The Student Room Group

Post your unpopular opinions...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by BenH1397

ICT shouldn't be a subject at school

Why? Even a fast food chain employee needs to be able to grasp the basics of technology and computer programmes - I don't think there are any corners of the working world, and definitely not in 'successful' positions, that will not require you to have knowledge of computers. At the very least, it's word, but I've had to use excel for paid work quite heavily from the age of 15, databases for managing my own funds, finances in my society, members of my sports team and finances there too, presentations require ppt skills, - these are basic 'day-to-day' situations in which ICT is required. Without early introduction to ICT people would stumble upon entering higher education and job life. Almost all job application I've ever looked at have had a prerequisite for computer capabilities. Employers would go mad if candidates couldn't even form a table, etc...

I agree with a later post that talks on computer sciences - it would be great to have deeper aspects of tech put into the ICT curriculum. So many children - and adults! - have absolutely zero understanding of how the big machine that sits for hours and hours beneath their fingertips actually works.
Reply 901
People who hate ICT either a) dont understand it b) dont understand the need for it or c) got inappropriately touched as a small child.
I don't understand the Beyonce obsession. She doesn't even write her own songs.
Reply 903
Original post by awe
Why? Even a fast food chain employee needs to be able to grasp the basics of technology and computer programmes - I don't think there are any corners of the working world, and definitely not in 'successful' positions, that will not require you to have knowledge of computers. At the very least, it's word, but I've had to use excel for paid work quite heavily from the age of 15, databases for managing my own funds, finances in my society, members of my sports team and finances there too, presentations require ppt skills, - these are basic 'day-to-day' situations in which ICT is required. Without early introduction to ICT people would stumble upon entering higher education and job life. Almost all job application I've ever looked at have had a prerequisite for computer capabilities. Employers would go mad if candidates couldn't even form a table, etc...

I agree with a later post that talks on computer sciences - it would be great to have deeper aspects of tech put into the ICT curriculum. So many children - and adults! - have absolutely zero understanding of how the big machine that sits for hours and hours beneath their fingertips actually works.

Ok calm down god! I never said it wasn't useful but it is incredibly dull. I know how to use a computer but I don't see how there is a whole subject that is about using a computer when you use them and their various programmes in most other lessons anyway. I don't really want to argue tbh. Like the thread states it is an UNPOPULAR opinion so don't act so suprised when you see something you don't agree with.
Reply 904
Ok calm down god! I never said it wasn't useful but it is incredibly dull. I know how to use a computer but I don't see how there is a whole subject that is about using a computer when you use them and their various programmes in most other lessons anyway. I don't really want to argue tbh. Like the thread states it is an UNPOPULAR opinion so don't act so suprised when you see something you don't agree with.

:P I'm not surprised. I was wondering why - it was an unpopular opinion I can't understand - and so I asked why. Perfectly calm.
Reply 905
Original post by awe
:P I'm not surprised. I was wondering why - it was an unpopular opinion I can't understand - and so I asked why. Perfectly calm.

The massive rant would suggest otherwise. A simple why? Would be fine rather than try to prove me some kind of idiot who doesn't know how computers are used. I get that they're useful but i feel its just one of the most dullest subjects possible
Original post by chocolate buttons
I don't understand the Beyonce obsession. She doesn't even write her own songs.

She clearly has a strong voice, good performance skills, and a very creative/forward-thinking team behind her.

But crucially, she plays the whole 'girl power' angle perfectly, and she acts (I'd consider it acting) like butter wouldn't melt in her mouth (when it suits her.) She plays it perfectly, and many lap it up.

She's one of the few that no-one ever seems to 'hate'. Whereas the other females (Gaga, Rihanna, Taylor Swift...) all have people who actively can't stand them.
She's one of those celebrities we're all 'supposed' to like (but nobody quite knows why) a bit like Will Smith.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ok calm down god! I never said it wasn't useful but it is incredibly dull. I know how to use a computer but I don't see how there is a whole subject that is about using a computer when you use them and their various programmes in most other lessons anyway What you know about computers and their programmes barely scratches the surface, I guarantee it. I don't really want to argue tbh. Like the thread states it is an UNPOPULAR opinion so don't act so suprised when you see something you don't agree with And don't act surprised when questioned on it.

Just to clarify...because you think it dull your opinion is that ICT should not be a subject in school? Many people find art and music dull subjects and not particularly useful but I doubt from your first thread you'd be okay with them getting rid of those subject. And to make it clear I don't think art of music should be cut from the curriculum, though I may dislike the subjects I see how they can be useful for some student and therefore don't think my opinion should impact on the education of others.

Also if you didn't want any replies or to be asked questions about your opinions then you clearly didn't think it through before posting in the first place. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 908
White people have a tendency to overlook racism not because they are racist (well some are) but cause they don't have to face it in everday life.

Also some black people are more racist to their own kind then other cultures ever have been.
Reply 909
Black people are often inconsiderate I.E loud music at inappropriate hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Joss Whedon is painfully overrated.
Reply 911
Harry Potter, Sherlock and Doctor Who after season 5 are all pretty lame. HP is bearable, but the others ergh.

If I said this on tumblr I'd be killed.
Reply 912
The world would be a better place if over 30% of its population were homosexual

Friends, The Big Bang Theory, 2 and a Half Men etc etc are all garbage

Having said that, not all American TV is bad

Sub-cultures that aren't harmful should never be vilified - I hate Heavy Metal but enjoy knowing other people enjoy it, it'd be nice if people had the same respect for Drag Queens, or Cosplayers or whatever

Racism, Misogyny, Homophobia and other forms of discrimination ARE problems in OUR society still... this concept apparently eludes the majority of this forum it would seem

Slightly hypocritical perhaps but the core values and institutions of most religions will inevitably breed violence and hatred. It may be practised well by most, but telling me the Abrahamic religions are peaceful is never going to wash.

Most people are boring and close-minded, it is still far too easy in 2014 to shock someone
Harry Potter is completely overrated. I don't understand the need for there to be 172848384 tumblr blogs dedicated to the colour of Hermoine Granger's wand, or fanships!

Posted from TSR Mobile
People who have more than two children are selfish and don't understand the world around them.
Original post by Jebedee
Black people are often inconsiderate I.E loud music at inappropriate hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

These stereotypes annoy the absolute HELL out of me. Don't define a race by a small number of people. I'm not particularly loud and I'm not ghetto at all, and I'm still black. I play music with headphones on because I'm a relatively considerate person. There are white/Asian/Arab people who could for that description too >>

Original post by jsuccess

Also some black people are more racist to their own kind then other cultures ever have been.

I agree. Being a lighter tone of brown apparently makes you more attractive, a nicer person and all. Wearing weaves has a stigma of self-hatred attached to it, often given by those who wear their hair out naturally. It's incredulous how we need to look down on our own people for self assurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 916
Original post by AnnekaChan173
These stereotypes annoy the absolute HELL out of me. Don't define a race by a small number of people. I'm not particularly loud and I'm not ghetto at all, and I'm still black. I play music with headphones on because I'm a relatively considerate person. There are white/Asian/Arab people who could for that description too >>

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't argue with experience, I've lived with near a hundred people in my time. Most being white and probably about five being black. All five owned bass speakers individually and would lie or get offended if I asked them to keep it down.
Original post by Jebedee
Can't argue with experience, I've lived with near a hundred people in my time. Most being white and probably about five being black. All five owned bass speakers individually and would lie or get offended if I asked them to keep it down.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, you can't generalise or define a race if 1000 people from that race acted that way, let alone generalising and defining black people by 5 individuals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nelson Mandela was: a terrible leader, hypocrite and murderer. He should not be idolised at all.
Reply 919
Original post by physicsbook
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, you can't generalise of define a race if 1000 people from that race acted that way, let alone generalising and defining black people by 5 individuals.

With that attitude there would be no known trends in the modern world at all. Ever heard of random sampling?

Quick Reply