The Student Room Group

Recommend me a popular science book

I'm a relative newbie to popular sceince books, but I've recently read: The Selfish Gene, One Two Three Infinity, and The Elegant Universe, and I'd very much appreciate some suggestions for what I should read next. I'm interesting in all aspects of the sciences, but since I've read some stuff on Physics and Biology, but not Chemistry or Maths yet, I'd be particularly interested in books on those subjects. Thanks.
Original post by joseon
I'm a relative newbie to popular sceince books, but I've recently read: The Selfish Gene, One Two Three Infinity, and The Elegant Universe, and I'd very much appreciate some suggestions for what I should read next. I'm interesting in all aspects of the sciences, but since I've read some stuff on Physics and Biology, but not Chemistry or Maths yet, I'd be particularly interested in books on those subjects. Thanks.

Like yourself I am also newbie, here's a list of books I hope to read:
My brief history - Stephen Hawking
The grand design - Stephen Hawking
Guns, Germs and Steel: the facts of human society - jared diamond
The selfish gene - Richard Dawkins
The universe in a nutshell - Stephen hawking
The making of the atomic bomb - richard rhodes
The feynmen letters on Physics - Richard P. Feynmen
Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I really enjoyed Quirkology by Richard Wiseman, it's about the psychology of everyday life
If you like ones more psychology-based, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat and a number of other books by Oliver Sachs may be worth a look :smile:
James Watson's DNA and The Double Helix are good books on genetics and would be good companion books to The Selfish Gene. Although some of the content will be inaccurate now.
Reply 5
Just Six Numbers by Martin Rees is really good.
Reply 6
Original post by Procrastinator13

Guns, Germs and Steel: the facts of human society - jared diamond
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's an excellent read. His Collapse is also good.

Psychology
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahnemann. He won the Nobel prize you know!
How The MInd Works and The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker.

Maths
Does God Play Dice by Ian Stewart.
The Code Book by Simon Singh.

Biology
The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins - the king of popular science books.
Most essays by Stephen Jay Gould. He is a great writer, although he has some eccentric views on biology.

Economics
The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending