The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

QPR look like they're choking. Excellent.
Reply 321
Original post by Silver Arrows
I want his money.

Fair enough. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Three one-nil wins in a row, thanks to this absolute beauty from Chrissy Martin...

[video="youtube;jfAUptVtkxE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAUptVtkxE[/video]
I want his money.

Spoken like a real modern football fan.
Original post by Midlander
Spoken like a real modern football fan.

Leicester, Forest, QPR etc.
Leicester, Forest, QPR etc.

Your point?
Your point?

The days of the jolly local boy whose done well are long gone. It's all about the big money. I'd be welcome to anyone coming to my club willing to put a lot of money in. Don't tell me you wouldn't be welcome to it.
The days of the jolly local boy whose done well are long gone. It's all about the big money. I'd be welcome to anyone coming to my club willing to put a lot of money in. Don't tell me you wouldn't be welcome to it.

In a nutshell, why English football has gone down the pan.

And there's nothing we can do about it.
Reply 329

The Championship itself is pay up to stay up, let alone to go up. English people don't quite have the money of those abroad investors, the more money the better now I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And there's nothing we can do about it.

In Germany the fans come first, the teams draw the highest crowds in Europe, and the national team wins on penalties. The only thing that's better in England is the endless supply of Bovril...
Original post by CraigWM
The Championship itself is pay up to stay up, let alone to go up. English people don't quite have the money of those abroad investors, the more money the better now I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

German clubs manage quite well with fan owned clubs which run at a profit and compete in Europe. I don't accept that English football must always be a case of which owner has the deepest pockets-that's just not how to run the game.

Vincent Tan?
Assem Allam?
Venkys?

Somehow I doubt it.
Original post by sr90
Vincent Tan?
Assem Allam?
Venkys?

Somehow I doubt it.

As long as I get to see Premier League football. If an owner invests in good players, with the goal of taking Leeds to the Prem then I'm all for it.
As long as I get to see Premier League football. If an owner invests in good players, with the goal of taking Leeds to the Prem then I'm all for it.

So you don't care who pays for it until things start going wrong? As a Leeds fan I'd have thought you'd be more wary of these types but there you go. It's such a short term attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you don't care who pays for it until things start going wrong? As a Leeds fan I'd have thought you'd be more wary of these types but there you go. It's such a short term attitude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well bumbling along in the middle of the Championship isn't any good, is it? I want my team to rise up to the top, and if that means getting a multi-millionaire foreigner running the club instead of John Smith down the road then so be it.
Well bumbling along in the middle of the Championship isn't any good, is it? I want my team to rise up to the top, and if that means getting a multi-millionaire foreigner running the club instead of John Smith down the road then so be it.

That's what I used to think-now my club is a tinpot joke playing 35 miles down the road. Having big investors is not in itself terrible but when they take 100% ownership then it's an enormous gamble which takes things out of the fans' hands and prevents there being any transparency.

The whole reason you're in the Championship is because of shady ownership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I used to think-now my club is a tinpot joke playing 35 miles down the road. Having big investors is not in itself terrible but when they take 100% ownership then it's an enormous gamble which takes things out of the fans' hands and prevents there being any transparency.

The whole reason you're in the Championship is because of shady ownership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cellino has 75%.

GFH put absolutely no money into the club. If we wanted players we had to sell players. It is a risk but if it pays off the reward is huge. I'd rather take that risk instead of spending the next 10 years treading water in the Championship.
Cellino has 75%.

GFH put absolutely no money into the club. If we wanted players we had to sell players. It is a risk but if it pays off the reward is huge. I'd rather take that risk instead of spending the next 10 years treading water in the Championship.

75%, 100%, anything more than 50 and you're in dangerous territory. Good luck to Leeds with this guy but as I said, this is no way for English football to run itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
75%, 100%, anything more than 50 and you're in dangerous territory. Good luck to Leeds with this guy but as I said, this is no way for English football to run itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is anymore than 50 dangerous territory - business men have owned football clubs in mass majorities for a long time, in the main to no issues at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply