The Student Room Group

Are your uni friends your friends for life?

I love my uni friends and I am only still in contact with ONE friend from school, my best friend.

My uni friends, although as happy as me at uni, seem to still be into their school friends too. Although I took a gap year which made a difference.

I love my uni friends to bits and I a much closer to them than any of the people I stopped contacting from school, but I'm scared they'll go off back with their school friends once we finish uni!

Scroll to see replies

Does an answer actually help you here? I'm not sure what is to gain
To me, my childhood friends will probably always be my very good friends. I've known some of them since I was 3 and we've been in a majority of classes together throughout nursery, reception, primary and secondary school, and sixth form. So yeah, I'll probably always be good friends with them, but uni friends are just like meh. They're good to just chill with at the time, don't really see them as dependable or real friends yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I've already made what I think should be friends for a long time at uni. Very dependable, trustworthy and I actually enjoy their company which isn't too common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by HeavyTeddy
To me, my childhood friends will probably always be my very good friends. I've known some of them since I was 3 and we've been in a majority of classes together throughout nursery, reception, primary and secondary school, and sixth form. So yeah, I'll probably always be good friends with them, but uni friends are just like meh. They're good to just chill with at the time, don't really see them as dependable or real friends yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This
Reply 5
any1 wanna be friends for life wid me xD
Reply 6
Nobody can answer this. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It differs from person to person I'd imagine.
Reply 7
Maybe they will but you will be at uni for at least 3 years so it's not like it's not worth making friends even if they 'just' last for that amount of time.

At uni most of my friends were my year or year above so when I graduated many had already moved away (mostly to London) and then within a few months the majority in my year did the same. I had a group of around 10 people who were all friends but only a few were my properly good friends. I still keep in touch through facebook with almost all of them, if I happened to be in the same city as someone we'd meet up but it's only the few good friends who I'll go out of my way to maintain a friendship with. I imagine something like that is fairly typical.
There's an old saying that you can only count your true friends on one hand and that logic definitely applies here.

I'm sure everyone keeps in touch with a few of their friends. Most of them however will just be friends via circumstances, and as soon as you move away the friendship will die as well. I've long accepted that once I graduate i'll probably never speak to the majority of people in my 'friendship group' again.
Reply 9
I don't regularly talk to anyone from my primary school. I'm still in regular touch with one person from secondary school. No one from college. From uni I'm in still in touch with a few, but seeing them is becoming rarer. Most of my friends are friends through the hobbies I do.
Original post by Anonymous
I love my uni friends and I am only still in contact with ONE friend from school, my best friend.

My uni friends, although as happy as me at uni, seem to still be into their school friends too. Although I took a gap year which made a difference.

I love my uni friends to bits and I a much closer to them than any of the people I stopped contacting from school, but I'm scared they'll go off back with their school friends once we finish uni!

Same here I was under the impression that when I go to uni I will make so many good friends and stick together with them for life, as they all say. But no thats not the case I do still talk to them and get on well. I also try to make plans for us ie go to a football match. But nothing really seems to work. So i just talk to them at uni tbh its just because were on the same course, I wouldnt say there great mates ie them giving me advice, because the friendship isnt too strong yet.

All Im saying is give it time enjoy uni with them but do your own stuff, like what you enjoy. Friends come and go but the real ones stay. My friends say stuff like oh im going to see my friends, Im like what about us. Its not really the same as it was in school.

But one question are you living in the halls ? Quote me back
Reply 11
Original post by IMBCFC
Same here I was under the impression that when I go to uni I will make so many good friends and stick together with them for life, as they all say. But no thats not the case I do still talk to them and get on well. I also try to make plans for us ie go to a football match. But nothing really seems to work. So i just talk to them at uni tbh its just because were on the same course, I wouldnt say there great mates ie them giving me advice, because the friendship isnt too strong yet.

All Im saying is give it time enjoy uni with them but do your own stuff, like what you enjoy. Friends come and go but the real ones stay. My friends say stuff like oh im going to see my friends, Im like what about us. Its not really the same as it was in school.

But one question are you living in the halls ? Quote me back

yes I am. I have coursemates and society mates that I really like and get on with but the ones I am talking about in the OP are those who I live with.
I can imagine once I graduate at the end of the year it will be difficult to keep up with uni friends as they are all planning to go back to their home towns
I graduated almost 2 years ago and I don't regularly talk to people from uni but perhaps this is because I went to uni in England then moved back home to Ireland. I'm very unlikely to see them. I am going back over in 2 months for a reunion with a girl I lived with, she's also the 1st girl I talked to in uni and I was friends with her for the whole 3 years. I doubt I will see any of my other uni friends again.

However, I have stayed friends with my school friends. We all live in different cities, a handful still here at home but we still all talk. I think they will be my friends for life.
In my case, it will always be the friends I made from high school.
Reply 15
Its what people say but i got on really well with my college friends and now have no contact with most of them,

I never went to uni but you are only wit these people for three years i still speak to my school friends and I have known them for so long and i am glad they will always be my true friends no matter how much we still argue and fight i just feel those bonds can't be broken.
Original post by Anonymous
yes I am. I have coursemates and society mates that I really like and get on with but the ones I am talking about in the OP are those who I live with.

How long have you lived with them ? I would have thought you would have close bonds living with them as its like a family. But enjoy what you have.
I don't know. I don't tend to be friends with people beyond school apart from 1 to 2 in each stage. I should imagine I'd be friends with perhaps 1-3 from university.
I'm only friend with three people from high school but imagine I'll stay close to quite a few uni people but that may be due to the fact we're all travelling together or the fact we are studying nursing and only other people on the course seem to get our sense of humour lol :smile:
:/ I don't seem to have made any yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending