The Student Room Group

The only people who say that you don't have to speak English in England are...

Either/and

1) Have parents who do not speak English, hence the natural, but wholly inadequate justification for defending such a bad trait.

2) Can't speak English properly themselves, and resort to gangsta innit wot bruv yh sik fam kind of dialect to make up for their inability to reason

3) Are sponging off the state, and live in an insular community where speaking English is the exception, not the norm.

Discuss.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you live in England you SHOULD speak English.
At home with your family friends and relatives that's different speak any language you want... But outside business wise, school and ect ect you should speak English.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
None of those things apply to me, but I don't think everyone has to speak English in England if it's not their first language.

Why do people get so offended by words? Bloody hell
I don't understand why they'd be living here and then say you don't have to speak english. Utterly pointless.
I think if you live here you should be able to speak English but you don't have to speak it all the time :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MidnightDream
I think if you live here you should be able to speak English but you don't have to speak it all the time :smile:

I agree.

I wasn't pressing for a case which would lead to an exclusion of all other languages.
I agree, I think. Although I hope you aren't going to use this as a basis for arguing to not have to learn a foreign language in school.
Original post by tehforum
I agree.

I wasn't pressing for a case which would lead to an exclusion of all other languages.

Okay :smile: haha I guess I misinterpreted :smile:
Well neither of these apply to me and I don't think you have to speak english in england. Why, because other people choice of language has absolutely no negative impact on my life, so why should I give a ****. Don't like that someone doesn't speak english? then don't talk to them!
Original post by notthegreatest
If you live in England you SHOULD speak English.
At home with your family friends and relatives that's different speak any language you want... But outside business wise, school and ect ect you should speak English.

Why?
Personally I think it's quite offensive if you even visit somewhere and can't speak enough of the native language to get by. I feel awful going to another country on holiday and ending up making them speak English because they can't understand me trying to speak their language!

Living somewhere and not being able to speak that language is even worse!
If you live in England, you should speak English. I'm not expecting Queens English, but you should at least be proficient enough to communicate
They don't have to learn it if they don't want to. My nan lived in the UK for about 40 years and never learned more than a few phrases.

To be honest, how many British people living in Spain and Bulgaria speak the local language to any degree of fluency?
You can speak American.
Reply 14
Original post by Autistic Merit
They don't have to learn it if they don't want to. My nan lived in the UK for about 40 years and never learned more than a few phrases.

To be honest, how many British people living in Spain and Bulgaria speak the local language to any degree of fluency?

Another qualification.

I'm not expecting perfect English. I expect a degree of proficiency which would enable one to hold a normal conversation.
Reply 15
Original post by clh_hilary
You can speak American.

American English is wrong.
Another qualification.

I'm not expecting perfect English. I expect a degree of proficiency which would enable one to hold a normal conversation.

One of the only times I will agree with you
It's a free country and people can speak whatever language they want. Ultimately if somebody can't speak English it's going to be a far bigger inconvenience for them than it is for me.
Reply 18
Original post by Captain Haddock
It's a free country and people can speak whatever language they want. Ultimately if somebody can't speak English it's going to be a far bigger inconvenience for them than it is for me.

Read the thread.
American English is wrong.

But British people understand it. So you can speak American.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending