The Student Room Group

Personal Statement- Psychology

I'll be writing my personal statement at the end of this academic year and I was just wondering how to enhance it.

Any ideas for relevant work experience? Wider reading? Anything really,

Thank you in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wider reading is better. Work experience isn't necessary for an academic course and it's virtually impossible to get experience with a psychologist anyway
Original post by *Interrobang*
Wider reading is better. Work experience isn't necessary for an academic course and it's virtually impossible to get experience with a psychologist anyway

^ pretty much this ! it's really difficult to get work experience under the age of 18, mostly due to confidentiality issues so just focus on maybe some psychologists that you are inspired by and try to be original in your statement. Make it personalized so that the reader understands why you want to study psychology, and anything that got you interested in the first place
:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by smileyx123x
^ pretty much this ! it's really difficult to get work experience under the age of 18, mostly due to confidentiality issues so just focus on maybe some psychologists that you are inspired by and try to be original in your statement. Make it personalized so that the reader understands why you want to study psychology, and anything that got you interested in the first place
:smile:

Any ideas on any good books/articles for wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by IAmEchelon
Any ideas on any good books/articles for wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could sign up to the BPS research digest online, they're really interesting articles. The man who mistook his wife for a hat is an amazing book and I'd recommend reading that. Just look at university reading lists and pick books from there.
Agree with all of the above. Also, see if you can attend any workshops or lectures run at universities (that are related to psychology), that's what a lot of my friends did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pip1309
You could sign up to the BPS research digest online, they're really interesting articles. The man who mistook his wife for a hat is an amazing book and I'd recommend reading that. Just look at university reading lists and pick books from there.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat is interesting, but is very common for people to mention in PSs. It's best to aim for something more unique. See if your college (or a teacher) subscribes to The Psychologist, or see what books are mentioned as key texts in first year for a uni you're interested in (one you think you would be interested in reading anyway). TED talks is another good option

Quick Reply

Latest