The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zgb1
So, you are obvious a naughty girl :biggrin: (if you know what I mean)

Im not actually. Im deffo going this easter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6441
Original post by okjoy
Hi catholics ! First of all, I respect religious people, but I'm not one at all.
The thing is, my parents force me to go to the church every sunday ... even if they know I'm not a believer at all. I'm 17 and I'll actually be free when I'm 18 by still, it makes me sick, just out of principles ... you could believe you're living the inquisition. I don't dare to miss the office, I'm afraid they'll take my pocket money or something :tongue:
But I really would like them to understand ... its like they're deaf. I hate them for that.
So, yeah, I just wanted to let that out and maybe take the advice of other catholics ?
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Annoying as it may be for you, the easiest thing to do is just to accept it until you're moved out. In the grand scheme of things it's really not that bad.

You could try explaining that you'd rather spend the time at home revising? If you'd rather spend the time sleeping, you may have a rather harder time of it...

Ultimately though, I rather think it comes down to a case of their house, their rules.
Original post by lucine.B
:biggrin:

Oh yea,
forgot you're a catholic.
Original post by Aula
Annoying as it may be for you, the easiest thing to do is just to accept it until you're moved out. In the grand scheme of things it's really not that bad.

You could try explaining that you'd rather spend the time at home revising? If you'd rather spend the time sleeping, you may have a rather harder time of it...

Ultimately though, I rather think it comes down to a case of their house, their rules.
Depends on the church I suppose and your own religious views.
Reply 6443
Original post by zgb1
When was the last time you went to confession?

Last Summer.

And you do know that last Easter was almost a year ago... The TLG and mariagoretti will both have been at a similar time :mmm:
Reply 6444
Original post by keromedic
Oh yea,

Given the thread, I'm presuming Catholic :wink2:
Original post by Aula
Given the thread, I'm presuming Catholic :wink2:

Sorry for explaining myself poorly. That isn't what I meant.
What I was saying is that if one is dragged to church by parents then the experience will vary depending on how 'good' the services are. Plus, if the 'child' is atheist or off another religion then it might understandably seem torturous.
Children don't always have the same religion as parents.
Original post by okjoy
Hi catholics ! First of all, I respect religious people, but I'm not one at all.
The thing is, my parents force me to go to the church every sunday ... even if they know I'm not a believer at all. I'm 17 and I'll actually be free when I'm 18 by still, it makes me sick, just out of principles ... you could believe you're living the inquisition. I don't dare to miss the office, I'm afraid they'll take my pocket money or something :tongue:
But I really would like them to understand ... its like they're deaf. I hate them for that.
So, yeah, I just wanted to let that out and maybe take the advice of other catholics ?
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you :frown: You're not alone though: my parents still try and make my sisters go to church, even though one is agnostic and the other is very firmly atheist :yes:

Original post by zgb1
Damn, you are better than me. I was not to confession longer before you. So, are you nervous before you going there?

Yeah I get **** nervous if I'm going into the confessional, so these days I try and combine it with my spiritual direction sessions with a priest I know and respect and like :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Thanks hun, I appreciate the prayers. I'll be praying for your workload! Remember Dory in Finding Nemo: "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..." :yep:

Anytime! :h: Thank you very much m'dear, the only ima get through this with a miracle :lol: Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you!!! I shall try that :redface: :colondollar:
Original post by zgb1
When was the last time you went to confession?

Christmas, meant to go every Saturday but I always wake up late...even though 9 is early for some people haha! Wbu??? :redface:
Oh yea,

Is that a good or bad thing???
Reply 6449
Sorry for explaining myself poorly. That isn't what I meant.
What I was saying is that if one is dragged to church by parents then the experience will vary depending on how 'good' the services are. Plus, if the 'child' is atheist or off another religion then it might understandably seem torturous.
Children don't always have the same religion as parents.

Yeah, I get that. But it doesn't have any effect on my reply :dontknow:
What I was saying is that if the parents are the "you must go to church every Sunday" type, then it's probably easiest to go along with it until you're old enough to move out.
Reply 6450

Yeah I get **** nervous if I'm going into the confessional, so these days I try and combine it with my spiritual direction sessions with a priest I know and respect and like :colondollar:

Yeah, that is the tricky part. From what I heard the confession at begin had the task to be as some kind pshychology session in the early days. Also, to express concerns about personal problems to a confident person.

Anyway, from what I see I guess it is somehow difficult to be a religious christian in the modern-day western society. What does your friends say about your beliefs, if I may ask?
Original post by zgb1
Yeah, that is the tricky part. From what I heard the confession at begin had the task to be as some kind pshychology session in the early days. Also, to express concerns about personal problems to a confident person.

Anyway, from what I see I guess it is somehow difficult to be a religious christian in the modern-day western society. What does your friends say about your beliefs, if I may ask?

My friends are all quite supportive, even if they don't share the same beliefs themselves :h:
Reply 6452
Original post by lucine.B

Christmas, meant to go every Saturday but I always wake up late...even though 9 is early for some people haha! Wbu??? :redface:

Umm... so about 3 or 4 years. personally, I am more a agnostic but I always liked to go Sundays to church because there was always an opportunity to meet person who I did not see a long time ago or even to meet somebody new, since the place I live has a relative high percentage of religious catholics.
Reply 6453
My friends are all quite supportive, even if they don't share the same beliefs themselves :h:

That is nice. I just did not expect that given all the what the medias tend to propagade.
Original post by zgb1
That is nice. I just did not expect that given all the what the medias tend to propagade.

Well my friends know how much my faith means to me and how much it has helped me. So even if they think it's a load of bunkum, they don't attack me for it :nah:

I totally shouldn't have done this, I'm just putting off writing my lab report. but it's ok, this is a religious thing right...? :ninja:

I got St. James the Greater! You’re a thinker of deep thoughts and a sensitive soul continuously focused on improving yourself and the world around you. An introvert and a wanderer at heart, you’re happiest on the road or planning your next big adventure. You don’t care about material possessions, preferring to spend money on experiences rather than things.

Sounds good to me...
Original post by kath_igidbashian
I totally shouldn't have done this, I'm just putting off writing my lab report. but it's ok, this is a religious thing right...? :ninja:

I got St. James the Greater! You’re a thinker of deep thoughts and a sensitive soul continuously focused on improving yourself and the world around you. An introvert and a wanderer at heart, you’re happiest on the road or planning your next big adventure. You don’t care about material possessions, preferring to spend money on experiences rather than things.

Sounds good to me...

Exactly - religious thing, which is an integral part to your faith journey :yep: :ninja: :yep:

:teehee:

Sounds pretty good!

I wonder if anyone who ever does these quizzes ends up with Judas Iscariot :eek:
Reply 6457
Well my friends know how much my faith means to me and how much it has helped me. So even if they think it's a load of bunkum, they don't attack me for it :nah:

Interesting, may I ask how id your faith helped you?
Original post by zgb1
Interesting, may I ask how id your faith helped you?

I'm mentally ill and my faith is what keeps me going, even when things are horrendous/life-threatening :yep:
Reply 6459
I'm mentally ill and my faith is what keeps me going, even when things are horrendous/life-threatening :yep:

That is nice, I am really happy for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending