The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EHZ17
Hope you don't mind me asking, is that backed up with evidence? Have you met a lot of people at UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Cambridge w/o FM?

If I do AS FM next year, i will have 5ASs and 3A2s, i don't want to be disadvantages by this! Ahhh, regrets.

I guess my english AS will help with the essay writing aspect, maybe unis will like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Bloxorus
I saw some statistics posted by Cambridge about FM, I can't find them now but it said that only around 30% of people who got an offer had A2 FM, around another 30% had AS FM only and the rest had neither. Don't quote me on those figures, that's coming purely from memory of what I saw a few months ago.

Original post by Dilzo999
40% who didn't have FM? I remember seeing it and it was around 10%.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/181844/response/450093/attach/2/FOI%202013%20334%20SAM%20response%20letter.pdf

Interesting. :biggrin: I'm surprised that there are more (in %) successful applicants with no FM at all than FM at AS.
How did you find it?
Original post by purplemind
Interesting. :biggrin: I'm surprised that there are more (in %) successful applicants with no FM at all than FM at AS.
How did you find it?

Some schools don't offer it and I'm not sure if it includes other qualifications which don't have FM.
I'm Sam, I sent the request :wink:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Some schools don't offer it and I'm not sure if it includes other qualifications which don't have FM.
I'm Sam, I sent the request :wink:

Oh, I wrongly assumed all schools offer it but I guess that's true. :tongue:
You're a liar. You're not Sam. And if you are Sam, you're a still a liar because it would be a fake name.
Original post by purplemind
Oh, I wrongly assumed all schools offer it but I guess that's true. :tongue:
You're a liar. You're not Sam. And if you are Sam, you're a still a liar because it would be a fake name.

Then I guess I've been using a fake name all along then :sly:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by EHZ17
Hope you don't mind me asking, is that backed up with evidence? Have you met a lot of people at UCL, LSE, Warwick, Durham, Cambridge w/o FM?

If I do AS FM next year, i will have 5ASs and 3A2s, i don't want to be disadvantages by this! Ahhh, regrets.

I guess my english AS will help with the essay writing aspect, maybe unis will like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did AS chem, bio, econ and maths in year 12. This year i dropped bio and picked up AS FM. Not having A2 FM wont hinder you too much, i am saying this because i got an offer from Cambridge to study economics without A2 FM. However it does depend on your maths UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3127
Original post by kiirankapoor
I did AS chem, bio, econ and maths in year 12. This year i dropped bio and picked up AS FM. Not having A2 FM wont hinder you too much, i am saying this because i got an offer from Cambridge to study economics without A2 FM. However it does depend on your maths UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

@OP If your UMS is poor you simply won't get an interview, FM or no FM, so focus on that instead of worrying over minor things.
Original post by EHZ17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got offers from UCL and Warwick without FM and whilst a few at the UCL open day required to get an offer, did do FM, plenty did not. Granted Cambridge and LSE do have a strong preference for it but it's not necessarily the be all and end all for all the top unis.
Original post by Chloe_P
This.

@OP If your UMS is poor you simply won't get an interview, FM or no FM, so focus on that instead of worrying over minor things.

I am confident I can get near 100% for C1 as long as I check for stupid mistakes, C2 is a bit harder, just started it but I think I can do well. Would I need 95%+ or would 92%+ suffice? And is that in everything or just maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Libertine96
I've got offers from UCL and Warwick without FM and whilst a few at the UCL open day required to get an offer, did do FM, plenty did not. Granted Cambridge and LSE do have a strong preference for it but it's not necessarily the be all and end all for all the top unis.

Is there something you did or achieve that deviates from the norm? E.g 5-6AS levels and 4A2s or did you just do really well in your 4ASs and 3A2s? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
I am confident I can get near 100% for C1 as long as I check for stupid mistakes, C2 is a bit harder, just started it but I think I can do well. Would I need 95%+ or would 92%+ suffice? And is that in everything or just maths?

Everyone's maths scores will be converging to 100. So a 95%+ average in maths I would say is a must.
Original post by EHZ17
Is there something you did or achieve that deviates from the norm? E.g 5-6AS levels and 4A2s or did you just do really well in your 4ASs and 3A2s? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just did well in the 4ASs and got predicted A*A*A though obviously most applicants would have been in the same situation as me so nothing overly special. In fact, a lot of people at the UCL open day were carrying on with 4A2s whereas I'm only doing 3. Everyone said how good my PS was, showed a great deal of knowledge and desire for the subject but I didn't think that would be enough when nothing else I could offer was overly special.

It all depends whether you really want Cambridge or LSE, if you do then pick up FM because it gives you a much better chance, if not then you really don't need to but it's always useful
Original post by Razina17
I sent mine on 15th November and I haven't heard anything back from them. Are you an international student?

Yes!Which other offers do you have? I havent heard from warwick yet!
Original post by kartikmehta2496
Yes!Which other offers do you have? I havent heard from warwick yet!

I've got 4/5 and they are queen Mary, city, soas and Brunel. what about you?
Original post by Razina17
I've got 4/5 and they are queen Mary, city, soas and Brunel. what about you?

Got Bristol,Exeter,UCL.Waiting for Warwick and Bath!
Original post by EHZ17
Anybody get into a top 5 uni w/o FM? I'm only doing maths and may need to do AS FM in my A2 year, will that be okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also have got offers from UCL, Warwick & Durham with no FM.
I just got the UCL open day invitation for straight economics!!!

Finally I've got my firm choice sorted :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3138
Original post by Bloxorus
I just got the UCL open day invitation for straight economics!!!

Finally I've got my firm choice sorted :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

when did you send your app bro
Original post by Yllasjarvi
I also have got offers from UCL, Warwick & Durham with no FM.

May I ask what you got in terms of UMS at AS and what you were predicted for A2?

...also GCSE grades if you are willing? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending