The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Scroll to see replies

I'm like this.

I've really started to feel it now. For the last 2 years of Uni I've managed to remain quite content with things.

I get the feeling it's because I still live at home and go to uni in my home town. The fact I was meant to go out to Liverpool and had that option taken away for a variety of reasons still leaves me quite resentful and constantly feeling like I shouldn't be studying where I am.

I've struggled to connect with people on my course, simply because 70% of students on my course happen to be international students whilst the rest just generally haven't ever really spoken to me that much.

I've recently tried to join a few societies in the middle of the first semester of my 3rd year and obviously was knocked back for the majority. I've been rejected for almost every part time job I've ever had an interview for.

I'm currently not even engaging with my uni work despite the gruelling dissertation and various other pieces of work which should be in progress. I'm not sure if I'm socially anxious, depressed, a loser or if I've just struggled to adjust from the school environment to this.

What a depressing first post.
Just found this thread I know it's old.
I feel the exact same way I find it hard to make friends and my course is big about 80 I know it's not as much.
I also joined my course 3 weeks in I missed the whole getting to know everyone part as I switched from another course which I was on for a year it had less people I found it easier to get along with everyone and found I could talk to anyone. This year I just feel isolated it's the 2nd semester I hang with a group I don't know them well and I get anxious around new people. It's the 2nd semester I don't even seem bothered about uni anymore haven't gone to many lectures , been skipping days just studying at home. I'd quit but I don't know what else I'm interested in I do enjoy the course it's what I want to do business and possible a masters after. I haven't bothered with any of the events this year at all on my last years course I went out more. I enjoy going out clubbing although when I don't feel that close to anyone I don't like clubbing because if you lose the person you end up on your own.
Nobody ever talks to me first I'm always talking to them first so I start to think why do I even bother /
I'll probably just stay as much as I can I failed my last years course I failed two modules but the course wasn't for me so I'm paying for this year myself next year the student finance pays for me. I'm gonna maybe try harder sometimes I can be quiet so they might just think I don't want to talk. I end up just being on my phone when I feel anxious.
Original post by Maid Marian
Add me to your ignore list then :curious:

No, my problem with life is that I'm ugly.

Don't lose hope , lots of really beautiful girls have really ugly friends to make themselves look better :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
The social life is **** in this uni. I thought we made that obvious, right?

You know, I give up. This is just bashing against the wall with no results. You all win :sigh:

Probably many others have already said this but, If you are not living in halls(bad mistake), you should probably join loads of societies and do stuff you never would of done previously... Although take what i say with a pinch of salt as I'm not currently at uni.
Reply 185
I also just found this thread and feel like i am in a similar situation to you!
I really enjoy my course and have some friends to sit with at uni and chat to and walk home with etc. I have a group who i am living with next year but we are not that close and they really don't like doing any sort of socializing , to me this was all a bit of a shock since i'm used to having a solid friendship group and home and active social life.
In freshers i went out a lot with one of my flatmates and was having good time meeting people , but unfortunately my flatmate dropped out and the other 3 people who i live with have no interest in going out meaning i was unable to go out and therefore meet people (i didn't think a 19 year old girl going to a club alone was a very good idea!)

I do have some other friends who go out a lot however when they do they are all taking drugs which i am not comfortable with doing! and think being the only one who isn't taking them would also not be fun! Staying in all the time is starting to take its toll on me making me feel lonely and isolated and less motivated for uni itself. Any advice?

I tried joining a society and went to several event but the people were nice just weren't that similar to me. Another society i joined has lots of event but they are all going out a clubbing which would be great but if you have no one to go with it not always possible and i don't feel comfortable walking into a full night club on my own :/
I find my anxiety is a lot worse if I haven't exercised I'm always extremely positive after wondering if I should go for a run or do a dance workout or anything just to get me moving in the morning. I was anxious today too I had tutorial to bring in are introductions to get help writing it he was going to look at them I didn't go because I was just in for an hour couldn't be bothered with the stress now I hope I'm doing the write thing. I am with learning support for test anxiety I might speak to them since I've missed my chance the lecturer will assume it's down to laziness. I missed college yesterday to go to the gym I was too stressed and anxious.
I did make a friend in my summer work experience and he and I both made the effort to get to know each other.

But when it comes to uni, make all the effort and they don't care. Best time of my life, my ass.
They say that it will get even worse afterwards...
Im in a lonely situation too
Where i cant make friends
What many people don't understand is that people don't become "friends" just to be friends or based on some emotional attachment. People are "friends" with those who are convenient for them, or who they can get something from. When you arrive to the uni, there will be people who know each other, they keep together, usually in twos, sometimes more. They often don't even have that much in common, but they are "friends" because strengths is in numbers. The rest quickly evaluates each other, and pick up the most confident people, who will later become the head of come cabal. Then go the best-looking, everyone wants to be "friends" with a good-looking person. The rest acknowledge themselves on the margins of social groups, and befriend each other. Then, the rest are people who were not quick enough and adroit enough to do any of the above. They feel lonely and don't understand why no one is "friends" with them. Often, they became victims, when suddenly someone "befriends" them, then that someone asks for whatever they wanted, then dumps the "new friend".
Original post by namename
What many people don't understand is that people don't become "friends" just to be friends or based on some emotional attachment. People are "friends" with those who are convenient for them, or who they can get something from. When you arrive to the uni, there will be people who know each other, they keep together, usually in twos, sometimes more. They often don't even have that much in common, but they are "friends" because strengths is in numbers. The rest quickly evaluates each other, and pick up the most confident people, who will later become the head of come cabal. Then go the best-looking, everyone wants to be "friends" with a good-looking person. The rest acknowledge themselves on the margins of social groups, and befriend each other. Then, the rest are people who were not quick enough and adroit enough to do any of the above. They feel lonely and don't understand why no one is "friends" with them. Often, they became victims, when suddenly someone "befriends" them, then that someone asks for whatever they wanted, then dumps the "new friend".

People with friends don't think about the process like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
People with friends don't think about the process like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cause not. On the first day at the uni, they just look at each other and immediately fall into friendship, just like this, without even knowing anything about each other. A coup de foudre. And all the others are bad losers, whom no one wanted. Not.
Cause not. On the first day at the uni, they just look at each other and immediately fall into friendship, just like this, without even knowing anything about each other. A coup de foudre. And all the others are bad losers, whom no one wanted. Not.

Lol what? It is not like that... Stop making theories to mitigate poor social skills
Original post by ElChapo
Lol what? It is not like that... Stop making theories to mitigate poor social skills
Stop pretending to be better than others, like everyone wants to be your "friend" the second they see you, because of your "wonderful skills" (how do they know about your "skills" if they've just met you?), and all the others are some "losers" with bad skills. You don't have any special skills. You are "friends" with random people, mostly because they lived/live near you. Maybe also you smoke weed together or something.
After having finished my first year at uni, I have to say that although I enjoyed the course, I have not made a single friend at uni. Everytime I go there, I'm mostly invisible. I do have a few conversations with some people sometimes, but never who I really go out with. None of the societies interest me and are mostly asking me to train for national championships (unfortunately I have commitments and can't leave London) or are race/religion based societies. I did decide to go to one event in the Economics society. Everyone was just drinking tons of alcohol and then some of them just left to get high on shisha. I feel that uni is not the best time socially for me. Maybe it's just meeting the wrong people but I feel that I will never will be able to get along with them.

And it's really strange because outside of uni, I never usually struggle to make friends. Maybe I ruined it because I was laughed at before freshers. I don't know - maybe I was not destined to make friends at uni?

Did you not find you relaxed after a sufficient amount of alcohol?
hi, l know how you feel. l just finished my foundation year and going into my first year in September and technically don't have friends. It bothers me a lot, sometimes I think of dropping out but l guess its not the answer. I'm at University of Hull, l tried to be friendly but people have been looking away or sometimes the people who say are my friends never act like it. if anyone wants to talk email me on [email protected]
thanks
Original post by cole-slaw
Did you not find you relaxed after a sufficient amount of alcohol?

I'm only relaxed when drinking alcohol with family. If there's alcohol in a social setting, I get more and more worried that no-one will want to talk to me.

Update: Second year was a mess too. I tried to make friends with my coursemates but they became rude and uninviting after talking to them. I do speak sometimes to some of my coursemates but I don't go out with them.

University, surprisingly for me, was a bit meh. If it wasn't for the interesting course, I'd have quit it ages ago. People constantly hype university up to be the ultimate and best time of your life. School was better, way better. No matter which school I went to, private or state, I worked and played hard. Then, came university and bam, huge disappointment.

They say that it will get even worse afterwards...

Yes, they all do. But having had work experience, even just menial office tasks and whatnot, was a thousand times better at uni. I had better memories hooking up a projector to a TV (this guy who was standing by me spoke French to me and I tried - but failed miserably lol. Still was fun) than anything I ever did at uni.

My self-esteem jumped down since I started uni. I really thought that there was something completely wrong with me. I thought no-one wants me in their life and people will never truly like me. I've learnt that it's not the case as I get on with people just fine outside uni. It's when I'm in uni, the troubles with connecting with at least one person there becomes rather apparent.

I feel the need now to seclude myself to save myself from any more heartbreak. Best to be invisible than to be laughed at.
I'm only relaxed when drinking alcohol with family. If there's alcohol in a social setting, I get more and more worried that no-one will want to talk to me.

Update: Second year was a mess too. I tried to make friends with my coursemates but they became rude and uninviting after talking to them. I do speak sometimes to some of my coursemates but I don't go out with them.

University, surprisingly for me, was a bit meh. If it wasn't for the interesting course, I'd have quit it ages ago. People constantly hype university up to be the ultimate and best time of your life. School was better, way better. No matter which school I went to, private or state, I worked and played hard. Then, came university and bam, huge disappointment.

Yes, they all do. But having had work experience, even just menial office tasks and whatnot, was a thousand times better at uni. I had better memories hooking up a projector to a TV (this guy who was standing by me spoke French to me and I tried - but failed miserably lol. Still was fun) than anything I ever did at uni.

My self-esteem jumped down since I started uni. I really thought that there was something completely wrong with me. I thought no-one wants me in their life and people will never truly like me. I've learnt that it's not the case as I get on with people just fine outside uni. It's when I'm in uni, the troubles with connecting with at least one person there becomes rather apparent.

I feel the need now to seclude myself to save myself from any more heartbreak. Best to be invisible than to be laughed at.

Is QMUL's social life really that bad? I mean there are like 20k+ people studying there. There must be someone you can connect with. From what I've read, they even have a poker society.

I will be studying there this september, so just wanted to find out more.
Original post by Maid Marian
I won't have any friends at uni either. You are not alone :frown:

Is this sarcasm or....
Original post by kimtar13
hi, l know how you feel. l just finished my foundation year and going into my first year in September and technically don't have friends. It bothers me a lot, sometimes I think of dropping out but l guess its not the answer. I'm at University of Hull, l tried to be friendly but people have been looking away or sometimes the people who say are my friends never act like it. if anyone wants to talk email me on [email protected]
thanks

fair play man:smile:

power to your elbow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending