The Student Room Group

What do you wear to a PhD interview?

So I have my first PhD interview this week at Liverpool for an Earth Science (Geology) PhD and I’m just wondering what exactly do you wear (for a man)?

Is it good to go in suited and booted, (so a full blown suit, jacket and tie etc) or should it be more smart casual with smart trousers and a jacket?

I think the interview will be in front of a panel as it’s got competitive funding as part of a doctoral training program (DTP), so it’s one project of many which is competing for funding. In the morning I’m meeting the potential supervisor for a discussion about the project and a tour around the facilities.

If anyone could give any tips on their experiences with interviews it would be hugely appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Suited and booted, you're not going on a site visit.
Reply 2
Original post by ZakV
Suited and booted, you're not going on a site visit.

Is that from experience? I'm getting a lot of mixed advice from friends and family and I'm worried about being "overdressed" if I go in a suit.
Reply 3
Original post by Woodytky
Is that from experience? I'm getting a lot of mixed advice from friends and family and I'm worried about being "overdressed" if I go in a suit.

Definitely a suit, everyone I know with a PhD said the same to me (well I'm a girl so went black smart dress but my guy friends all worse suits.
I'd wear black or white tie but then I always dress formally.
Reply 5
Original post by Woodytky

A suit on a man is not 'overdressed' for any event that requires smart attire. Even if it were to be, I honestly don't think that's inherently bad for a man - 'overdressed' would simply be even smarter, which can't go wrong! Whereas a woman being 'overdressed' becomes a little more inappropriate, i.e more like 'wedding' attire or something.

Go for the suit, there is no big risk in doing so as long as it's a well tailored and clean one. P: Good luck.

Reply 6
You'd rather be overdressed than underdressed.
Reply 7
A suit for sure. And for PhD I'd recommend to wear a pair of spectacles too :tongue:
Mankini
Oh stoppit, I'm off for interview NOW and this thread is just confusing me :redface:

I've got a long drive, it's raining, I have to drop the car off at a park & ride….. no way am I wearing executive dress and high heels. I wish I was a man and could just wear a suit, it's much simpler!

Good luck to anyone else with interviews this week, it's about who you are and what you know rather than what you wear.

(except the mankini….. don't wear the mankini…….)

(oh - and - smart but comfy plain black comfy black dress, thick black tights, wedge ankle boots - that'll do)
Reply 10
My lad doesn't even own a suit. He went in jeans with a shirt and tie. And he got offers too!
Reply 11
Quite honestly, I'm a girl and have turned out to all my interviews in jeans (normal jeans, not ripped, not overly formal) and a top that I felt comfortable in (usually a cardigan) and gotten offers. I think (especially for sciences) it's not that big of a deal... If you were going for a MBA or something along those lines, then I would say suit, but seriously, in science they are going to be more interested in what you have to say than in how you present yourself, unless you look completely terrible. I'd say smart trousers and a plain white shirt (maybe with a tie) will be fine.
Reply 12
Original post by Puck_1991
Quite honestly, I'm a girl and have turned out to all my interviews in jeans (normal jeans, not ripped, not overly formal) and a top that I felt comfortable in (usually a cardigan) and gotten offers. I think (especially for sciences) it's not that big of a deal... If you were going for a MBA or something along those lines, then I would say suit, but seriously, in science they are going to be more interested in what you have to say than in how you present yourself, unless you look completely terrible. I'd say smart trousers and a plain white shirt (maybe with a tie) will be fine.

+1

I am a also a science student and I can tell that "smart dress" is what undergrads, masters, PhD students, lecturers (etc), usually wear. Therefore they don't expect you to be extremelly well-dressed. For guidance, you should check how your own lecturers are dressed and try to be in this range.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending