The Student Room Group

should the man be the head of the house?

Scroll to see replies

Nope. Just because you were born a man does not mean you have power/more rights over a woman. The man and the woman should have an equal input in decisions. If for whatever reason a decision can't be made, they should discuss it until one of them compromises - and that shouldn't have to be the woman simply because she is a woman.
Side note: why does TSR always seem to have these types of questions? It's not the 1950s. If you put changed questions like this on TSR where the man is deemed to be better/more intelligent/ the one to hold more power into race questions people wouldn't have to think twice about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
The owner of the house gets to be head of it imo so if it's equally owned, the task is shared
Original post by Red one
There's nothing wrong with being a bit old fashioned and quaint. I actually think that society is too concerned with moving forward and progressive that it's diminishing our morals, beliefs and mores.

One moment. I just want to shed a bit more light on that hypocrisy in case it wasn't already blatantly obvious.

You said that going against tradition is diminishing our morals. Tradition is the force that tried to keep in slavery, racism, forced religion, nationalism, imperialism, legal rape, feudalism, authoritarianism, autocracy, anti-science, mysticism... practically every single thing that is bad about our history. If you're going to argue for tradition, don't you dare use the argument that it's moral.

For heaven's sake, think about what you're saying. There's a lot more to tradition than quaint little cottages and church bells in the morning.
Reply 23
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, we don't live in the 14th century anymore.

don't you mean 20th?
Original post by matt_g96
don't you mean 20th?

No, I was using a distant time to emphasise the absurdness.
Reply 25
Original post by Red one
I agree with you that both partners should make some decisions. The Male makes decisions like moving countries, getting a new job, buying a car/house. And the female gets to make decisions about what the family will eat for dinner or what schools the children go to etc.

I'm all for equality in the household. :smile:

Wow, surely massive things like moving country should be made mutually or not at all? Of course a man should have the final say on his own job, just like a woman should have a say on hers. The eating dinner thing is probably the most cliche thing you could have found. Mutual agreement on schools assuming equal knowledge is probably a good thing too.
Reply 26
Original post by Chlorophile
One moment. I just want to shed a bit more light on that hypocrisy in case it wasn't already blatantly obvious.

You said that going against tradition is diminishing our morals. Tradition is the force that tried to keep in slavery, racism, forced religion, nationalism, imperialism, legal rape, feudalism, authoritarianism, autocracy, anti-science, mysticism... practically every single thing that is bad about our history. If you're going to argue for tradition, don't you dare use the argument that it's moral.

For heaven's sake, think about what you're saying. There's a lot more to tradition than quaint little cottages and church bells in the morning.

Not all traditions are good and in the same way not every tradition is bad either.
The customs, culture and traditions of the people of a country are representative of the history, faith, language and environment of that country. A tradition is a belief or behavior passed down within a group or society with symbolic meaning or special significance with origins in the past. It is very important for every nation.

Original post by Red one
Not all traditions are good and in the same way not every tradition is bad either.
The customs, culture and traditions of the people of a country are representative of the history, faith, language and environment of that country. A tradition is a belief or behavior passed down within a group or society with symbolic meaning or special significance with origins in the past. It is very important for every nation.

Give me one piece of evidence that removing traditions has had a negative impact on the lives of people. One piece of empirical evidence.

Loving this post.
Okay, this has kind of turned from answering the original question, to gender roles, to arguments about tradition and how it has benefited/been to the detriment of others.

Erm, to answer the OP's question, I personally think that people in a household should be equal and share responsibilities. However, if a woman doesn't mind the man being in charge then, well, that's fine by me.
Reply 30
As a man- no.

Here's why.

There as an area in rural Sardenga, the Italian island in the Med which is a UN classified Blue Zone. Blue Zones are geographic areas where the population have a significantly longer average life span than might be expected.

The Sardinian Blue Zone is particularly interesting as there is a very high rate of male centurians and the life span disparity between men and women is much less than the rest of the developed world.

Now what has al this got to do with the man being the head of the household? Well...

Sardinan shepards are MEN. They work hard and spend most of their days farming, chasing sheep (not in a Welsh way) and being up to their oxters in animal carcasses which all contributes to a healthy lifestyle. However Sardinian women are a fairly formidable bunch as well and traditionally will be responsible for the family finances- thus taking a huge burden that would otherwise be solely on the man, decreasing stress and anxiety levels.

So, in short... women taking more responsibility with family matters = happier, healthier men.
Original post by Katie_p
Decisions should be made together and where no compromise is possible, the person most affected by the decision should make it.

Agreed. :smile:

Im old fashioned and wouldn't mind going to work and my wife/girlfriend staying at home and taking care of things but I wouldn't mind if things were different either.
Reply 32
Give me one piece of evidence that removing traditions has had a negative impact on the lives of people. One piece of empirical evidence.

Increase in underage pregnancies, single mothers and divorce rate since 50 years ago. All of these are by-products of the progressive society you seem to be shoving down my throat.

:rolleyes:
women should be giving head in the house
Original post by DK_Tipp
As a man- no.

Here's why.

There as an area in rural Sardenga, the Italian island in the Med which is a UN classified Blue Zone. Blue Zones are geographic areas where the population have a significantly longer average life span than might be expected.

The Sardinian Blue Zone is particularly interesting as there is a very high rate of male centurians and the life span disparity between men and women is much less than the rest of the developed world.

Now what has al this got to do with the man being the head of the household? Well...

Sardinan shepards are MEN. They work hard and spend most of their days farming, chasing sheep (not in a Welsh way) and being up to their oxters in animal carcasses which all contributes to a healthy lifestyle. However Sardinian women are a fairly formidable bunch as well and traditionally will be responsible for the family finances- thus taking a huge burden that would otherwise be solely on the man, decreasing stress and anxiety levels.

So, in short... women taking more responsibility with family matters = happier, healthier men.

I can see where you're coming from here but I think some people on TSR would view this as adhering to gender roles and therefore misogynistic.

IMO, setting roles and responsiblilties in a household is a good thing, whether or not they are traditional "gender roles" e.g. man = breadwinner, woman = homemaker. It means that there is a system in place to ensure that everyone contributes, which sounds like equality to me.
Reply 35
Original post by Red one
Increase in underage pregnancies, single mothers and divorce rate since 50 years ago. All of these are by-products of the progressive society you seem to be shoving down my throat.

So the fact that people aren't forced to stay in abusive marriages by society anymore is a bad thing?
Reply 36
You got that Pater Familias, bruv.:borat:
Reply 37
Original post by Red one
There's nothing wrong with being a bit old fashioned and quaint. I actually think that society is too concerned with moving forward and progressive that it's diminishing our morals, beliefs and mores.

Employing a hyperbole is a logical fallacy.

It's only 'quaint' when you're not the one having important decisions made for you by someone else. Moving country affects the woman. Buying a house affects the woman. Choosing the school the children go to does not affect the man. If the woman is cooking, choosing what to eat for dinner does not affect the man (he can just find something else if he doesn't like what was cooked, before you try to suggest it does affect him).

I think it's smart to let couples make decisions specific to their roles.

OK, so if the woman is the main breadwinner, you're saying she can make decisions on buying a new house and car and moving countries for jobs and so on?
Original post by Red one

Would rep but I'm out, sorry!
Original post by Red one

Oh, and the alternative is better? You want to go back to an age where women were the property of their husbands and had no control over their lives? Where arranged marriage were the norm? Where wife-battering and marital-rape were legal? When all marriage was done by the Church and the Church alone? Where love was defined by old men in the Vatican or the Church of England?

Quick Reply

Latest