before but I've been looking at the thread lately as the wait for goldsmiths is agonising me! BA Fine art at Goldsmiths is my first choice, and BA Drawing at Camberwell is my second. I live in London so have been able to speak to a lot of people about both courses and whilst hearing mixed reviews on the course at Goldsmiths, I've heard nothing but good things about the course at Camberwell. The independence of the course at Goldsmiths has pushed me to want to go there more, but I'm just curious as to why no one on here seems to have applied to the Camberwell Fine art courses?

I was drawn to the fine art course at Camberwell but when I went to apply to the UAL through UCAS they automatically applied me for the course at Chelsea :') but I also have Goldsmiths as my first choice.
Reply 105
Original post by AndyHoccom
I was drawn to the fine art course at Camberwell but when I went to apply to the UAL through UCAS they automatically applied me for the course at Chelsea :') but I also have Goldsmiths as my first choice.

That's what happened to me! I went to apply to CSM but they automatically applied me for Chelsea.. thought I was going mad :')
Reply 106
That's strange! Camberwell don't do a general fine art course, it's split into drawing, painting, sculpture and photography.
I think I would choose it over Chelsea, due to its facilities that Chelsea are lacking, but I was interested to see most people on this forum have applied to Chelsea and not Camberwell. I have a friend who studies at CSM and she hates it, I know everyone's different but it's really put me off
Reply 107
That's strange! Camberwell don't do a general fine art course, it's split into drawing, painting, sculpture and photography.
I think I would choose it over Chelsea, due to its facilities that Chelsea are lacking, but I was interested to see most people on this forum have applied to Chelsea and not Camberwell. I have a friend who studies at CSM and she hates it, I know everyone's different but it's really put me off

I didn't apply to Camberwell because of the lack of a general fine art course. I don't like the idea of being somewhat restricted from the outset, which is how a lot of my friends feel too. I have applied to both CSM and Chelsea, and similarly know people who are less than impressed with CSM, and have heard some things about Chelsea (that it's snobby, too restrictive etc). Honestly though, I don't think that there is a vast amount of difference between UAL courses, from what I've heard.
Reply 108
Original post by Zoeah
I didn't apply to Camberwell because of the lack of a general fine art course. I don't like the idea of being somewhat restricted from the outset, which is how a lot of my friends feel too. I have applied to both CSM and Chelsea, and similarly know people who are less than impressed with CSM, and have heard some things about Chelsea (that it's snobby, too restrictive etc). Honestly though, I don't think that there is a vast amount of difference between UAL courses, from what I've heard.

I can understand that. But after speaking from students from the course they say it's really broad and they mix a lot, so you're pretty much free to do what you want. I guess UAL unis are similar to an extent, but I've heard different things about each, it's really hard to choose!
Reply 109
Original post by fictive
Unconditional offers from both Wimbledon and Camberwell Fine Art Painting and not really knowing what to do. Love them both.

Anyone had any experience/ pearls of wisdom to offer?

I decided not to apply to Wimbledon because of its location. Which sounds a bit petty but to commit to a course for 3 years, and to be motivated to be in the studios everyday you have to want to be in the area! I don't live far from central London and Wimbledon is 15 miles from me! And I don't know much of an art scene there. Peckham is a buzzing area full of creative types and art galleries, and it's not far from central. For me , that swings it!
Reply 110
Could anyone enlighten me on what the Byam shaw campus is like for the CSM first years, I've not been up there yet and I'd like a bit of knowledge before I go up for my interview?

The wait for goldsmiths is agonising for me as well! I have been refreshing my email non stop, even though it's a weekend haha.

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear?
Reply 112
Original post by fictive
Thanks for your input. I still REALLY don't know which one to pick because they are both equidistant from me in terms of travel so that's not really a factor.

Wimbledon is a lot quieter/less buzzing I'd agree but that could be a good thing for me in terms of keeping me on the straight and narrow(!) for the next few years - I can be rather easily distracted. Wimbledon has a few notable alumni - the famous and wonderful Peter Doig is one and the guy who came up with the Snowman, but then Camberwell seems to have so so many more notable alumni (on Wiki anyway, not sure how much that's to be trusted), with quite a number of Turner Prize nominees and winners.

To be honest from the open day I did find that the Camberwell course was a little more serious/academic/thought-provoking which kind of fits in with the work I do as I'm very obsessed with meaning. But then Wimbledon has this great angle of being very involved in theatre and film and I'd like the possibility of merging my painting creativity with that. Wimbledon also seems to have a pretty cool sculpture department and a general quite chilled out get-to-know-everyone kind of atmosphere since it's so small.

Were you in the same position of having both Camberwell and Wimbly offers then?

That's ok! It may sound silly, but have you tried a pros and cons list? Sometimes it helps to see it on paper!
Also, don't get too caught up in the alumni, the turner prize is not won because someone has gone to Camberwell as opposed to Wimbledon, at the end of the day it's about that persons artwork. They are both prestigious Unis, and if you want to continue on the Fine art route, then you'll be thinking about doing an MA? And it's always your last qualification that will be considered.
So just go on what feels best for you!
And personally, I didn't apply to Wimbledon, it's location is too off putting for me, I live with my boyfriend too and he works in central london, so would not be happy to move that far out. I just applied to Goldsmiths, Camberwell and Chelsea, as they were the three I really wanted to get into!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 113
I'm currently at Reading university studying Fine art and Art history but it really isn't for me here... I wanted to apply for Goldsmiths joint honours but in all honesty I can't see myself living in London, I like a lot of fields and trees and little city's, and as a personal point of view, I've been told from my tutor here that Goldsmiths is ridiculous work load - I know every degree will be at some point but to be honest I'm going half for the degree and half for the experience. I'm not one of those people to get things done to the highest standard on time constantly!! It's like deciding between one uni and Oxford or Cambridge, only people who are stupidly dedicated will get a degree in those institutions - I'm not a keen lover of London either, amazing for visiting! But not for living, so I've applied to Oxford Brookes, not many uni's do my joint honours course, I looked at Kingston last year, but hated it, I didn't like the feel of the place so I'm hoping brookes can offer me better - They have more facilities than Reading already !!
Reply 114
Sorry for only just replying! I bloody started the thread and all ahahaha
Reply 115
Original post by fictive
Thanks for that. Yeah, probably should draw up a proper pros/ cons list but always hard to know what's going to be right when you haven't actually 'sampled' studying at both places. It is a bit of a shot in the dark at the end of the day.
And I have absoloutely no clue what I'll do as a masters. I have so many ideas, it's just hard to know exactly what.
I applied to Goldsmiths too but they still haven't got back to me. Have they got back to you?

Well MA is a while away so you don't need to worry! But I was just saying, if you plan to do an MA then it's your last/highest qualification that people focus on, so where you did your BA won't be scrutinised.
I have yet to hear from Goldsmiths :frown: I read on either their website or their email regarding online portfolio (I forget which) that I would hear back about interviews in late February, which means by the end of next week. I'm struggling with the wait! it's a saturday night and I am on here talking about Goldsmiths.... Haha
Original post by abie_lark
I'm currently at Reading university studying Fine art and Art history but it really isn't for me here... I wanted to apply for Goldsmiths joint honours but in all honesty I can't see myself living in London, I like a lot of fields and trees and little city's, and as a personal point of view, I've been told from my tutor here that Goldsmiths is ridiculous work load - I know every degree will be at some point but to be honest I'm going half for the degree and half for the experience. I'm not one of those people to get things done to the highest standard on time constantly!! It's like deciding between one uni and Oxford or Cambridge, only people who are stupidly dedicated will get a degree in those institutions - I'm not a keen lover of London either, amazing for visiting! But not for living, so I've applied to Oxford Brookes, not many uni's do my joint honours course, I looked at Kingston last year, but hated it, I didn't like the feel of the place so I'm hoping brookes can offer me better - They have more facilities than Reading already !!

The joint honours is a ridiculous work load. I remember at the open day the tutor said to consider it 80/80 instead of 50/50. It would be like doing two separate degrees. You're the first person I've seen not like Kingston. Anything specific that put you off?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 117
I've been offered places at Camberwell for Drawing, Wimbledon for Sculpture, and Falmouth for Fine Art. I revoked my applications from Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met because I know that the other three are the ones I really want to go to.

I regret so much when I applied taking the advice of a pessimistic tutor to apply to some that are "easier to get in to" (NT and MM) and wish I'd applied to Brighton and Chelsea, where I really wanted to go but thought they'd just reject me. Anyway I guess that's just life.

Now it's just choosing between the three.....Anyone else considering the same places?
Reply 118
Got an interview at the Slade, haven't heard yet from University of the Arts (Wimbledon college), are they of similar entry standard? Sorry for sounding rather ignorant, but I have a lame excuse - I'm not from the Uk :P
Original post by Mathilda5
I've been offered places at Camberwell for Drawing, Wimbledon for Sculpture, and Falmouth for Fine Art. I revoked my applications from Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met because I know that the other three are the ones I really want to go to.

I regret so much when I applied taking the advice of a pessimistic tutor to apply to some that are "easier to get in to" (NT and MM) and wish I'd applied to Brighton and Chelsea, where I really wanted to go but thought they'd just reject me. Anyway I guess that's just life.

Now it's just choosing between the three.....Anyone else considering the same places?

That's a shame. :frown: I don't think tutors should discourage students from applying to places they really want to go. Not getting in and taking a gap year isn't the end of the world. They obviously underestimated your work.

I think Camberwell and Wimbledon are as good as each other, so it really comes down to whether you want sculpture or drawing. :smile:

Original post by kasiapapi
Got an interview at the Slade, haven't heard yet from University of the Arts (Wimbledon college), are they of similar entry standard? Sorry for sounding rather ignorant, but I have a lame excuse - I'm not from the Uk :P

Slade are much harder to get into. Only 3% get offers. I don't know how many it is for Wimbledon but I think it's around 20%.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest