The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion Scots have no reason to leave the UK since they were not opressed or something similar, unlike Catalonia. This referendum will turn into a fiasco for the SNP and its supporters.
Original post by Libertatem
Attack after attack after attack after attack after attack. Can't you formulate some sort of positive reason for the union as opposed to negative reasons for independence? Every unionist is the same, like a broken jukebox. Tsk tsk.

What does that even mean? Is it negativity and bullying merely to point out that there will be negative consequences upon a YES vote? And as L I B pointed out, outlining the negative consequences of a YES vote is merely the flipside of the positive consequences of staying.

The reason cybernats respond venemously to the kinds of points I made, and whine about "negativity" and suchlike is beacuse facts such as those I've pointed out hit the SNP's case right where it hurts; the claim that Scotland becoming independent will have no negative consequences whatsoever and everything will be magic fairy dust and unicorns and rainbows in an iScotland.

It is incumbent on the Better Together camp to provide this kind of information to the Scots people, and the more the SNP whines about bullying and negativity, the more we know the degree of contempt they have for their fellow countrymen and their extraordinary sense of entitlement in believing it's some kind of outrage to reflect, even modestly, on some of the negative, real-world consequences of a YES vote.
Original post by L i b
If someone came up to me with the terrible idea of burning down my house, I wouldn't wax lyrical to them about the virtues of uncharred home ownership.

I laughed my head off at that last line :smile: Very true, and very well put if I may say.
Original post by L i b
Why on earth would we argue in that fashion, or indeed take your instruction on how to argue? If someone came up to me with the terrible idea of burning down my house, I wouldn't wax lyrical to them about the virtues of uncharred home ownership. No, I'd tell them if they did that, I'd give them a hiding and they'd end up in prison.

Either way, it's simply a linguistic trick largely. If I say we'd be better off as part of the UK, you can just as easily translate it to mean we would be poorer if the separatists got their way. Both mean the same thing, yet for some reason you seem bizarrely attached to 'positive' language.

Well, let me tell you, I will be extremely negative about Scottish nationalism, because the outcomes of it would be negative in the extreme.

PRSOM. Nicely put. I have made a note to steal the charred house illustration.
Original post by FinalMH
"Scotland depends on money from Westminster." Well for one thing this wouldn't be true.

One Part the UK runs a surplus. Just one part. The SE.

Please stop using SNP numbers . We run a deficit. A smaller deficit than most parts of the UK. But still a deficit. And that's with additional government spending per capita.
Original post by MostUncivilised
In many ways, it is. If it were to separate, the Scottish poond would be at the mercy of the international money markets, particularly if Salmond defaults on the Scottish debt as he's threatening to do.

Also, there are 30,000 civil servants in Scotland who do work that is for the entire UK. The vast majority of them would be made redundant if Scotland becomes independent.

Original post by MatureStudent36
One Part the UK runs a surplus. Just one part. The SE.

Please stop using SNP numbers . We run a deficit. A smaller deficit than most parts of the UK. But still a deficit. And that's with additional government spending per capita.

So you're saying Scotland can't afford to be? Scotland can easily raise taxes or cut spending (which the SNP are not proposing) I am just saying Scotland can afford it but they will most likely be much worst off.
Original post by FinalMH
So you're saying Scotland can't afford to be? Scotland can easily raise taxes or cut spending (which the SNP are not proposing) I am just saying Scotland can afford it but they will most likely be much worst off.

Nobody is saying Scotland cannot afford it, just that it would be better off where it is.
If Scotland can leave the UK, Aberdeenshire can leave Scotland. I'm voting for Doric independence!
http://effiedeans.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-doric-declaration-of-independence.html
Original post by FinalMH

Enough of the faux outrage.

I'm merely pointing out that the SNP figures don't match reality.
Original post by flugelr
If Scotland can leave the UK, Aberdeenshire can leave Scotland. I'm voting for Doric independence!
http://effiedeans.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-doric-declaration-of-independence.html

Excellent idea, I fully support this!

Money from up here is continually funnelled down to the Central Belt. Why should we be subsidising Glasgow and the like? A natural majority of us are Tories (rural + wealthy = Tory), why should we continually get SNP governments?
Original post by flugelr

Mrs M would love this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scotpulse has just published a poll about George Osborne's speech - which I think would be the second poll we've had, now? https://m.app.box.com/view_shared/euvpu3kpgs8ma8zsp1w2

It suggests that the core No and Yes votes are evenly split on 38%, while 3% have been convinced to vote No as a result of the speech, 5% vote Yes. 16% remain undecided.

Not sure what weighting they use - these results are unusually negative for the No camp - but it's run by STV so I'd presume it has some credibility.
Reply 6472
Original post by Smack
Money from up here is continually funnelled down to the Central Belt. Why should we be subsidising Glasgow and the like?

This is a question the SNP really need to answer. For a start, the money would be better spent in places like Aberdeen and the shire; secondly the North East gets shafted in terms of Scottish Government expenditure.

This has left Aberdeen a peculiar city of contrasts. There is both spectacular wealth and absolute deprivation, even in parts close to the city centre. Many of the wealthier inhabitants have ghettoised themselves to the west end, or moved out into the Shire.
Original post by Blue Meltwater
Scotpulse has just published a poll about George Osborne's speech - which I think would be the second poll we've had, now? https://m.app.box.com/view_shared/euvpu3kpgs8ma8zsp1w2

It suggests that the core No and Yes votes are evenly split on 38%, while 3% have been convinced to vote No as a result of the speech, 5% vote Yes. 16% remain undecided.

Not sure what weighting they use - these results are unusually negative for the No camp - but it's run by STV so I'd presume it has some credibility.

Except your link isn't showing what other polls are showing. Its not evenly split.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Except your link isn't showing what other polls are showing. Its not evenly split.
That's what I was saying - with Don't Knows included, the No vote is usually well above 40%. So I'd be interested in seeing how they came to that result.
Original post by Blue Meltwater
That's what I was saying - with Don't Knows included, the No vote is usually well above 40%. So I'd be interested in seeing how they came to that result.

Oh. Got you now.

I'm not surprised there has been an increase in the yes vote, but that'll settle down when the enormity of the lies that Salmond et al have come out with sink in.
Original post by L i b
This is a question the SNP really need to answer. For a start, the money would be better spent in places like Aberdeen and the shire; secondly the North East gets shafted in terms of Scottish Government expenditure.

This has left Aberdeen a peculiar city of contrasts. There is both spectacular wealth and absolute deprivation, even in parts close to the city centre. Many of the wealthier inhabitants have ghettoised themselves to the west end, or moved out into the Shire.

Simple-the North East is the SNP's heartland whereas Glasgow is Labour heartland. They think they can get away with spending less on their core voters and can win more votes from their biggest opponent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I, for one, am excited to see the disappointment on Salmond's face when his referendum is rejected. Imagine that- a lifetime's work, for nothing. I'll almost feel sorry for the guy.
I'm Scottish myself and I totally am against Scottish Independence. So many people on social networking sites writing status after status, changing their display picture to "YES" is completely smearing everyone with the topic and in effect I believe it is putting people off the topic. Seeing every status on your Facebook Timeline saying the exact same thing is 'rubbing off' the idea and as a result it is preventing people hearing a real variety of reasons FOR AND AGAINST, it is as if the negatives are blurred out. I do not want to hear "oh, you don't care or are for, get off this thread." No, this is my opinion and this is what countless people I have spoken to feel and I strongly hope that all this hype will be for nothing - I believe it won't succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by navarre
I, for one, am excited to see the disappointment on Salmond's face when his referendum is rejected. Imagine that- a lifetime's work, for nothing. I'll almost feel sorry for the guy.

Touché

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending