The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Anyone hear from UCL? I am counting on today!!! I am truly desperate. I really want UCL :frown:
Reply 3101
Original post by SUNNYOX
Anyone hear from UCL? I am counting on today!!! I am truly desperate. I really want UCL :frown:

How long youbeen waiting?
Reply 3102
Original post by Szmessh
How long youbeen waiting?

Over 4 months. Sent on 10 Oct
Reply 3103
Original post by SUNNYOX
Over 4 months. Sent on 10 Oct

Same here bro, hope they will get back to us by the end of next week at latest or im gonna lose it

my friend applied on 14th Jan for Comp Sci, got an offer three days ago..
Original post by RebelV005
The admin lady picked up and without giving too much away she said, everyone will have a decision by deadline of 31st March but the school will be givng out a lot of replies within two weeks.

Where else do you have offers from?

Ok, so we should know soon.... I'm very dubious about UCL now, I'm terrified!

I have Leeds, Birmingham (Unconditional if firm), York and Queen Mary's

Think I'll go to Queen Mary's if UCL don't give me an offer
Original post by ellenabethx
Ok, so we should know soon.... I'm very dubious about UCL now, I'm terrified!

I have Leeds, Birmingham (Unconditional if firm), York and Queen Mary's

Think I'll go to Queen Mary's if UCL don't give me an offer

likewise :frown: ( about UCL )

im starting to think that if ive not been given an offer by now, its probably going to be a rejection, few of my mates who applied to UCL for Economics and Economics and Statistics have got open day invitations already :frown:
Got an offer from UCL-A*AA on 20th FEB
Original post by kartikmehta2496
Got an offer from UCL-A*AA on 20th FEB

Congratulations!!! When did you send your applications?
Anybody get into a top 5 uni w/o FM? I'm only doing maths and may need to do AS FM in my A2 year, will that be okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Anybody get into a top 5 uni w/o FM? I'm only doing maths and may need to do AS FM in my A2 year, will that be okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loads of people get in with only AS FM in the A2 year. Quite a few still get in even without AS further maths so you'll be fine as long as everything else in your application is good :smile:
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think up to AS is fine. lots of people have got in without it.
Original post by Bloxorus
Loads of people get in with only AS FM in the A2 year. Quite a few still get in even without AS further maths so you'll be fine as long as everything else in your application is good :smile:

I currently study maths, physics, econ and english. I am in my AS year and want to do econ at a top 5.

I am definitely dropping english after AS. Then I was thinking about doing AS modules in it's place - obviously I would have already done the C1 and C2 exams by this time. I don't want to and physically can't do A2 FM in 1 year. Will AS FM suffice?

I will be applying on the promise of doing this, how could I tell universities that I will do AS FM in year 13 when i apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
I currently study maths, physics, econ and english. I am in my AS year and want to do econ at a top 5.

I am definitely dropping english after AS. Then I was thinking about doing AS modules in it's place - obviously I would have already done the C1 and C2 exams by this time. I don't want to and physically can't do A2 FM in 1 year. Will AS FM suffice?

I will be applying on the promise of doing this, how could I tell universities that I will do AS FM in year 13 when i apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes that will be absolutely fine.

When you apply, you have to put all the qualifications you'll have by the end of year 13 so you'll put AS FM down and then they can see you'll be doing it alongside your other A2s.
Yes that will be absolutely fine.

When you apply, you have to put all the qualifications you'll have by the end of year 13 so you'll put AS FM down and then they can see you'll be doing it alongside your other A2s.

And this will not hinder my application or set me at a disadvantage at all? (With all other things being equal)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Razina17
Congratulations!!! When did you send your applications?

I sent it on 1st Jan.Quite late :tongue:
Original post by EHZ17
And this will not hinder my application or set me at a disadvantage at all? (With all other things being equal)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It may slightly disadvantage you but nothing to be very worried about. As I said, plenty of people get in to the top 5 without it at all, and many people will have just taken it to AS like what you're planning to do.
Original post by kartikmehta2496
I sent it on 1st Jan.Quite late :tongue:

I sent mine on 15th November and I haven't heard anything back from them. Are you an international student?
(edited 10 years ago)
It may slightly disadvantage you but nothing to be very worried about. As I said, plenty of people get in to the top 5 without it at all, and many people will have just taken it to AS like what you're planning to do.

Hope you don't mind me asking, is that backed up with evidence? Have you met a lot of people at UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Cambridge w/o FM?

If I do AS FM next year, i will have 5ASs and 3A2s, i don't want to be disadvantages by this! Ahhh, regrets.

I guess my english AS will help with the essay writing aspect, maybe unis will like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
Hope you don't mind me asking, is that backed up with evidence? Have you met a lot of people at UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Cambridge w/o FM?

If I do AS FM next year, i will have 5ASs and 3A2s, i don't want to be disadvantages by this! Ahhh, regrets.

I guess my english AS will help with the essay writing aspect, maybe unis will like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw some statistics posted by Cambridge about FM, I can't find them now but it said that only around 30% of people who got an offer had A2 FM, around another 30% had AS FM only and the rest had neither. Don't quote me on those figures, that's coming purely from memory of what I saw a few months ago.
I saw some statistics posted by Cambridge about FM, I can't find them now but it said that only around 30% of people who got an offer had A2 FM, around another 30% had AS FM only and the rest had neither. Don't quote me on those figures, that's coming purely from memory of what I saw a few months ago.

40% who didn't have FM? I remember seeing it and it was around 10%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending