The Student Room Group

should the man be the head of the house?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by 2ndClass
I really didn't bother to read through that tbh, as I said you're just looking for an argument, but you have your opinions, stick to them :yy:

I would respect you more if you conceded defeat graciously rather than pretending you just choose not to discuss the issue anymore.
Reply 181
Original post by Ronove
I would respect you more if you conceded defeat graciously rather than pretending you just choose not to discuss the issue anymore.

I don't concede defeat, if I knew my points were baseless why bother starting the argument in the first place and waste my time? I'm very pragmatic like that. I just know you're just looking to argue just to argue like I said. All my points are backed up by facts and you're delving into semantics and other superficial nonsense, I mean, just browsing your post now, you suggest that the first article I posted related solely to offspring survival and the point about them having extra martial affairs suggesting their greater sexual capacity and attraction by other women, but you just take that to mean "dey only cheats alots"

Even your counter study supports what I say.....

The effects of dominance were variable and
more complex. Women displayed preferences
for high dominance only within the context of
male–male competitions. This is consistent
with the idea that women’s preferences for
dominance reflect a desire for romantic part-
ners who are able to protect them from male
conspecifics or that are able to dominate other
men in physically competitive contexts more
generally

You see what I mean now?

I really don't have the patience or energy to back/forth like this. As I said, go debate with trolls who may actually not know what they're talking about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shadowdweller
Each to their own then.

You've really never heard this view?
Original post by So Instinct
You've really never heard this view?

Not really :dontknow:
Not really :dontknow:

Hmm, quick google search of "what traits women find attractive", a lot of places mention traits like assertive, ability to take lead etc. Ofc this isn't what I'm basing the opinion on, just something quick.
Hmm, quick google search of "what traits women find attractive", a lot of places mention traits like assertive, ability to take lead etc. Ofc this isn't what I'm basing the opinion on, just something quick.

Fair enough then. I suppose I can see where they're coming from.
Reply 186
Fair enough then. I suppose I can see where they're coming from.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary? because even Ronove's study contradicted what she said in the end :confused:
Original post by thecrediblehulk
that will be the man the vast majority of the time.

Yes I know, and?
Do you have any evidence to the contrary? because even Ronove study contradicted what she said in the end

I'm not saying the contrary is true, I was just questioning the point.
Original post by Ronove

I don't think that's necessarily true. Whoever earns the most contributes the most to the financial security of the couple. That is it. They don't contribute 'worth' to the relationship.

'worth' doesn't put food on the table.
Reply 190
I'm not saying the contrary is true, I was just questioning the point.

So neither of you have any argument? so m'dear how did she win the argument exactly? :sly:
So neither of you have any argument? so m'dear how did she win the argument exactly? :sly:

I never claimed to have an argument, like I say I was just questioning the point So Instinct made.

Generally I think when people say 'I didn't even bother to read that' or anything to that effect, they're certainly not winning the argument.
No. Why should anyone person in a marriage exert their authority over their equal. Unless you are sexist, there is no way you can find the man being given the power reasonable. That sort of thinking is horrific.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
I never claimed to have an argument, like I say I was just questioning the point So Instinct made.

Generally I think when people say 'I didn't even bother to read that' or anything to that effect, they're certainly not winning the argument.

Ah fair enough, but when I went back and read it, it just reinforced everything I've said. I mean what more do I need to prove when someone's own counter study discounts what they say?

I don't understand why the either of you think I'm superimposing this view on women, this is something most women prefer. If they didn't prefer surely I would agree with the contrary which would in turn increase my chances of success with women?
Reply 194
I don't concede defeat, if I knew my points were baseless why bother starting the argument in the first place and waste my time? I'm very pragmatic like that. I just know you're just looking to argue just to argue like I said. All my points are backed up by facts and you're delving into semantics and other superficial nonsense, I mean, just browsing your post now, you suggest that the first article I posted related solely to offspring survival and the point about them having extra martial affairs suggesting their greater sexual capacity and attraction by other women, but you just take that to mean "dey only cheats alots"

Even your counter study supports what I say.....

You see what I mean now?

I really don't have the patience or energy to back/forth like this. As I said, go debate with trolls who may actually not know what they're talking about.

You pick one sentence which you think supports your point and ignore the entire article which goes against it? Good ****ing job. You win at interpreting articles. If you're just going to take the absolute piss, feel free not to post.

Original post by Oschene23
'worth' doesn't put food on the table.

I don't believe I said it did, now, did I? Last time I checked, relationships didn't revolve around being able to eat or not.
Ah fair enough, but when I went back and read it, it just reinforced everything I've said. I mean what more do I need to prove when someone's own counter study discounts what they say?

I don't understand why the either of you think I'm superimposing this view on women, this is something most women prefer. If they didn't prefer surely I would agree with the contrary which would in turn increase my chances of success with women?

I haven't read the study, like I say, it was rather the fact that you were refusing to read it.

I just object to you saying most women prefer it, with seemingly no grounds for such a view.
Debates don't really need to be about winning an argument..
Reply 197
Debates don't really need to be about winning an argument..

They do where someone claims they're right and others are wrong. What a ridiculous claim.

This is really getting embarrassing now. Can't face seeing your mate make a fool of himself?
no, it should be equal otherwise the relationship doesn't work. :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by Ronove
You pick one sentence which you think supports your point and ignore the entire article which goes against it? Good ****ing job. You win at interpreting articles. If you're just going to take the absolute piss, feel free not to post.

What are you talking about? you're being pedantic. 1) the fact that dominant males had greater social and sexual relationships reinforces the point about their attraction by the opposite sex, 2) the fact dominant males had more children than less dominant ones suggests that not only did they have greater chances to procreate, but women viewed them as a better mating partner, 3) the fact dominant males had a greater chance of extra marital affairs again suggests their sexual capacity and desirabilityby the opposite sex. 4) from that entire article you take the point that they have less have food sharing partners? and I'm the one picking one sentence to support my point? what does that prove anyway? that women who have dominant partner don't struggle as much for their livelihood which again supports the fact that they're desirable?

I quoted your article as well, which coincidentally supported the point about dominant males' deference being able to access greater resources "This is consistent with the idea that women’s preferences for
dominance reflect a desire for romantic partners who are able to protect them from male
conspecifics"
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest