The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloxorus
I just got the UCL open day invitation for straight economics!!!

Finally I've got my firm choice sorted :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which day?
I just got the UCL open day invitation for straight economics!!!

Finally I've got my firm choice sorted :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your AS grades and predicted grades mate?
Original post by Szmessh
when did you send your app bro

It was received by UCAS on the 9th October.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Which day?

5th March :smile:

That's the same as yours isn't it?
Original post by RebelV005
What are your AS grades and predicted grades mate?

AS: AAAAA + A* EPQ
Predicted: A*A*AA

I take it you're waiting on UCL still?
AS: AAAAA + A* EPQ
Predicted: A*A*AA

I take it you're waiting on UCL still?

yeah
I got AAAB at AS
And I'm predicted A*A*A

Don't think I stand a chance now :frown:
yeah
I got AAAB at AS
And I'm predicted A*A*A

Don't think I stand a chance now :frown:

You do!! Those grades are great!

What are your GCSEs like as I've always been told they love a good GCSE performance. Mine were absolutely shocking (1A*, 5As, 5Bs, 1C) which always made me think I'd get rejected seeing as I'm up against loads of people with 10A*+. So I guess that shows you can afford to have one poor part of the application.
You do!! Those grades are great!

What are your GCSEs like as I've always been told they love a good GCSE performance. Mine were absolutely shocking (1A*, 5As, 5Bs, 1C) which always made me think I'd get rejected seeing as I'm up against loads of people with 10A*+. So I guess that shows you can afford to have one poor part of the application.

GCSEs 6A* and 5As

Considering you didn't do so well at GCSEs, how did you get yourself to achieve such good grades at AS (Cos they are exceptional)?
5th March :smile:

That's the same as yours isn't it?

Yh, guess I can say 'I told you so' :u:
GCSEs 6A* and 5As

Considering you didn't do so well at GCSEs, how did you get yourself to achieve such good grades at AS (Cos they are exceptional)?

Id say 90% of it was moving to a better school.

My previous school didn't even get 60% of students 5A*-C grades. The teaching was awful, they didn't teach us how to revise, basically everyone just wanted to mess around etc.

So I moved to a new school where they showed me the importance of past papers, I was given loads of support, encouraged to work hard, everyone else wants to work as well etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17
May I ask what you got in terms of UMS at AS and what you were predicted for A2?

...also GCSE grades if you are willing? thanks

4As at AS, UMS 92%, predicted A*A*AA. GCSE 9A*
Original post by Yllasjarvi
4As at AS, UMS 92%, predicted A*A*AA. GCSE 9A*

That's brilliant. I'm unsure about my GCSE grades, granted they're good but comparatively not as great (7A*, 2A, 1C... I decided I wanted to go to university quite late and by that time damage was done, I just had my final year to resolve things and I feel I did to some degree); I'll be dropping a subject for A2 year and obviously picked up AS FM if my timetable allows me.

Will doing 3A2s be a hinderance? There's no way I'm continuing English into A2, plus it frees up time to focus on FM.
Original post by Jamessmith14
I got those grades at AS and received an offer a few weeks back

Are you predicted the same as me?
Original post by EHZ17
That's brilliant. I'm unsure about my GCSE grades, granted they're good but comparatively not as great (7A*, 2A, 1C... I decided I wanted to go to university quite late and by that time damage was done, I just had my final year to resolve things and I feel I did to some degree); I'll be dropping a subject for A2 year and obviously picked up AS FM if my timetable allows me.

Will doing 3A2s be a hinderance? There's no way I'm continuing English into A2, plus it frees up time to focus on FM.

No 3A2s is fine. All my offers are based on 3A2s, apart from Warwick which has given A*AAa or A*AAB. I only carried on with 4 because I got my highest UMS in the subject I was planning to drop and it seemed the best way to maximize my chances of making the overall grade requirements.
Reply 3154
Anyone not had a response from Warwick yet?
Original post by Yllasjarvi
No 3A2s is fine. All my offers are based on 3A2s, apart from Warwick which has given A*AAa or A*AAB. I only carried on with 4 because I got my highest UMS in the subject I was planning to drop and it seemed the best way to maximize my chances of making the overall grade requirements.

And I guess you were absolutely right! Where have you decided to go to university?

It is a long way off yet before I apply, I'm just thinking is it pointless having applying to Cambridge when you are applying to UCL, Warwick and possibly LSE... maths permitting. Cambridge just seems impossible to get into and it takes away an application place. Did you apply there too?
Original post by EHZ17
And I guess you were absolutely right! Where have you decided to go to university?

It is a long way off yet before I apply, I'm just thinking is it pointless having applying to Cambridge when you are applying to UCL, Warwick and possibly LSE... maths permitting. Cambridge just seems impossible to get into and it takes away an application place. Did you apply there too?

Can't make my mind up now! Think I'll wait until nearer the deadline to decide. Still have to go to the Durham open day. Didn't apply to Cambridge/LSE as no FM, but applied to Oxford & got as far as interview stage.
Invitation for UCL OPEN DAY on 12th MARCH!
When I visit UCL for the open day, Is that a certain conditional offer?
Invitation for UCL OPEN DAY on 12th MARCH!
When I visit UCL for the open day, Is that a certain conditional offer?

Yep! Congrats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EHZ17

I got to interview stages at Oxford Trinity College and received all my 4 other offers with 3A2's and didn't study FM so I would so no :smile: if the rest of your application is strong.
I was predicted A*A*A*A if I took 4a2's and A was in Econ (cause I got a low 85%ums average due to stupid Econ 1), and wanted A* in Econ so I dropped chem and now predicted A*A*A*. So depends on your own circumstances if you want to take 4a2's or 3!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending